post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mid-West gets pwnd by South West!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN
Major snowstorm slams Midwest
Three die on roads; 2.4 million lack power; hundreds of flights canceled
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:31 a.m. PT Dec 1, 2006
CHICAGO - The first major snowstorm of the season forced a plane off a runway, canceled hundreds of flights and shuttered schools and businesses across the Plains and Midwest on Friday as drivers fought sloppy highways.

At least three deaths were blamed on the storm that was moving northwest through Illinois and Michigan on a path to Canada.

A Fed Ex cargo plane arriving Friday morning at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport slipped off the runway into mud, and crews were working to tow it away. No one was hurt, but the accident left only one runway open, said Wendy Abrams, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Department of Aviation.

Laura and Ron Whittingham said early Friday that their United flight to Las Vegas was leaving on time from O’Hare, one of numerous airports where most flights were canceled.

“I guess we’re just the lucky ones,” Ron Whittingham said. “We are going to Vegas, so that’s a good thing, right? We’re starting off lucky.”

In Missouri, Holly Foster said she was the only employee who had made it in to Gov. Matt Blunt’s office by 8 a.m.

About 2.4 million customers across central and southern Illinois and parts of Missouri were without power early Friday after ice snapped tree limbs and power lines.

In the Chicago area, the National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning until noon, predicting 6 to 12 inches of snow. Winds gusted to over 30 mph as the storm arrived in full by the morning rush hour.

“It looks like it’s going to get messy,” said Tim Halbach, a meteorologist in the Chicago suburb of Romeoville. “There could be times where some areas see 2 inches of snow per hour.”

The wintry system struck Thursday from Texas to Michigan, forcing the closure of hundreds of schools, colleges and universities and state offices. Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius declared a disaster emergency for 27 counties, freeing up resources to help them.

The weather even forced the postponement of the state high school football playoffs in Oklahoma for the first time in 14 years. Snowfall there ranged from 2 inches to nearly a foot, while parts of Illinois prepared for 6 to 12 inches. In southeastern Wisconsin, forecasters warned that winds and rain could bring near-blizzard conditions.

State trooper responding to crash also stranded
An Oklahoma man was killed Thursday when his vehicle skidded on an icy road and hit an oncoming tractor-trailer. Also Thursday, on Interstate 44 near Rolla, Mo., a semitrailer truck slid through a cable barrier and struck several vehicles. A motorist who had been involved in an earlier accident and was standing by his car was struck and killed.

A driver died in Boone County, Mo. on Thursday when his car was struck by a snowplow blade, said Highway Patrol spokesman Lt. John Hotz. Two passengers were taken to a hospital with serious injuries.

The state trooper who responded to the crash then apparently became stranded himself.

“Apparently there were several of our troopers that were stranded out there all night,” Hotz said. “We’re having trouble even getting patrol cars around.”

In Oklahoma, two accidents on Interstate 40 snarled traffic for most of Thursday. A 16-vehicle pileup involving an ambulance and eight semitrailers forced the closure of the highway in central Oklahoma for nearly 13 hours, while a tractor-trailer carrying some radiological material overturned in Oklahoma City.

No hazardous material leaked, said Highway Patrol trooper Kera Philippi, although the highway was shut down for more than six hours.

A 50-mile stretch of I-70 across mid-Missouri, where some of the heaviest snow fell, remained closed early Friday.

At the Nevada Fuel Mart in southwest Missouri, Rose Dozier said most truck drivers heading south stopped early Thursday night. They reported near-zero visibility before the snow began to subside.

“The drivers are all professionals and they’re used to it,” Dozier said. “They said a lot of cars are not.”

Jennifer Stark with the National Weather Service in Topeka, Kan., said the storm seemed especially impressive because it had been preceded by unseasonably mild weather. Temperatures approached, and in some places eclipsed, record highs earlier in the week.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15968456/?GT1=8816
HA HA!

2005 Silver Ion Redline - *SOLD*
FRO member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Rally Red Evo 9 RS...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wingless...FTMFW!
**If you dont understand, I am most likely being sarcastic...**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:40 AM

Remind yourself of all this snowstorm stuff when your sitting in traffic everyday.

