K&N CAI help Thread! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

K&N CAI help Thread!

Hey guys just got my CAI on last night, took me 2hrs 40 min from start to finish.

I wanted to start a thread to answer questions about the instalation for those whom havent installed theirs yet.

First off why did any of you guys remove the lower airbox? i completed the install with out moving it at all. According to K&N instructions you wer supposed to mount to the top of the lower air box anyhow.

If anyne has questions i am willing to provide what i did during the install, and i think there are at least ten other people on the forums that would be willing to help out if some one is stuck.

BTW thanks VITA for spending the time getting the group buy together, it was worth the wait i love the intake.

blue boyee!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 06:46 AM

Thanks for offering the help, not many people do that.

First off, did you have to remove the bumper? I don't have the intake (or instructions) in my hands yet, but it looks to me we should be able to get it in by just removing the headlight and horn and squeezing under the car for the lower section. Even it wouldn't be as easy, I'd really like to avoid taking it off if at all possible.

Second, why not take off the air box? More room is a good thing right?

Third, any metric sockets or torx needed that I might not already have? I've been able to do most stuff on my SC with just 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, T10, T15, and T20. Am I gona need anything else?

Team work, because none of us is as dumb as all of us.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:00 AM

one odd one you'll need is a 5.5mm socket, and a 13mm deep i believe if you don't have deep sockets...

you don't need to take off the bumper. actually, if you have any questions about the install (i.e., the procedure) the K&N website has them available for public inspection.

make sure you listen when they say to adjust everything at the end. you're most important task is to make sure the two pipes are connected properly at the "bottom"

if not they could become loose easily...

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, U.S. Navy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:03 AM

Tough

It would just be a lot harder not to just removed the inner fender wall. BTW Without the airbox in it looks very clean. And without that brace bolted on its still very solid. My friend has the K&N and he didn't remove his air box. My engine compartment looks much much cleaner.

Go Fast...Don't Suck.
Inspired to Drive.

Typhoon Cold Air Intake
Borla Turbo muffler w/ side-exit exhaust
RIU Stage I

238 whp 226 lb/t
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

true it may look better (more open space) BUT............ i didnt have to destroy my lower air box and i can go back to stock setup if i want to. Now if i already did an airbox chop (barry mod) before i had the intake i would have a reason to leave it out, but one of the major fastening points on the intake is the lower airbox, my intake doesnt move because it is fastened down. Without that mount it would be putting more stress on the upper hose clamps.

BTW a 5.5mm (what K&N says you need) is really just a 7/32" socket.

blue boyee!

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

i'll take pics of how it looks with the lower airbox still in the car and my K&N CAI running through it tonight after work.

blue boyee!

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishland
but one of the major fastening points on the intake is the lower airbox, my intake doesnt move because it is fastened down. Without that mount it would be putting more stress on the upper hose clamps.
Regarding the "doesn't move" in your comment above. That actually kind of concerns me. Other than for the "rubber/stud" mount on the washer tank, there is virtually no give in this setup. The engine will roll due to torque, but the CAI really can't give much. Possible problem?? Don't know. Just my thoughts, when you consider the factory setup has plenty of give with the rubber expansion joints.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendog
Regarding the "doesn't move" in your comment above. That actually kind of concerns me. Other than for the "rubber/stud" mount on the washer tank, there is virtually no give in this setup. The engine will roll due to torque, but the CAI really can't give much. Possible problem?? Don't know. Just my thoughts, when you consider the factory setup has plenty of give with the rubber expansion joints.

exactly, i think it'll put more stress onto the upper hose clamps with it attached to the airbox because it has less play, but without the airbox, there's more stress to the lower connection. that's why i stress to make sure that's good, then adjust from there

"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."

Rear Admiral J. Stark, U.S. Navy

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendog
You do have rubber expansion joints, to some degree, with the K&N. It can still move a bit. I was able to bend and stretch the rubber connectors around alot more than I thought I would, when checking everything for fit. Besides, what's the travel on the engine? Someone posted it asking Goofy about his mounts, since the limit the movement even more. Once, I get my shit together and get that ordered from him, I won't even think about it anymore...

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ner
You do have rubber expansion joints, to some degree, with the K&N. It can still move a bit. I was able to bend and stretch the rubber connectors around alot more than I thought I would, when checking everything for fit. Besides, what's the travel on the engine? Someone posted it asking Goofy about his mounts, since the limit the movement even more. Once, I get my shit together and get that ordered from him, I won't even think about it anymore...
Yes, you do get a little with the rubber joint. Depends whether you butted the pipe up tight to each other. On to the Goofy mount, I have the same concern with it. When you now limit the engine roll, where is the torque going to manifest itself? So, I ordered one of his dampeners, but I still am concerned about using it. I'd rather have some wheel hop than perhaps breaking a motor mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in