Where did the computer C drive get its name? - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Where did the computer C drive get its name?

There is a rather simplified explanation I will give you, although it is actually rather complex. OK, let's begin. If you drop a cat at an elevation of between about 5 to 1,000 feet (you don't want to kill the cat, right? RIGHT!?!?!) AGL, what will happen, no matter what? The cat will land on its feet. DUH!? Anyway, what happens if you spread peanut butter on one side of a piece of bread and drop it? It lands peanut butter side down. DUH AGAIN!!! These two occurrences are not just caused by gravity, they are actually laws of physics. Newtons 4th and 5th laws to be exact. So if you combine these two laws, by spreading peanut butter on the cat's back, what will happen? I will give you a minute to think about it, because it's fairly complicated. When you believe you have a correct hypothesis, or you just get bored and your brain hurts, continue on. Ok, so what happens is, the cat will float in a state of equillibrium, due to the two laws of physics contradicting eachother. One says the cat's feet land, the other says the peanut butter will land. If these two dominant natural forces do not reach a compromise, levatation occurs. This sometimes also causes rips (NOT rifts) in the space time continium, and is not a laughing matter, although it is VERY funny to see the cat floating. Not only does the cat float, the repelling forces of the two laws cause it to spin. Alien UFO's use these levitating cats to levitate. The spinning motion of the cats must be converted into another energy, so UFO's spin, using the power of the spinning cats. When cats dissapear, its not because they die, but that they're abducted. Humans are not abducted by aliens. Cats are. This brings me to my point. these "cat engines" are reffered to as Cat Drives. This was abbreviated to C Drive. Since Cat Drives spin, and Computer C drives spin, Computer C drives were named after Cat Drives.

(stole this from another forum, I didn't actually write it. Shhh don't tell anybody)

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:08 PM

Well the butter side of the toast only lands butter side down from a large range of heights (average height of tables vary in something like 1ft). Myth Busters showed that dropping it from a roof of a building when positioned vertically using a rig as to have no human contact, it really didn't have a tendancy as to which way it lands.

1 of 782 2004 Electric Blue ION Red Line -- 1 of ~720 Canadian Red Lines -- 1 of 292 Canadian '04 Red Lines

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by XeroState; 10-30-2005 at 08:14 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:12 PM

my cats landed on her side/back before :\

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroState
Well the butter side of the toast only lands butter side down from a large range of heights (average height of tables vary in something like 1ft). Myth Busters showed that dropping it from a roof of a building up and down, it really didn't have a tendancy as to which way it lands.

I saw that one. They made 4 differnt machines to do it. Crazy what they will do. Thats my #4 show. Overhaulin, Family guy, Simpsons

"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world"

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 PM

Ya I love that show. When I am doing homework or playing games on my lappy, I'll just have the discovery channel on in the background. You'd be surprised how much you learn by just having it on in the background. Like the US Army has a train that can deliever payloads at Mach 9, the Canadian Navy (YES WE HAVE ONE!!!!) has the most advanced destroyer in action now, completely stealth, full automated defences able to take out 95% (or something like that) of incoming missles, able to turn over 40* at full speed, NASA is planning to launch space shuttles using magnetics as over time it will be more cost effective (using less rockets, well it'll use more, just less fuel and they will be reusable) and it gets up to speed extremely quickly (same idea as the mach 9 missle delivery system). Hmmm, wonder what is on now.

1 of 782 2004 Electric Blue ION Red Line -- 1 of ~720 Canadian Red Lines -- 1 of 292 Canadian '04 Red Lines

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:30 PM

Great Q/A

Goofy,

Loved the C Drive explaination. Better than the Monty Pythons witches/duck logic in the Holy Grail. I suspect the more down to earth explaination has to do with original PCs having only floppy drives. The expensive ones had 2 drives, the A and B drive. What was left when those big 10 MB hard drives arrived? C of course!

Driving a 2006 Chile Pepper Red Redline with Comp Package and Stage 2, 110K miles.

Red Clan Grand Master Assassin...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Knight
Goofy,

Loved the C Drive explaination. Better than the Monty Pythons witches/duck logic in the Holy Grail. I suspect the more down to earth explaination has to do with original PCs having only floppy drives. The expensive ones had 2 drives, the A and B drive. What was left when those big 10 MB hard drives arrived? C of course!

big nothing yrethguad has a living 2mb HD

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 PM

Well 10 MB was the smallest I remembered. I figured there were smaller ones at first but.... I still have some 40 MB drives hanging around.

Driving a 2006 Chile Pepper Red Redline with Comp Package and Stage 2, 110K miles.

Red Clan Grand Master Assassin...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeroState
Ya I love that show. When I am doing homework or playing games on my lappy, I'll just have the discovery channel on in the background. You'd be surprised how much you learn by just having it on in the background. Like the US Army has a train that can deliever payloads at Mach 9, the Canadian Navy (YES WE HAVE ONE!!!!) has the most advanced destroyer in action now, completely stealth, full automated defences able to take out 95% (or something like that) of incoming missles, able to turn over 40* at full speed, NASA is planning to launch space shuttles using magnetics as over time it will be more cost effective (using less rockets, well it'll use more, just less fuel and they will be reusable) and it gets up to speed extremely quickly (same idea as the mach 9 missle delivery system). Hmmm, wonder what is on now.
I didn't know there was enough room in the canoe for all that equipment.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 10:34 PM

Hahaha. Its even funnier that the US Navy wants to buy the plans for it so they can make their own and we said no.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in