Master Cylinder ? - Saturn ION RedLine Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Question Master Cylinder ?

So i had my regular shop (a local goodyear) install my Stoptech front rotors and hawk pads (front only). While i was watching them i noticed the tech wiping fluid off the resivoir and surrounding area. I noticed the brakes seemed really spongey. I thought i was just supposed to be easy on them at first, so I never really locked them up. My mistake ( i know now there is a propper bedding procedure i was supposed to follow ). So last weekend i had an event where i really got to put the brakes to the test. No good, they were super soft, it totally blew my day. My buddys tested the pedal and agreed. They said i might need to bleed them properly. I brought the RL back to my shop and they tried to bleed them and told me my master cylinder was on its way out. Does this sound right? Could my shop have messed up the cyl? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM

when you install new pads and rotors they are much thicker than the old pads and rotors. You must compress the calipers piston back into its bore. well the fluid in the line has to go somewhere. Back into the master cylinder. Now if someone poured more brake fluid into the master cylinder reservoir to bring the fluid to the correct level the fluid will pour out the top once you compress the calipers piston. Thats not the problem here though. What most likely happened IF they bled the brakes they pushed too far down on the brake pedal inside of the car. This causes the master cylinder's piston to travel further than it normally does. Now, there was probabaly corrosion on the piston and it destroyed the seals inside the master cylinder. If they bled the brakes they are responsible. Especially if the pedal sinks slowly to the floor and no brake fluid is leaking out. The fluid level should drop with no visible leaks whille pressing on the pedal. Sorry for the huge run on paragraph,lol
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp1988 View Post
when you install new pads and rotors they are much thicker than the old pads and rotors. You must compress the calipers piston back into its bore. well the fluid in the line has to go somewhere. Back into the master cylinder. Now if someone poured more brake fluid into the master cylinder reservoir to bring the fluid to the correct level the fluid will pour out the top once you compress the calipers piston. Thats not the problem here though. What most likely happened IF they bled the brakes they pushed too far down on the brake pedal inside of the car. This causes the master cylinder's piston to travel further than it normally does. Now, there was probabaly corrosion on the piston and it destroyed the seals inside the master cylinder. If they bled the brakes they are responsible. Especially if the pedal sinks slowly to the floor and no brake fluid is leaking out. The fluid level should drop with no visible leaks whille pressing on the pedal. Sorry for the huge run on paragraph,lol
he means change the master tbfu and no not their fault

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 PM

ok, if the brake pedal was spongy after they installed his pads and rotors and they bled them by pushing the brake pedal too far down it IS their fault. You are NOT supposed to do that. This is what makes sense to me especially if the brake pedal was firm before they installed the rotors and pads. Installing rotors and pads alone should not leave you with a spongey pedal hate to break it to you.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyp1988 View Post
ok, if the brake pedal was spongy after they installed his pads and rotors and they bled them by pushing the brake pedal too far down it IS their fault. You are NOT supposed to do that. This is what makes sense to me especially if the brake pedal was firm before they installed the rotors and pads. Installing rotors and pads alone should not leave you with a spongey pedal hate to break it to you.
There's no way to prove this happened.

Another way to tell - is the clutch spongy as well? They work off the same master cyl iirc, and I'd think if it was taking a crap it would also be spongy like the brakes.

I'd try bleeding the calipers again and see if that helps. It sounds like air got in the system.

2004 Ion Redline, RIP. Buy my parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please PM me, it's the fastest way to get a hold of me.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM

my guess is that there is still air in the lines...re bleed and test again!..colm.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:54 AM

They just use the same fluid. There is still a clutch master cylinder. Just because the brake pedal is spongey doesnt mean the clutch pedal will be spongey. Also the brake master is higher up than the clutch master. And air bubbles rise so how could air get into the clutch master and past it into the line feeding the slave cylinder?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:55 AM

Try Gravity Bleeding them. It's old school, but simple.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 08:57 AM

Hell yeh it is but i bet his MC is already gone.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

they have been re-bled twice now. Same result. Im covered for the MC so i'll be ok. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't unneeded work. But rest assured i will not have my tire shop do any brake work for me again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in