04 ION slave cylinder blows out after clutch replacement. - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

TLDR VERSION:

Installed new Luk 04-228 clutch kit, with slave and master cylinder in my wife's 04 Ion 2 quad coupe.

While bleeding, as soon as I feel spring pressure on the pedal, I can hear the self adjusting pressure plate release from the factory position and the slave cylinder blows out pissing the whole brake fluid reservoir on the floor.

I reset the pressure plate back to the factory position, double checked that the clutch disk was in the correct way. I put the old slave cylinder back in and had the same damn problem. I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

FULL STORY:

My wife told me she was having some issues with shifting into gear from a stop.

The next day I took her car for a drive to try to diagnose the problem and it was unlike anything I've seen before and couldn't seem to find anyone with a similar issue.

The car refused to go into gear if you pushed the clutch to the floor. If you let the pedal come off the floor just a little bit it would function like normal. I also noticed that the pressure plate was releasing really high in the pedal throw and didn't seem to be re-engaging fully upon releasing the pedal. When cruising in a higher gear, romping on the gas caused the clutch to slip pretty badly.

My first thought was to start with the simplest solution and bleed the system. I pumped the pedal a few times and held it with a piece of wood wedged against the seat. I cracked the bleeder with a hose attached to see if any bubbles came out of the system. After doing this five or six times no bubbles came out and the pedal still felt the same. I saw no signs of leaks from the master cylinder, or the lines leading to the slave.

So, at this point I decided that the clutch must be worn out. I pulled out the tranny and saw that the clutch disk was pretty thin and just barely starting to touch the rivets. The flywheel was glazed pretty bad but didn't have any major hot spots.

I ordered a Luk 04-228 set that includes a new slave cylinder with throw out bearing and installed it. I also put in a new master cylinder while I had the system drained. I decided to keep the original flywheel and just scuffed it up a little with some sand paper.

Here is where I am having problems. While bleeding the system right when I get to the point where I start to feel spring pressure on the pedal, I can hear the self adjustment mechanism on the pressure plate releasing from the factory position and then the slave cylinder blows out pissing the entire brake fluid reservoir onto the floor of my garage.

Considering the cost of the entire clutch kit is almost what you will pay for just a slave cylinder in a parts store. I decided that maybe the slave was just a cheap plastic POS and didn't hold up the pressure of the spring.

So, I dropped the tranny back down, pulled the pressure plate back off, and made sure the clutch was installed the right way. I reset the pressure plate back to the factory position put the old slave cylinder back in.

The same damn thing happened again while I was bleeding the system. As soon as I started feeling spring pressure on the pedal I can hear the pressure plate release from it's factory position and the slave cylinder blew out.

The only thing I can think of is that the slave is hyper extending and blowing out the seal but I'll be damned if I can figure out why....

Both times the pressure plate self adjuster adjusts to the same spot, right about half way to full adjustment. The crank doesn't have excessive travel either....

Last edited by SCHWARF; 12-25-2019 at 01:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2019, 12:37 AM

Your clutch master cylinder is probably bad. They last about 50k. I had similar issues and that was it

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
06 Ion Redline
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 06:34 PM

I second the clutch master cylinder, they are cheap plastic and dont last as long as they should. Get the adjustable one from zzp ...it is very convenient.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

RESOLUTION

TLDR:

The problem was with the new pressure plate! There is some kind of issue with the self adjusting spring mechanism causing the bellville spring to adjust way too far away from the throw out bearing as soon as it is depressed, allowing the slave to hyper extend.

FULL STORY:

On the new years holiday I decided to tackle the problem. I used the new slave cylinder that came in the Luk kit I purchased. I took it apart cleaned it really well and put it back together. I couldnt find anything wrong with it so the problem had to be with over extending.

I thought maybe the new master cylinder that I installed might be pushing more fluid than the slave could handle. So I reset the new pressure plate adjustment back to the factory position again and reinstalled it. This time while bleeding I screwed the clutch interlock switch, which also doubles as a pedal stop, all the way down to prevent the master from fully actuating. Same damn thing happened again.

So I pulled the transmission back off again, removed the pressure plate and cleaned up all the brake fluid. I opened up the slave and again couldn't see any obvious reason for it to piss all over. This time I decided to reset the original pressure plate and put it back in, and I haven't had a problem since. I have about 150 miles on it so far without any issue.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of issue with the self adjusting spring mechanism causing the bellville spring to adjust way too far away from the throw out bearing as soon as it is depressed, allowing the slave to hyper extend.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2020, 03:01 PM

had about 110k on my clutch when it went - ion sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in