Crank no start - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Crank no start

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I've searched and had many questions answered, but not this. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion QUad 2.2L (not a redline, I know, but similar). Two years ago it started running rough, dying, etc. I didn't have the money to fix it, had to save up for a year. Once I got the money, I replaced the battery, ignition coil and ignition control module. It was running like new...power, just everything! Then it wouldn't start....we tried it off and on for days, then suddenly it started. Took it to the mechanic who said it had a short in the theft control system and that it wasn't making the right code/connection. They advised to dry it out (the sunroof leaks) and have the short found and fixed, but told us that there was a work around...either start it 50 times so it sees there is a problem with the theft system, or unpplug the battery for 15-25 minutes, then hook it up and start it. That worked for a few days. Then we went to the store an parked, but when we came out, it wouldn't start. It cranks fine, but won't catch. We've tried every trick we cna findshort of the "white wire" and nothing . It just sits there, I've tried it a dozen times and nothing....

It was running great after replacing the coil and ignition switch, and I just don't know if it's the short, a fuse, a sensor or a fuel pump; and I can't afford another $100 to go see what codes it's popping. I've taken it to two different mechanics, the first told me about the ignition module and coil....nothing about the theft short at all. The second once told me about the theft short, and suggestions on how to dry it out to find the short. Then I had a "mobile mechanic" come look at it and he told me it was the battery because the "battery light was on". Yea, I think I got conned out of $35.

Anyway...any help/suggestions would be very helpful....

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:14 AM

Has the ignition recall been done? That would also cause that.

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
06 Ion Redline
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:35 AM

Im having the same type of issue how do I find out if has been in for the recall?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:37 AM

Call a GM dealership with your vin number. Tell them you know about the ignition recall and want to make sure it has been done

Sent from my LGL157BL using Tapatalk

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
06 Ion Redline
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:36 AM

had the ion sedan until 2014 - 10 years must had changed the igition module 3-4 times

the winter it was about 6 months old and it would not start.

probably does not help but they did not get this right from the beginning
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 05:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marta Towne View Post
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I've searched and had many questions answered, but not this. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion QUad 2.2L (not a redline, I know, but similar). Two years ago it started running rough, dying, etc. I didn't have the money to fix it, had to save up for a year. Once I got the money, I replaced the battery, ignition coil and ignition control module. It was running like new...power, just everything! Then it wouldn't start....we tried it off and on for days, then suddenly it started. Took it to the mechanic who said it had a short in the theft control system and that it wasn't making the right code/connection. They advised to dry it out (the sunroof leaks) and have the short found and fixed, but told us that there was a work around...either start it 50 times so it sees there is a problem with the theft system, or unpplug the battery for 15-25 minutes, then hook it up and start it. That worked for a few days. Then we went to the store an parked, but when we came out, it wouldn't start. It cranks fine, but won't catch. We've tried every trick we cna findshort of the "white wire" and nothing . It just sits there, I've tried it a dozen times and nothing....

It was running great after replacing the coil and ignition switch, and I just don't know if it's the short, a fuse, a sensor or a fuel pump; and I can't afford another $100 to go see what codes it's popping. I've taken it to two different mechanics, the first told me about the ignition module and coil....nothing about the theft short at all. The second once told me about the theft short, and suggestions on how to dry it out to find the short. Then I had a "mobile mechanic" come look at it and he told me it was the battery because the "battery light was on". Yea, I think I got conned out of $35.

Anyway...any help/suggestions would be very helpful....

Thank you
Check air filter

Check your spark plugs

Have you checked if it's getting fuel??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in