Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

2006 Ion electrical problems, won't start

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  golden chicken 
#1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday, I had some trouble turning off my car; I was able to turn off the engine, but I couldn't turn the key past the "Accessory" position (I was able to remove my key, though). I waited a few minutes (like 3-5), heard a click, and then I was able to turn my key to the "Lock" position and was able to lock and leave my car. About a half hour after, I tried to start my car again. The overhead dome light and the lights on the dash were dimmer than usual, and then when I tried to start my car, I heard a "CLANKCLANKCLANKCLANKCLANK" repeatedly (sort of like a machine gun), and (simultaneously) all the lights on the dash flashed rapidly. The dimness problem got worse as I kept trying to start my car (with the same results), so I replaced the battery today. It started up fine ONCE, and then I wasn't able to start it again: this time, I didn't get the clanking sound and the flashing lights: just silence and blank light displays on my dash. :mecry:

Any advice on what to do? Thanks! :)

#2 ·
It's probably going to be an issue with the ignition cylinder. I've personally never experienced the problem myself, but it seems to be a common issue. Other will probably jump in soon to confirm.

Also, is your car kept outside? And what is your location? I'm in Jersey and its been about 5 degrees in the morning and 20 degrees during the day. These cars are notorious for having trouble with cold starts.

#3 ·
The 2006 Saturn is in sunny Southern California. The ignition switch problems we've read about seem related to cold mornings that cause a lubricant to get hard and prevent the switch from properly functioning. Another data point is that the car is over 197,000 miles - bought used last summer. It's been running great.

#5 ·
If the key cannot physically be turned replace the lock cylinder, if you are getting the passlock light, the switch. The click click click sounds like a ground issue or lack of voltage. Check grounds underhood by abs controller, and the frame ground next to the battery

#6 ·
Thanks, recaro86! It can be turned, but once I drove it some, it wouldn't turn from the "ACCESSORY" position to the "LOCK" position until after I waited for a few minutes and then heard a single "click" sound. Also, that was the situation before I had a problem starting my car, as you probably gathered.

#7 ·
They were made chinsy and feel like shit from the factory, it isn't super common, but we see enough failures here. The cylinder isn't all too cheap

Edit: it isn't too bad, you will need a locksmith to key this to your key. I'd also order the switch and be done under the dash for another 100k
2006 SATURN ION Parts -

#8 ·
I'm bored, found em even cheaper, under a hundred for the switch and cylinder here. Can't hardly beat that! Post up with what you end up doing, maybe we can have a answer officially from a poster on all of these questions
2006 SATURN ION Parts - GMParts4U.com

#9 ·
If it was me doing the job on your car, I would replace the lock cylinder and ignition switch to be sure there isn't a problem there. The ignition switch is easy to replace while you're working in the area and only about $30

I would also clean the engine ground like recaro86 mentioned.

The last thing, based on your mileage, is that the starters seem to wear out eventually on these cars, so I would check that too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.