Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

The "my Red Line is fine just the way it is: Stock" thread

7K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  Aeain 
#1 ·
Alright, everyone. I read a lot of posts on here about "mods" and "wanting to make mods" and "needing to make mods."

Some of the reponses to these threads almost sound desperate - as if the car will die if they don't get that mod. They almost make it sound like it's a bad word to have a Red Line that's just stock.

Well, I don't get it. As many of you may have read from my earlier posts, I came from an 85HP 93 SC1, so my jump to 205HP was a significant deal and, more importantly, sufficient. So I can't see why it's so important to get that extra 5HP or 10HP or whateverHP. My car is fast just as it is. I'm I'm completely satisfied with it.

Plus, making some mods are most likely going to void warranties - which came along with the car. Why take the chance?

What is this "need" to make these modifications? And if you really sit down and think deep about it, wouldn't you be just as happy with the car as stock? I mean, how much more horse power is it going to take to make you happy with your Red Line?

I think it's everyone's talking about making mods that sets off everyone else.

Well, I'm starting this thread for those of us who are happy with our Red Lines in their stock configuration. Speak out and let us know it.

I'm happy with my Ion Red Line just the way it is: Stock! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Preach the gospel bro I am with you.I am thrilled after a week in my redline much faster than my vibe even though I might do some minor things things to help performance like a different air filter maybe some exhaust work and a ECU update that is it.......maybe. ;)

#3 ·
Well we are such a small market. The Redline only has 5000 built last year. It is a different kind of car ( yes obvious pun there). I think this need is to make it even more different. To individualize a car and turn it into something more. Something personal. Something to make it stand out even more than it already does. Saturn did a great job in getting it as far as they did. But some of us (not all) want to take it further. If that makes any sence.

#4 ·
modding is a disease, and an obsession. It starts small, and keeps progressing until it takes up a significant amount of your thoughts.

It is for people who like to push limits, and for people who love to drive and want their car to reach it's potential - to get better. It is a natural thing for humans to strive, achieve and get better. If you take up a sport you constantly want to become better than you were before, to improve on yourself. Well, for many people their car is not just a transportation mechanism, it is an extension of their own self-concept. Making their car perform better makes them feel like they are improving on their own life.

The human species is biologicaly driven to make any aspect of their like better,that is how we survived and partially how we became the dominant species on the planet.

Also some people just like to go fast. Vrrooommm, Vrrrooommm.

#5 · (Edited)
That's cool you wanna keep your car stock. It's a great car right off the showroom floor, no doubt.

However, personally, I think it's a whole helluva lot of fun to fix up your car whether it be performance wise or visual enhancement.

I just enjoy doing it.

If you guys like your car stock, more power to ya. But some of us like to strive for that little bit (or a lot ;) ) extra.

#6 ·
I'm agreeing with you 100%. Our cars were engineered to be damn good right off the lot. These aren't boring Civics or regular stock cars. The reason I bought my Red Line is because I needed something fun to drive, and wanted the warranties in case anything goes wrong, because something usually does. The only need for mods is if you don't care about the warranties and expensive fixes, or if you compete it whether in autocross or on the strip. But right off the lot, these cars are supposed to be fun to drive and ready to compete with flashy looks inside and out, excellent handling, and a good enough amount of power. So I'll keep mine stock for now, that's the way I'm happy with it :)

#7 ·
I agree with you JD.
I'm comming from a 91 SL2 (the original "Saturn", 1st year). So the HP is unreal compaired to what I was use to. So I see me doing no mods to mine. Other than a few cosmetic things. Like installing the MUST have grill in the front (still don't know why it wasn't there from factory) and maybe a few other little things. But I can see why others want the mods.....the need for speed! I wouldn't mind doing some myself but I have other needs for my $$$.

#8 ·
I'm torn. Part of me says, "don't mod it-you'll just void the warranty & screw yourself down the road", & another part says, "we need more power, Cap'n!". I love cars, speed, & power at my command but understand that the more you tweak an engine, the more likely it'll break. I also known my luck. I'm pretty sure that, as long as I can afford it, I'll mod mine. That's the reason I joined the forum; to keep tabs on performance mods.

#11 ·
It's been 9 months and my Red Line is still freaking fast.

It still surprises me how much power it has - no matter how many times I use it.

In fact, each time I press on the accelerator I start to think, "Oh, it's not really that fast." Then the power kicks in and then I think, "I was wrong, this thing is FAST!"

#12 ·
tlake84 said:
Just wait... Maybe a month or two will pass and then your Redline will start to seem slower and slower...
Exactly. I also went from a no-power SC to the RL & it seemed great at first but I've adjusted. If it can't scare me when I punch it, then I need more power. ;)

#14 ·
Everyone has there own opinions on things. There is just a need in a lot of people that want to mod there car. They want to make there car reflect there lifestyle and there personality. Thats why we choose opitions with our car. I can't say it any better then how it was already said about humans striving to be the best. See growing up I've always wanted "the perfect car" in my eyes. Something to turn heads and thats talked about among people on the block like "Did you see that blue saturn?!", "Isn't that Dexter's car?" I don't know maybe I"m crazy. I always also wanted to maybe have my car featured somewhere like a magazine or a car site or something like that. Its just a want in peoples lives that get us to do what we do to our cars. However you wanna keep your car stock thats your option to do so so more power to you!!

