struts/shocks - Page 2 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

If I get these installed at a shop do they have to have the alignment immediately?

Say if I get them done and bring them in to another place for the alignmnent in a few days later.

thanks for all the help and information

would not have gotten this far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Perhaps I am wrong about the struts and shocks

I have 63k on my IRL now

The main concern I have is the noise that they make in the cold weather

What other parts of the suspension (or non suspension) would rattle or make some squeaks over undulations in the road.

What if I do get the FE5 struts/shocks and sway bar links and the noise is still there in the winter?

I remember from my old ion that the car made a clunk like noise and a deep tone repetitive - like a drum over the bumps

On the IRL this does not happen at all.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

I think most of the noise from our suspension comes from the bad endlinks. Look at those first and then see where you are at.

The IRL suspension is pretty simple.

~Endlinks
~Sway bar bushings
~Lower control arms (bushing and ball joint)
~Struts

Then there's also some sound from the steering column, but it's obvious that it's coming from there.

The endlinks and sway bar bushings are the easiest, cheapest, and quickest replacements first. You can test your endlinks by just moving them with your hand and seeing if there is any movement. The sway bar bushings you can just move the sway bar with your hand and see if there is any movement within the bushings.

I just recently replaced all those above items and the front suspension is as quiet as when it was new.

At 63k, your front struts and springs are probably okay.

Stage 2, 2.9" pulley... that's about it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

265k miles and counting!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:43 PM

They always say to get an alignment every time you replace any of the suspension/steering components.

From my experience, I've not done alignments every time. In fact, I've probably gotten only 1 or 2 alignments from a shop the entire time I've had this car. I've not had any weird front tire wear, but it may have affects on suspension component longevity.

To me, it's not an absolute must, but if you want peace of mind, it's probably best.

Stage 2, 2.9" pulley... that's about it

265k miles and counting!!!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqh2552 View Post
I think most of the noise from our suspension comes from the bad endlinks. Look at those first and then see where you are at.

The IRL suspension is pretty simple.

~Endlinks
~Sway bar bushings
~Lower control arms (bushing and ball joint)
~Struts

Then there's also some sound from the steering column, but it's obvious that it's coming from there.

The endlinks and sway bar bushings are the easiest, cheapest, and quickest replacements first. You can test your endlinks by just moving them with your hand and seeing if there is any movement. The sway bar bushings you can just move the sway bar with your hand and see if there is any movement within the bushings.

I just recently replaced all those above items and the front suspension is as quiet as when it was new.

At 63k, your front struts and springs are probably okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqh2552 View Post
They always say to get an alignment every time you replace any of the suspension/steering components.

From my experience, I've not done alignments every time. In fact, I've probably gotten only 1 or 2 alignments from a shop the entire time I've had this car. I've not had any weird front tire wear, but it may have affects on suspension component longevity.

To me, it's not an absolute must, but if you want peace of mind, it's probably best.

Thanks I really appreciate the info

I just got my mobile 1 change last week at chevy and they have a list of replacement items

I am really just happy to get new oil to clean the sludge out (and new filter)

My oil indicator went off this time at 3500 miles which is the lowest I have seen in 5 years .

But the Saturn ion Owner manual says it does not go by the miles ???

Heat and revolutions are more important they say
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:52 PM

So question.

I bought my 04 Redline, he lowered it with Eibach Pro-Line series springs (I believe, they are black not red) but left the stock FE-3 shocks and struts in, The springs are hard as shit. I see a lot of conflicting info on part numbers and different years of vehicles. Basically I want a full FE5 suspension set-up, I have the stock springs but they are FE3 correct? What the hell am I actually ordering because it's definitely for the Cobalts or Chevy HHR's. Different model years are listed as different part numbers. Can someone simplify this for me.

I upgraded to FE5 on my base Ion QC many moons ago, but I was running Progress brand springs, I know I had to swap over the top hats for the struts. What swaps over here? Plus I read some things about having to add a spacer from Powell to the strut monuts?

Help
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:43 PM

Garage
FE5's are currently discontinued, so you need to get them while you can. Check with Tom at Oempartsdepot.com for availability/part numbers.

YYZ's are actually a Cobalt spring, so you need a spacer kit from Powell to convert. Check with Tom or with ZZP.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

, Gone but not forgotten.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Redline View Post
FE5's are currently discontinued, so you need to get them while you can. Check with Tom at Oempartsdepot.com for availability/part numbers.

YYZ's are actually a Cobalt spring, so you need a spacer kit from Powell to convert. Check with Tom or with ZZP.

O.K, thanks, that's what I've been reading, he has them available, (at least it says they are in stock) but I'll give him a call.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Shocks and struts and other stuff.

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum but had Saturns for a while now. Just got my 04 Silver Redline in Sept with 133k. I am just adding what I added to my car and I'm sure you'll want to drop 1600 for KW Variant 2 V2 Coilovers on Ebay. The shocks were trashed when I bought the car and I wanted the ability to change the height from summer to winter here. The shocks are amazing as they should be.
Mind you I'm putting a bunch into my car. I have the HTV1320 LSJ and still need to get the dual pass endplate and Heat exchanger, Injector dynamics ID725. Fuel Boost reference from ZZP. I got most of my parts in sept before ZZP changed their website and removed a lot of the redline information. Not cool. My biggest issue is wrapping my head around Hptuners as it's very intimidating to me. Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to say the Variant 2 are a amazing set of shocks/coil over. Handle the rough roads in this city like a breeze. I've been browsing the wealth of information here and I'm sure will need to ask questions too.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I think I am not touchin the suspension until next winter

Last edited by 1Redline; 06-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in