Falken Azenis RT615 Or Nitto 555EP - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Falken Azenis RT615 Or Nitto 555EP

I hate to start another tire debate, but I just want some opinions. For now these tires will be used to make some passes at the drag strip, but in the next few weeks I'll probably get a set of DR's.

Which would last longer? Better wet traction? Better cornering? Stickier?

The Azenis are 225/45R17 and the Nittos are 225/40ZR17. The Nitto's are $1 more then the Falkens, so that isn't really a factor.

I am leaning towards the Falken's because I think that there are a few people running them on here but my friend thinks I should get the Nitto's. I am going to order one of them at the end of the day.

04 Redline,
Power: HP Tuners, 2.6 ZZP pulley, 60 lbs injectors, Snow Performance Methanol Injection, Cobalt Addiction HE, Cat-less mid pipe, K&N CAI, ZEX Hyperformance plugs, Jason Smith Header, SMS Ported TB
Handling: Eibach Pro Drop, BFG DR's, Strut Tower, Rear Sway
BWoody: Solid Mounts, Tractions bars, Sway Bar Endlinks, Powercoated Valve Cover

13.431/103.68/9-14-06 @ MIR

"I'd say in a givin week, I probably do about 15 minutes of real, actual work."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Superd00d

I dont have any time on the tires yet, but I have driven Rice's car, with matching suspension mods, with the exception of the Aziens.

The 615's are REAL good in turns. I mean REAL good. I've never driven on a tire so sticky in my life. They will wear quick. I wouldn't suggest them as a daily driver if you can avoid it. I'm not sure how to comare with the Nittos, however.

I put the Dunlops on for as long as I could ,until my next race. I have an Autox that I'm attending this weekend, but I'll keep the Dunlops on for that still. I'd prefer the ability to swap them right off the car, but I can't afford rims right now!

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM

I'm not a big fan of Nitto tires to begin with, but I'd never use a 40 series to do drag launches. The sidewall just doesn't have enough give for my liking.

Azenis get my vote.

Jay™

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWastedYears
I'm not a big fan of Nitto tires to begin with, but I'd never use a 40 series to do drag launches. The sidewall just doesn't have enough give for my liking.

Azenis get my vote.
Even the Falkens though, the sidewall is so stiff it's almost unreal. You can bounce on one, and the sidewall dosen't even flex...

The stock tires have a great compromise of stick and treadwear, but they're expensive....

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM

I would personally never drag race on 17s. That's just pure silliness. I had a set of 15" chromies w/ MTs for that.

So far, I'm liking the Dunlops. When they wear out, I'll prolly switch back to Yokohama AVS ES100. A lot of my friends swear by the BFG KDW2s, but I haven't tried them yet.

Jay™
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Superd00d

Agreed, a 17", 40 or 45 series tire is not good for take offs... no wrinkle in the sidewall at all...

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 AM

Man, I used to swear by the Yokahama AVS intermedeate, then got a set of GoodYear Eagles (not sure which model, but they were on sale and normally pretty expensive) and I loved the Eagles when I had 'em. Like you PT, I want a tire that has it all, good handling, traction off the line(but that's less important than cornering for me) and I want good wet traction with a good tread wear rating!I don't know which ones to get now either!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts-Up
Man, I used to swear by the Yokahama AVS intermedeate, then got a set of GoodYear Eagles (not sure which model, but they were on sale and normally pretty expensive) and I loved the Eagles when I had 'em. Like you PT, I want a tire that has it all, good handling, traction off the line(but that's less important than cornering for me) and I want good wet traction with a good tread wear rating!I don't know which ones to get now either!
I wish there was one person with the 555's to say I love them or I hate them. I think the only drawback to the Falken's is the life span. They handle excellent, dry, and decent wet, and they aren't too expensive. I am really leaning towards that direction. I guess I will know within a few months if the rubber is hard enough to be daily driven.

As for drag racing with 17's, the only smaller size rims you can fit on our cars is 16's. The selection of DR's and slicks in the 17 inch size is far more then the 16"

04 Redline,
Power: HP Tuners, 2.6 ZZP pulley, 60 lbs injectors, Snow Performance Methanol Injection, Cobalt Addiction HE, Cat-less mid pipe, K&N CAI, ZEX Hyperformance plugs, Jason Smith Header, SMS Ported TB
Handling: Eibach Pro Drop, BFG DR's, Strut Tower, Rear Sway
BWoody: Solid Mounts, Tractions bars, Sway Bar Endlinks, Powercoated Valve Cover

13.431/103.68/9-14-06 @ MIR

"I'd say in a givin week, I probably do about 15 minutes of real, actual work."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Superd00d

Check dl's tires... that might be them...

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 03:01 PM

Skip the Falkens, and the Nittos - Toyo RA-1's.

Red Redline club member #002
:: 42.5#ers :: 3.0" SFPH :: B&G Drop :: K&N Drop In :: Copper Core Plugs :: Tibbett/Photo Antenna Mod :: Tuned by NoRemorse ::
From the Great White North to the Durty South. I'm in Myrtle Beach now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in