short shifter - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

short shifter

First off, is there an RL specific short shifter and who makes it? If not, the Sunfire and Cavalier 5 speeds look identical and I'm sure the regular Ion is probably the same too, so do the short shifters for those cars work?

And does anyone have basic instructions for the install (mostly for getting the stock one out). If its like typical new cars I'm guessing the whole interior needs to be gutted to take the boot off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

We already have a short throw shifter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeain
We already have a short throw shifter.
We really don't have a true short throw, we have a shortER throw, but it's still not a good solid short throw like people are used to. I like it fine, but I have one for my Camaro that's not installed yet, B&M, and it move like an inch, if even, for each gear. Feels like you're not moving your hand at all.

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetSlowCar1
First off, is there an RL specific short shifter and who makes it? If not, the Sunfire and Cavalier 5 speeds look identical and I'm sure the regular Ion is probably the same too, so do the short shifters for those cars work?

And does anyone have basic instructions for the install (mostly for getting the stock one out). If its like typical new cars I'm guessing the whole interior needs to be gutted to take the boot off.
Perhaps you could email a few of the tranny/shifter companies, or possibly the guy at Gravana tuning, he's pretty good on these questions. I'm not sure who exactly to ask, someone here said they ordered one for a Getrag and installed it, but that confused me since we don't have one.

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Our shifter is shorter than most cars. Only cars who beat us in my experience (mostly Sitting in cars at autoshows) is the C6 Corvette, S2000, and Mazdaspeed Miata.

Notably bad throws are the SRT-4(Long) and Scion TC.(Somewhat Choppy)

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:52 AM

The reg ion/cavi/sunfire/cobalt (not SS) are all diferent. As far as I know there is not a specific short(er) [there you go Aeain]. I am sure eventually one will be out, but aftermaket . . . well just plain sucks right now (except the K&N )
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeain
Our shifter is shorter than most cars. Only cars who beat us in my experience (mostly Sitting in cars at autoshows) is the C6 Corvette, S2000, and Mazdaspeed Miata.

Notably bad throws are the SRT-4(Long) and Scion TC.(Somewhat Choppy)
The C5-C6 Vettes have beautiful short shifters, couldnt buy a better one to me...

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:19 PM

This is from the www.gmdelta.com forums. The guy who posted it owns carcustoms.net - his name is karo, and he's been around in the j-body (cav/sunfire) world for quite some time. Really well known and reputable.

"As for the Cobalt and the Ion Redline. B&M is making the shifter as we speak. I have about 50 of them on order. They have a few prototypes out and the real deal should be out with in 8-12 weeks. " - Posted March 16.

So, looks like we should have a B&M short throw in the next few months. I'm sure you can always check www.carcustoms.net to see if it is up there yet or not, or just e-mail karo (i think his addy is on the car customs page somewhere, if not, i can get it).

Hopefully that should make some people happy, i know i'll be getting it as soon as it comes out!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Superd00d

Thumbs up Presale!

They're taking preorders already at Gravana, just found this!

http://www.gravanatuning.com/applica...FREE_SHIPPING_

Anyone interested in a group buy after the K&N one? I might be! I like our stock one, but if the price was right!

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM

Location: Wichita, KS (Most IRL's per capita with fewest forum members)
Hmmm... I WOULD like a true short-throw but I'm betting installation is a bitch plus I'm not sure I'll like grabbing a 500-degree piece of aluminum on those hot summer days. We need to find out how hard it is to install, if there's a leather nob we could opt for or replace with, & if it's it's possible & practical to modify the stock shifter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in