Need some tires/premature wear - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Need some tires/premature wear

So my RL just eclipsed the 35K mark last week and once again it's time for new tires. There is a problem though and I can't seem to remember if it's been a common one for the RL's or not. My car is absolutely eating the inside edge off of the tires I've had on it. I got just under 19K out of the stock Dunlops before I noticed the belts were exposed on the inside edge. I put on some Kumho Ecsta AST's next and a little over 16K later I'm looking at the same scenario. I've kept the tires rotated every 5K, properly inflated, and aligned but I think this is more of a camber issue. So now I find myself looking for a really durable tire. Performance is not an issue as I've given the car to my fiancee to use as a commuter and around town errand runner so I don't need sticky tread and stiff sidewalls. Just something that can handle this cars appetite a bit better as I don't want to keep putting new tires on this car every year and a half. So far I'm leaning in the direction of the Nitto Neo Gens as they say they are made for lowered cars with excessive negative camber.........perhaps they can bandaid my issue for now. Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Here is a pic of the stock Dunlops that I posted a while back to show exactly what my car is doing.

2005 Red Ion [-]
K&N CAI
GMPP Stage 2
Smoothflow 2.9 pulley
GMPP Extrude Honed Exhaust Manifold
Cobra H/E in custom cradle
Comp Pack Boost gauge/Ladder Tach-----traded in

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Stock-----sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Are all four of your tires like that?

I noticed the pic you posted if of the rear tire. But is the wear being cause by the rear or is from the front of car?

06 Silver RL |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebristol View Post
Are all four of your tires like that?

I noticed the pic you posted if of the rear tire. But is the wear being cause by the rear or is from the front of car?
Sorry, forgot to mention that the wear seems to be coming mainly from the front end but the rear eats them up too. The front does it considerably faster though. All 4 tires are showing excessive wear to the inside edge.

2005 Red Ion [-]
K&N CAI
GMPP Stage 2
Smoothflow 2.9 pulley

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Stock-----sold

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breech View Post
Sorry, forgot to mention that the wear seems to be coming mainly from the front end but the rear eats them up too. The front does it considerably faster though. All 4 tires are showing excessive wear to the inside edge.
I don't think that is normal wear. Where did you have your alignment done? I would take it back there and have them fix the problem before you get new tires.

Or take it somewhere else and have them fix it. If you buy new tires you are going to have the same problem.

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebristol View Post
I don't think that is normal wear. Where did you have your alignment done? I would take it back there and have them fix the problem before you get new tires.

Or take it somewhere else and have them fix it. If you buy new tires you are going to have the same problem.
I've been doing business with the same alignment and suspension shop for over a decade. All of my vehicles go there and they are regarded as one of the best around my area. They don't just "set the toe and let it go" like some places do. Very reputable.

This is definitely not normal wear. It was one of the first issues I brought up to the dealer when the car was still under warranty. Unfortunately, they chalked it up to aggressive driving.........just like every other issue I've had with this thing. Three different dealerships and I always got the same line from all of them..........which is why GM won't ever get my business again......but that's a whole other can of worms. I do realize that this issue will continue to persist but if I can find a tire of harder compound or that helps to resist this type of wear maybe I can coax a few more miles out of them.

2005 Red Ion [-]
K&N CAI
GMPP Stage 2
Smoothflow 2.9 pulley

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Stock-----sold
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM

oh man that looks like my old tires, ended up being my rear axle assembly. Was like a 1k job, that was covered under my carmax waranty.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Has to be a camber and alignment problem.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline (Totaled 10/1/09)
1996 Infiniti G20(Totaled by a F**kin Plane! 12/22/10)
The New: 2004 Infiniti G35 sedan
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 PM

I went to like 5 places including Saturn and they all said you can't align the back end of our cars.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline485 View Post
Has to be a camber and alignment problem.
I also believe it's a camber problem......I've eliminated alignment.

2005 Red Ion [-]
K&N CAI
GMPP Stage 2
Smoothflow 2.9 pulley

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Stock-----sold
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman6 View Post
oh man that looks like my old tires, ended up being my rear axle assembly. Was like a 1k job, that was covered under my carmax waranty.
Yep, looks just like my problem and 1K is seriously disappointing. Perhaps it's time to seriously start looking to trade in.

2005 Red Ion [-]
K&N CAI
GMPP Stage 2
Smoothflow 2.9 pulley

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4
Stock-----sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in