Magna Wins Opel Bid, Wants to Build Cars in Canada - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
Magna Wins Opel Bid, Wants to Build Cars in Canada

By solidifying a deal to take control of GM's European operations, Canada's Magna International Inc. is eager to start producing Opel cars in Canada.

"We want to build Opel cars in Canada," said company founder and CEO Frank Stronach. "Canada should have its own Canadian company … a truly Canadian automobile industry."

The third largest auto parts supplier in the world, Magna certainly has the resources and the know-how - it just doesn’t have the facilities to build cars in Canada. That, however, might all change as Chrysler may close operations and General Motors Canada recently shut down its truck plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

The lower value of the Canadian currently would likely help matters and should be enough to easily offset the cost of shipping vehicles to Europe - although it's not clear that Canadian-built cars would be for the European market, as moving production outside of Germany would certainly be a devastating public relations move.

What Stronach may have in mind is for Opel-based cars to be built in Canada for distribution in Canada and the U.S. As Magna is also currently bidding to take control of Saturn from GM, it's entirely possible that production of those models, all but one of which are based on Opel vehicles, could happen in Magna's backyard.

There is also a strong possibility that Magna will expand into the Russian car market.

Magna's partners in the Opel deal include Sberbank of Russia and both Stronach and Magna have strong ties to Russia. Stronach actually did work as an auto industry adviser for Prime Minister Vladimir Putin and Russian Magna investor Oleg Deripaska (the owner of Russian truck maker GAZ) has had long standing aspirations to sell consumer cars.

Building Opel models in Russia is a strong possibility, however, it is unlikely those models would be exported to Europe.

General Motors is expected to announce final candidates for the sale of Saturn in the next few weeks.

More: Magna Wins Opel Bid, Wants to Build Cars in Canada on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Oh eff yeah!

Tyler
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM

what does this mean for us? cliff notes?

Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM

The Opel/Vauxhall brand will be sold in North America, and GM and Chrysler will possibly have an chance to sell their closed/closing plants in Ontario.

Tyler
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 AM

aah got ya. thanks!

Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM

Where is DTCD? He'll probably jizz in his pants when he sees that his two favorite brands will be sold over here.

Tyler
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:19 AM
sold my body 4 turbo parts, but im still slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_5 View Post
Where is DTCD? He'll probably jizz in his pants when he sees that his two favorite brands will be sold over here.
*excited voice* oh hell yes.
now they should sell me the speedster for 2k....
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:09 PM

The move magna is thinking about doing with opel and saturn seems like one of the problems saturn now has with gm. Creating competition within itself. Since both brands are pretty much the same it doesn't make sense for a company to carry both brands unless they change them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceisthesht View Post
The move magna is thinking about doing with opel and saturn seems like one of the problems saturn now has with gm. Creating competition within itself. Since both brands are pretty much the same it doesn't make sense for a company to carry both brands unless they change them.
Magna didn't buy Saturn.... just Opel and Vauxhall.
Who ever buys Saturn will have to take the brand in a different direction from the Opel styling that GM intended.

Tyler
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_5 View Post
Magna didn't buy Saturn.... just Opel and Vauxhall.
Who ever buys Saturn will have to take the brand in a different direction from the Opel styling that GM intended.

Very true, but in the 5th paragraph it says that magna is currently bidding for saturn from gm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in