Changing your transmission fluid - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Tutorial Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 Old 05-03-2012, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
lqh2552

Changing your transmission fluid

I recently changed my transmission fluid and figured it wouldn't hurt to share how I went about it. It's pretty simple as I assume many on this forum have already done it, but hopefully this might help someone. Although the fluid is listed as "fill for life", I figure it wouldn't hurt to change it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

REDLINE1313 on 09-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqh2552 View Post
I figure it wouldn't hurt to change it since I was at 125k miles.
I hope it works ok for you. I know with automatics the rule has always been if you are going to change the tranny fluid to do it every 30k. If you dont change it you should never change it unless something is wrong. The problem with changing it after 125k is tranny fluid has a detergent aspect to it so all of the crud that has built up in all the nooks and corners of your tranny can brake free and clog something up. This usually means death to an automatic I dont think that a manual has to worry as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
GMRedline on 09-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAaron View Post
30k now, uh oh. Is it bad long term? O.o

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
No. I didn't realize you had your car that long to give opinions on the long term effects of using one product over another.

iAaron on 09-29-2012, 01:37 PM
O :P yeah I purchased it 30k miles ago, did the oil, flushed radiator, changed transmission fluid, and new brake fluid/fuel filter. Didn't do the ic pump till yesterday though ( broke it off whiles changing manifold.) but back to topic, iv been meaning to ask how long have you been running your 2.6 set up for? (mileage wise)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
GMRedline on 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
I have been running E85 for just over 3 years. About half that time I was running the M62 with a little pulley and the other half I have been running a TVS. So maybe 15k on the 2.6" and 15k on the TVS?

BigBrother on 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Any special instructions here? Like, are they reverse threaded or something? I can NOT get that fucking bolt out. Trying to drain the trans to ship.
Droxity on 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Nothing special for me when I did it...little hard to break loose initially...def not reverse threaded.
ARM on 10-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Panther piss FTW
BigBrother on 10-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Warning to those who follow: These are in tight as fuck the first time; BUT - when they break loose, they are finger-loose INSTANTLY. It's just the initial bite that's so hard. Result? Strain like hell - BAM - breaks loose and slams your knuckles into the ground, lol. Twice, because they're the same.

Also note - the make-shift breaker bar consisting of an 8mm hex key, 8mm socket, and 10" socket extension works on BOTH if you position it right; no need to build the other hooptie, lol.
rochford77 on 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM
so im doing this, i made a hex key contraption like he did in this 'how to'. i used a hex key that was a little tight on the bottom one with the clearance but poped right onto the bolt. i broke the bottom bolt loose but i cant loosen it or get the hex key out! its stuck against the frame, even if i tighten the bottom bolt back in i cant get my hex key back and now its just hanging underneath the car....any ideas? :-(
redlining04 on 05-05-2013, 02:03 PM
I believe I used mt-90 or something I cant remember but bottle in garage, great write up. Like the 90 allen wrench drain bolt is always a fun one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in