First Manual - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Arrow First Manual

Well I've had my Redline for almost a month now. It's my first 5 speed and I've gotten the basics out of the way. I'm not an amazing driver by any means but I'd like to think I have alot of potential (hopefully LOL)

My first question I guess is am I spending to much time in first gear? I'm not doing tire chirping launches, I'm just taking off quickly to get a feel for it and I'm going from first to second at about 5 grand. Now once I hit 2nd this car is a rocket (love it!). But in first gear it just doesn't seem like a whole lot is going on. Someone told me this is mainly because first is really just to get you rolling. So does that mean I should be shifting out of it sooner or what?

Any tips for the 5 speed newb are welcome! Thanks guys!

If I can think of anything else I'll post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:46 PM

first gear, mainly from a roll is insane!

traction is an issue in 1st. despite its 30 mph, or 42

i think its pretty intense.

keith-

04 Saturn ION RedLine - Silver Nickel

S2+ with no traction and a weak clutch...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Update: everything needed has been done, the cars running great
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DIRECTOR OF SECURITY: Silver and Black Horde
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have noticed the wheel hop... woo fuggin hoo. I thought my wheel hop on my old Nitroused SC2 was bad hehe.

Well this came out wrong. The car doesn't feel slow. That's not what I mean. I just want to know when's a good time to shift out of it? I know what you mean by the from a roll though... I went around some idiot in first (from a stop sign) and hit the rev limiter in what felt like .1 second heh

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 PM

Well, I've had my RL for just about a month now also...

5K seems a bit high for normal starts to me. I usually shift between 3 and 4K in normal driving, i.e. not trying to start fast. Trying to take off fast is a whole different story. I have also been driving standards as my primary car since 1983 so I have a bit more experence.

Hope the RL keeps being as much fun for you as it is for me.

Driving a 2006 Chile Pepper Red Redline with Comp Package and Stage 2, 110K miles.

Red Clan Grand Master Assassin...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah I'm having a blast. The shit eating grin on my face when I drive this car... People probably think I'm a tard when they see me driving.

I'm just getting a feel for where the power is best to transfer to the next gear. I don't normally shift into 2nd at 5k hehe. With gas the way it is I shift at about 3k right now so I'm not filling up every 3 days.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:19 PM

Here is my take on first...

Some people launch from around 2K or so...

I launch from an idle... Always have, always will... Catches people by suprise.

I have been driving manual transmission cars since '91, so I hope that qualifies me as knowing what I'm talking about.

I'll let the clutch out til it starts to grab a bit... Ease on the gas and ease out the clutch... Just like a "normal" take off, only faster... If that makes sense. With the RL, you have to take it easy in the low end of first gear... "Roll" into the gas, meaning as the revs get progressively higher, put more of your foot into the peddle. You'll learn where it bogs and where it hops over the next few months.

Keep practicing. The key to a successful lauch is this. Do not bog your engine, and to not lose traction. It takes a lot of practice with the RL, and admittedly I have not perfected it even after almost 9000 miles of ownership... But I am far better at lauching the car now than I was when I bought it.

And yeah, First gear is a monster because it's so short. You can literally go from a stand still to the top of first inside 2 seconds. So all that explanation up there ^^, keep in mind, that all happens VERY quickly...

Don't lose the faith... Keep practicing, and it will all come together as you become one with the car...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 PM

During everyday driving (i.e. not beating the piss out of it) I shift between 2k and 3k RPM's.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 PM

You drive normal? Sorry..to/from work shifts around 2-3k..everywhere else shifts when my redlight on the shift lights comes on and screams PLEASE SHIFT ME FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....

I copy and paste RWD rocks into every thread.

'05 turbo ZX10r
'15 Chevy Trax (I'm old and boring now)

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Superd00d

The only reason I ever use first gear in this car is when I'm at a dead stop. Even then, it's only to get into 2nd gear. You can actually move from a stop in the Redline without using the gas pedal, try it sometime. Pretty amusing to me. You can also start in 2nd and it dosen't even feel that odd to me, I did it quite a few times when the car was new...

Get out of 1st gear ASAP... that's my idea...

When racing, I give it enough gas to just keep the tires under control and then try to peek at the speedo till I see roughly 30 mph... now I just sorta time it. Let the tires spin a little and then jam it into 2nd when I think I'm going almost 30 or so...

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM

Hey Spooner, ever start off without using the gas on ice in winter? It's amusing when you spin the tires doing that

And try rev'in up to like 5K and starting in 2nd...hehehe, it feels like rev'in and dumping the clutch in 1st in my old cavy.

1 of 782 2004 Electric Blue ION Red Line -- 1 of ~720 Canadian Red Lines -- 1 of 292 Canadian '04 Red Lines

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in