SMS Throttle Body - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Location: Wichita, KS (Most IRL's per capita with fewest forum members)
Question SMS Throttle Body

Has anyone tried the big-bore throttle body from SMS or any idea about how many ponies this might provide a SC application? I know they're popular & benificial on NA cars but would the gain even be as good on a SC engine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 07:29 AM
Superd00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion
Has anyone tried the big-bore throttle body from SMS or any idea about how many ponies this might provide a SC application? I know they're popular & benificial on NA cars but would the gain even be as good on a SC engine?
Our throttle body is the blower inlet...

'05 Stage 2 Redline -One of the few Red REDlines

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 AM

i spoke to wes at sms, and he said the install was pretty easy, and it would net about 3 horses.

he said the main difference would be better and quicker throttle response, which is the main difference in any NA application as well.

2004 Ion Redline "The Man In Black"
GM Stage 2, Aem Short Ram.....i love my car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:04 PM

That's a chunk of money to drop for three horsepower....
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:39 PM

Yea, 3 horsepower now, but I'm sure it will also increase the efficiency and effectiveness of other mods down the road. And with Psi-Fi's kit, I'm sure it will help out a little more.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 09:28 PM

exactly, the more u get done the more that throttle body will make a difference.

kinda like a header....say we get a header and it adds 10 horsepower, if u do the exhaust as well, the header will then add 15 horsepower, in addition to the power u get from the exhaust. things work together. those are random numbers, nothing certain at all.....just to show a point.

and like i said before, its not for power, its more for throttle response, somethin like torque, but not torque.

2004 Ion Redline "The Man In Black"
GM Stage 2, Aem Short Ram.....i love my car

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Superd00d

Ummm... I don't think it's gonna ever be more than three horsepower. I'm not sure how a new throttle body will give us anything, personally. I would also assume anyone that is considering it would already have header, exhast, and an intake installe before going this route.

Sp00n's HP Tuned GM Stage 2, K&N CAI, SFPH 2.8" Pulley, GMPP Exhaust Manifold, B&M Shifter, GMPP Clutch, Eibach Drop, Stillen Rotors, ZZP Stage1 Axles, URC-Subframe, TqForward Strut Bars.

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 10:00 AM

A larger throttle body may not always be good. I would think for our cars that you would want to keep the stock unit. If you open the throttle body you can potentially harm yourself by slowing down the air speed going into the SC.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Superd00d

I will say that IF anything, you should treat the intake-blower path as a high-revving engine. So bigger is usually better. The blower is running around 14,000 rpms. Even if it's only 10,000, it gonna follow the large cross-section, high revving philosophy. Which is why we have a 3"+ intake pipe stock. What's the size of the throttle body on there now? Is the SMS one actually designed for the LSJ? It seems alot of their stuff is designed for the other Ecotecs, and if it fits ours, they sell it as an LSJ upgrade...

260whp 225wtq
1/4 - 14.0 @ 103.7

Red Red Line Club #001
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 01:15 PM

I would worry about idle and driveability. With the computer controlled throttle body the computer sets the idle with the throttle body it's self. Now it's my understanding the computer has a pre set peramiter (in regards to throttle position) that it uses to determine idle, with a larger throttle body there will be a larger volume of air moving past the throttle blade at the computers pre set point, not allowing the computer to accurately set idle. This inturn will most likely throw off the readings of the map sensor just behind the throttle body. The only thing I don't know is if it can make adjustments for this long term.

Now, if our cars have a fit with just a different air filter or intake, what is it going to think when it can't figure out how to get the idle adjusted correctly. This will most likely be a more benificial product down the road when the ECM has been cracked and tuning can be made easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in