Edmunds blurb - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Edmunds blurb

Quote:
Another of GM's budget sports cars, the Saturn Ion Red Line, seems to deliver plenty of spunk for its cost of $22,687. Our statistics show, however, that over the course of standard ownership, the customer will pay $38,615 — 70 percent more than the original purchase price of the car — in standard operating costs.
Of course I think they're also assuming over 2000 a year for insurance alone...

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov
I do love my car, it's kinda like being in love with a really hot Redneck girl who likes to burp, fart, and not brush her teeth every day. You know she has so much potential, if she could only get the little things right......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 AM

well I pay about 3000 a year for insurance, so thats about right.

'04 ION Redline
My mods cost more than my car is worth.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoungeLizard

I'm sorry but HOLY SHIT, you've gotta be under 21.... and you've gotta have a driving history.....

have we had this discussion before?

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.
-George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
I do love my car, it's kinda like being in love with a really hot Redneck girl who likes to burp, fart, and not brush her teeth every day. You know she has so much potential, if she could only get the little things right......

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoungeLizard

HOLY CRAP!!!

I am @ $1000 a year!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtsky
HOLY CRAP!!!

I am @ $1000 a year!
that's what i'm saying... I know the average board member here isn't paying more than 1500 a year

-George Bernard Shaw

Quote:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 03:40 PM

I don't get Edmunds' reasoning in that article. I understand looking at total cost of ownership. But why does the percentage difference between total cost of ownership and original purchase price matter?

In fact, all that does is mathematically punish cars with relatively low original purchase prices, because the ratio of their yearly operating costs (primarily insurance, fuel, maintenance, and repairs) to their original purchase price is bound to be much higher. For example, the 2006 SL65 AMG is calculated over five years at about $16.4K for insurance, $15.0K for fuel, $6.8K for maintenance, and $3.1K for repairs, for an exact total of $41360. Of course, that is only about 20% of the $200K+ purchase price. In contrast, the 2006 Ion Redline is calculated at about $12.6K for insurance, $8.3K for fuel, $3.5K for maintenance, and $0.8K for repairs, for an exact total of $25217. That is a lot lower operating cost, but it is still over 100% of the $22K purchase price. And because the operating costs are proportionately higher for the Saturn, Edmunds claims the SL65 AMG is a "better value".

And that same reasoning will apply across the board: the more a car costs, generally the "better value" this formula will say it has, pricely because the operating costs won't go up as much as the purchase price. Edmunds even notices that effect itself ("The most accurate prediction about sports and performance cars is that the cheaper vehicles tend to cost their owners more over the years in proportion to their original cost than more expensive vehicles"), but they seem to overlook the fact that they built this "prediction" into their formula!

So, like I said, I understand looking at total cost of ownership. But if you look at two cars, and one has a total cost of ownership of $40K and the other a total cost of ownership of $210K, then I don't care if the first car originally cost $22K and the second car originally cost $205K ... at the end of the 5 year window you are still out of pocket $40K on the first car and $210K on the second car, and that is the number which matters.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM

How can they properly assess the long term operating cost of a vehicle that's only been out for 3 yrs?

Jay™
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM

i pay like 40 bucks a month.... im 21 but married

Member #001 - put a dry charger on dog face to give it 10hp to the rear legs
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid
that's what i'm saying... I know the average board member here isn't paying more than 1500 a year
I guess if the average population here is 25+ and married.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt
I guess if the average population here is 25+ and married.
im 21 and pay 150 a month but i got no record.(thanks 2 my radar detector )

05 red redline
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

k&n cold air intake
b&m short throw
eibach springs
weapon r damper
sfph 3.0" pulley
ngk bkr7e plugs
custom a-piller pod
1 of 286 red rl's
1 of 3 rl's in CT(that i know of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in