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:42 AM

all those poor people without electricity..... i feel for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5, in referance to the coke vs soda vs pop arguement
If you say Pop your a queer. It's that simple.
/\ best rebuttle ever, thats a retort fo dat ass

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:48 AM

damn your really trying to get on people's nerves...

if you dont get it stop trying. im bieing sarcastic
*watch out for ninja's
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZERMAN
way too expensive
me = cheaper
POST WHORE MEMBER #2
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

lol...its all good...This whole thread was for bc3tec...lol...

...that sux for all yous guys out there... I would hate to sit in traffic, on icy frwy's...

I hope you all got some warm blankets, warm food, and warm [email protected] to keep you all happy...
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsilverRL
lol...its all good...This whole thread was for bc3tec...lol...

...that sux for all yous guys out there... I would hate to sit in traffic, on icy frwy's...

I hope you all got some warm blankets, warm food, and warm [email protected] to keep you all happy...
dude if I were back in michigan i wouldnt even drive my REL in the winter.

I drove my 97 Comp Trans AM one winter and it was a nightmare.

2002 black on black Corvette Z06
· LQ9 based 402 Stroker built by Charlie at RPM Motors
. AFR 225 cylinder heads 2.08/1.60 valves W/ Yella Terra 1.7 Roller Rockers
. Rx Dual Valve Oil Catch Can
. Custom ground blower spec cam
· A&A YSi Vortech Supercharger
. Kooks headers
· Textralia Exoskell Tripple disk clutch
· level V transmission and level IV diff DTE trans brace
· Custom Fuel System
· 6 Rib Direct Drive System.
· AEM Methanol Injection System
. A bunch of WHP gobs of WTQ.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:54 AM

You're not getting my point. We sit in traffic on icy highways MAYBE a half dozen times a year. Last time I went to LA, it took three hours to get 12 miles across town on a Tuesday afternoon. You can from Chicago to Minneapolis in 4.5 hours for goodness sake (less if you're not doing the speed limit).

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 11:55 AM

LOL, a large area near my neighborhood was without power around lunch time today. And NONE of the friggin people around here understand the fact that non-working traffic light = FOUR WAY STOP!! No wonder people get into so many accidents during weather like this. Geez!

Oh....and it isn't even snowing here, just high winds. Last year, we got one snow 'storm' of about 7 inches, and people around here lost all capacity to drive. I can't wait to experience 12+ inches! Joy!

- Aaron

2005 ION Redline
Black, Competition Pkg - Welfare intake, Antenna delete, driled/slotted roots and ceramic pads....for now.

2007 Deep Blue Saturn VUE - Totaled in an accident
2004 Electric Blue ION Redline - Destroyed engine, traded in

Best time: 14.48 @ 97.64 MPH (only mods were welfare intake and weight reduction)
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsilver's illegal reposting of AP stuff
© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
HA HA!
got you now you fucker. *on the phone w/ AP*

muaahahaha!
PWNED!

Member #002 - The

The '07 Aura XR
[Done] Intake res delete
[Next] Tint, Eibachs

-
QC
20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift,
, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq

post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shab
You're not getting my point. We sit in traffic on icy highways MAYBE a half dozen times a year. Last time I went to LA, it took three hours to get 12 miles across town on a Tuesday afternoon. You can from Chicago to Minneapolis in 4.5 hours for goodness sake (less if you're not doing the speed limit).
lol...thats why...you need to take sepulveda, or Artesia Bl in the afternoon, or hit the 10 west to H.Huges then hit Century BL to the 405S and you skip most of the LAX traffic, and the Carpool starts there too...(not that its moving any faster...)...out here we learn to use www.sigalert.com ...it REALLY helps with traffic...
There are ways around LA traffic. I dont live in LA, tho...Orange County only has 4 major Traffic locations in the afternoon. All of which I bypass by hittin up Santiago Canyon...which has very little traffic and many hairpin turns...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in