Cheap summer vs. good all seasons - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Cheap summer vs. good all seasons

So I'm getting ready to buy my summer tires and had a few questions. First, I have a dedicated set of Blizzaks, so these will only be doing summer duty.

I did have a set of Fuzion ZRi's that were on the car when I bought it. They seemed to hold up to the abuse that I gave them "ok", but were done at 12,000 miles. I've read all the reviews and comparisons, but I trust some reviews about as far as I can throw a shoe. I've never got to compare a cheap summer tire like the Fuzions to a great all season such as the Goodyear Eagle F1's. Can someone on here pipe in that has run both and tell me how a cheap summer tire (maz performace) can compare to a high performance all season (ultra high performance)?

I'll be doing mostly town/highway driving, with some spirited backroad thrashing along the way. No autocross or anything like that at this point. I would also like to get around 25k if I could to try and squeeze 2 summers out of them. I'd also like to stay below $125 or so a piece. Any thoughts on how these two tire categories stack up, and maybe some suggestions from people that have had both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM
sold my body 4 turbo parts, but im still slow

If you have a dedicated winter tire, then you want to just go balls out and get a very grippy tire that can handle rain also, my friend picked these up and when i need new tires i'll likely do the same.

Kumho Ecsta MX)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 AM

i run kuhmo ecsta asx's all year,i love em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBOX Live ID: twitch235

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM

^i agree with him, as well as proxie fz4's which i have nothing but good opinions about

Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM

Pretty much all of the Kumho Ecsta series of tires is hard to beat for bang for your buck.

Semper Fi!

"Be polite, be professional, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:06 AM
OG Factory Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
i run kuhmo ecsta asx's all year,i love em.
me too, such a better ride over stock lops...I run 225/45/17 on stock wheels
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfica7 View Post
me too, such a better ride over stock lops...I run 225/45/17 on stock wheels
im stil just running 215's,i love them,im on my second set,they do damn good in the snow but still grip real good when its dry out imo

XBOX Live ID: twitch235
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 06:47 PM

thumbs down on toyo proxes fz4 for wet performance from me.

i was, however, able to get about 30k out of them with one track day at the end before i got sick of the poor wet weather performance.

that's with mostly highway with the few times a week blast down back roads in the summer.

fz4's were barely acceptable in snow if you plan on trying that too.

i have heard good things about nitto neo-gens for a high performance all-season.

but ultimately i think at this point i'd be dissatisfied with cornering performance from all season tires, so if you're used to the ZRi's, i'd look for a mid-priced summer tire with a higher treadwear rating (280-300)

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Bought my tires last night. They'll probably only last 1 summer, but I think it might be worth it. Tirerack had Bridgestone Potenza Re-01Rs on sale for $104. 225/45 sizing. After reading reviews it seems they are getting pretty close in performance to the DZ101 Star Specs, so I thought I would bite the bullet and get something balls out that won't last as long. Listed at $188 usually, so I thought it was a pretty decent deal... Only a couple weeks till they should go on. I'll post up my .02 cents when I get em on and hit the backroads...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeGLover View Post
Bought my tires last night. They'll probably only last 1 summer, but I think it might be worth it. Tirerack had Bridgestone Potenza Re-01Rs on sale for $104. 225/45 sizing. After reading reviews it seems they are getting pretty close in performance to the DZ101 Star Specs, so I thought I would bite the bullet and get something balls out that won't last as long. Listed at $188 usually, so I thought it was a pretty decent deal... Only a couple weeks till they should go on. I'll post up my .02 cents when I get em on and hit the backroads...
nice man, and yes let us know absolutely!

Forum favorites: When darkmanX beat me in a roll, the cover page red Redline is right-hand drive, the GMPONE crew and all the other members I met, the few twincharged RL's out there, and of course my original purchases from Ron9919 which gave me my first mod bug.
My
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in