#15 ·
Osmose said:
modding is a disease, and an obsession. It starts small, and keeps progressing until it takes up a significant amount of your thoughts.

i couldn't have said it better

#16 ·
I guess being an old fart, I come from the " if its working don't F**k with it" school of thought. I outgrew the need to be the first one on my block with the newest and greatest long ago. I've been the guniea pig for so many new ideas I've lost count. I am perfectly content to let someone else reinvent hte wheel AND work the bugs out. When it is time tested and proven by factory, or general usage, I'll try 'er out. The key here is why did we buy a Redline Ion? if modding was our obsession, the SRT4 would be a much better choice as it has tons of stuff and pkgs. available. I bought the Redline because it is a great daily driver with power on tap when I feel the need for speed. I looked at the Scion TC and the main reason I chose the RL was it was built for, and with, the S/C in mind. The TC was more of an add-on mod.
OK I'll get off my soapbox now. I wish all Redline owners the same level of satifaction I have, whether you're a stocker or a modder. No car gives you more grins for the buck! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

#18 ·
I think that pretty much all redline owners are content with their purchase except for a select few, but the need to mod doesn't mean they aren't happy, but in fact, that they need to do stuff to their car to fill a part of their lives that would otherwise be empty. I tried not modding my new ION, I lasted probably a couple months before I had "the itch" again.

#19 ·
Modifying a vehicle is like art, sorta of self expression. Some people are into it, others aren't. To each their own. I got my Redline as a daily driver, simple as that. I wanted something that was peppy, yet comfortable and under warranty. I told myself if I mod it, only an intake or something to that nature. Well as of right now I've been fighting myself wheather or not to mod it, I bought the header for it. Still going with an intake. I want to drop it and get an exhaust, but then I'm defeating the whole purpose of my daily. If I want something more wild and extreme, I'll just go drive the loud yet fun garaged vehicle. That is my only savior as of right now...

Still don't know what to do, only time will tell. I just enjoy this car, however, it is not fast by any means. It is pretty peppy and fun. I'm just going to give in and buy an R1, settle all my speed needs.

Tom

#20 ·
Yeah when the mod bug hits...it HITS. When i get my redline i think ill do an intake and thats about it. Put it a little above the rest..but shouldnt hurt warranty too bad.

#21 ·
I have had the mod bug since I could first drive. I can't leave well enough alone, it's in my blood.

I have been working on my car since I first got it.When I bought this I was looking for a car that I could tinker with and still be a daily driver. I had to sell my Typhoon because I needed a daily driver I could haul my son around in and not make him deaf. 500hp big shaft turbo V6's that barely idle, run on 110 octane and need to be tuned on a weekly basis don't make good daily drivers. So to me, the car is pretty slow when I look at what I drove last but I am still happy with the base performance for a factory stock car. 300hp is the number I am shooting for for this car.

Tom01SC2, I agree 100%. Modifying a vehicle is art..

#23 ·
Lets be honest, 99% of the RLs out there are bone stock and will stay that way. Thats cool. My RL is a project car. It is a daily driver for now and will stay that way for a couple of months until I buy anouther car (92 Civic si HB). People can do what ever they want with there cars. Daily drivers should stay stock or at least close to is. For me that just wont cut it. I wont to be the first RL in the low 13's. Its all about your reasons for buying the car.

#24 ·
Well, im only 18, and to own this type of car, i feel very very lucky. My last car, i did my suspension, performance, exhaust, interior....but nothing is as good as stock, lets face it...IT WAS MADE FOR THE CAR. I still have the modding bug, but im not taking this far at all. Im going to get some rims, and a couple performance parts and thats it. this car is awesome as it stands.

#26 ·
Still don't know what to do, only time will tell. I just enjoy this car, however, it is not fast by any means. It is pretty peppy and fun. I'm just going to give in and buy an R1, settle all my speed needs.

Tom[/QUOTE]

It's fine if someone wants to mod their cars, it's fine if you want it stock. Different strokes for different folks ya know.

I agree with you Tom, the car is not FAST. It's quick and fun to drive, but not fast. In my opinion you have to break the 12 second barrier to be FAST. in the 13's your pretty fast.

I'm fine with my ION RL the way it is now, i want it to be faster in the future. My wallet does not permit any mods at the moment. i went from a 200hp 1st gen DSM AWD,then to a 450hp 1st gen DSM AWD, then to a underpowered-yet-fun-to-drive s13 240sx (about 160hp) and now to my ION RL. The 205 horses isnt WOW to me, but it's definitely not boring. Dont get me wrong the RL holds its own with many cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.