Saturn ION RedLine Forums

Saturn ION RedLine Forums (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/)
-   Performance Modifications (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/)
-   -   struts/shocks (https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/performance-modifications/89026-struts-shocks.html)

1Redline 04-02-2019 03:47 PM

struts/shocks

Does ZZP have struts and shocks for IRL?

I see that they have coblat stuff

1Redline 04-02-2019 06:27 PM

any advice on what parts to get for installation

1Redline 04-02-2019 06:31 PM

15231865 - is this the correct part number for front struts?

19295558 -shock

lqh2552 04-03-2019 10:51 PM

I've always bought the FE5 struts and shocks. (Which is an upgrade to the IRL's FE3 grade.)

Rears: ACDelco 560-582. You'll need two as they are the same for both sides.
Front left: ACDelco 506-683. You'll need to re-use the top nut from the old struts, as well as the mounts and springs.
Front right: ACDelco 506-684.

About $275 if you buy all of them from Amazon.

Although the rear shocks you listed are quite a bit cheaper than the FE5s.

1Redline 04-06-2019 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqh2552 (Post 1312394)
I've always bought the FE5 struts and shocks. (Which is an upgrade to the IRL's FE3 grade.)

Front left: ACDelco 506-683. You'll need to re-use the top nut from the old struts, as well as the mounts and springs.

Thanks , appreciate it

I can resuse the mounts and nuts - that explains alot thanks...

The springs stay good for years , I guess

I will look into the FE5 - Will these be stiffer than the FE3?

How do they differ ?

ChevTech 04-08-2019 12:34 AM

The fe5 is a better ride than the fe3 but they are cobalt parts. The rear shocks bolt right up but the fronts need a conversion kit and will also require cobalt springs (not the same a ion). CED is the best place to get them. If you get the FE5/YYZ kit you get the fronts assembledand the rear shocks and springs. There are lots of posts with all the details. The combo is like night and day better. And still a great setup for daily driving.

lqh2552 04-08-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevTech (Post 1312434)
The fe5 is a better ride than the fe3 but they are cobalt parts. The rear shocks bolt right up but the fronts need a conversion kit and will also require cobalt springs (not the same a ion). CED is the best place to get them. If you get the FE5/YYZ kit you get the fronts assembledand the rear shocks and springs. There are lots of posts with all the details. The combo is like night and day better. And still a great setup for daily driving.

My memory might be fuzzy as it's been several years, but I'm pretty sure you only need the conversion kit if you are using the Cobalt springs. If you reuse the IRL springs and mounts, then you need nothing but the bare strut. You'll also have to reuse the IRL strut nut as the Cobalt FE5 strut nuts won't work. I actually bought the FE5 kit from CED several years ago and I remember the fronts struts were a simple swap-over at a shop.

lqh2552 04-08-2019 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Redline (Post 1312420)
Thanks , appreciate it

I can resuse the mounts and nuts - that explains alot thanks...

The springs stay good for years , I guess

I will look into the FE5 - Will these be stiffer than the FE3?

How do they differ ?

When I switched over to FE5s struts/shocks several years ago, I don't think I noticed a huge difference. Keeping in mind I kept the front FE3 springs, but swapped over to FE5 rear springs. At this point, though, the FE3 IRL struts are hard to find, whereas the FE5s are pretty plentiful so I would say there's little point to stay with the IRL original struts.

Also, as far as the OE spring life goes, my original fronts actually broke recently (both sides) after ~260k and multiple Michigan winters.

1Redline 04-08-2019 10:34 PM

thanks .... I have suggested these at chevy and theu are hesitating

Probably becuase they are for the newer cars that thrived .... cobalts amd hrs

I have to make them know these will work .. the FE5s are also cheaper than the FE3 fronts

1Redline 04-08-2019 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lqh2552 (Post 1312394)

Can you confirm these are right numbers?

I checked but chevy is saying a different car ?

On cobalts. perhaps I should just get the links done????