Possible head gasket issue - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Possible head gasket issue

Ok this makes no sense bought this 05 redline drove it home no issues other than a gas leak and a hole in the exhaust. Put up on jack stands on one side while trying to fix gas leak. Put back down flat found coolant to be a little low filled it up. Started car damn leak not fixed. Lifted car again fixed leak. Started car this time now it is puffing whiteish smoke all over and runs like crap can it blow a head gasket that fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Will post pics if I can get some dose not like to start anymore
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Ok update did compression check all 4 cylinders are at 195 and above now I am stumped.
Could leaks in the fuel lines be causing issues??

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Garage
Low fuel pressure from a leak could make the car run bad But likely won’t smoke. Head gasket could let go at anytime. And you could still have compression with a blown head gasket. You could do a block test if you can get it to run long enough that will tell you if there is exhaust gases in the cooling system, or pull the spark plugs and pressure test the cooling system see if coolant goes into the combustion chambers.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
Second thought if the fuel leak was causing low fuel pressure and the pcm adjusted the fuel trim to compensate and now leak(and low pressure) is fixed then the fuel trim may be so rich the car won’t run or runs poorly. Will need a scan tool to check/reset fuel trim
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will try some of those suggestions maybe a leak down also
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 08:16 AM

A compression test is not going to show a HG failure all the time. The proper test to determine if there is a HG leak is a cylinder leakdown test, and listen in the intake, exhaust, oil fill cap, and coolant reservoir for noise.

The only other suspect place I could think would leak coolant into the engine is maybe the intake manifold. Check the laminova cores
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in