DO NOT BUY MOTEGI SP-5's!! THEY DO NOT FIT!! - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

DO NOT BUY MOTEGI SP-5's!! THEY DO NOT FIT!!

DO NOT BUY THE MOTEGI SP-5's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DO NOT FIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am SO fucking pissed off right now. Tire Rack guarantees fitment, and the fucking spokes don't clear the fucking calipers. Been staring at them for weeks with the new slicks, got all the way to the autocross location, got them out, got the car up - and they don't fit. What's worse, they hit enough that I'm not even sure that stock-legal spacers and longer studs will fix it, as I can only go 4mm worth of spacer and it looks like that might not be enough.

Even worse, I can't return them. I ordered my BFG R1's from Tire Rack, and talked to them about the wheels - which they guaranteed would fit. They would not, however, match the price I'd found elsewhere for almost $200 less, so I bought them from the other seller - who specifically states that fitment problems are the buyers responsibility.

I am pissed off beyond belief right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5
I try and get with as many dudes as possible when I'm out on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4ckler
I miss the days when people weren't emo and just hung themselves instead of bitching on youtube....
RIP "Sally" - Pacific Blue 2005 Ion Redline Comp Pack

14.8 @ 96 mph, 2.3 second 60' - 100% stock on stock tires, 85 degrees out at 2200 ft altitude...

207 whp, 187 wtq, 100% stock uncorrected numbers on a mustang dyno...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:39 PM

Ooo man bad deal...use them as drag wheels and get bigger spacers?

Current Car:

2014 Subaru WRX Limited
Cobb Stg 1+
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Looks like 4mm spacers will JUST clear - like, barely a millimeter - but that leaves me buying extended studs and installing them, by which time I could have bought more expensive wheels. Our studs are barely long enough for the stock wheels; 4mm worth of spacers gave me barely 2 turns to finger tight, less than 3 to 85 lbs on the stick. 5 turns is barely safe, prefer 7.

Grr...

Quote:
Quote:
I miss the days when people weren't emo and just hung themselves instead of bitching on youtube....

14.8 @ 96 mph, 2.3 second 60' - 100% stock on stock tires, 85 degrees out at 2200 ft altitude...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:03 PM

what diameter wheel are you running? 17"?

or wait, the spokes are hitting the face of the caliper as the wheel spins????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

17's, and yes - the spokes hit the bottom edge of the caliper along it's length.

Nobody makes a 4mm spacer that I can find. 3mm isn't quite enough, and 5 is too much to be legal in Stock class in the SCCA (max is 1/4" - 6.25mm - from stock offset) since I'm already 2mm less than stock at +40.

Anyone know where I can find longer wheel studs or which ones work? Not having much luck. Heard a rumor that the extended studs for a '98-'02 LS1 F-Body will fit? Can anyone verify?

Quote:
Quote:

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 PM

i guess you could buy a 5mm spacer and have it machined down to 4mm...do they make 2mm's that you can double up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:11 AM

wait a sec.. arnt the sp-5's the staggered fit style rim where they give you one option for a rear rim that has a bigger lip by bending in the spokes more meaning they have less room the clear the calipers.. but the front ones have a small lip and the spokes stick out towards the edge of the rim more meaning you have more room for larger calipers since the front have bigger brakes

what i'm trying to says is you got a rear dished rim for the front of your car.. if you didn't specifically ask for a rear one and you only got 2 i would call up tire rack and throw a shit fit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 07:15 AM

yup found it

Motegi Racing Performance Wheels

if you look at ther part number section you can see some of the part numbers end in "R" that means if has a bigger lip with the same offset so it's for the rear of the vehicle
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 AM
OG Factory Freak

nice catch^^^^^^^
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Wow - nice catch. Funny that all my convo's with Tire Rack, the people I bought them from, and other places this has NEVER once come up.

Called the seller, they're actually being way cool about it, will put call tags out for 2 of the wheels and send me 2 fronts.

All's well that ends well... Searching thees forums and CSS, look slike a few owners have been down this road before - and this staggered fit issue was never put forth! So the title of this thread should be changed to "If you buy Motegi SP-5's, make sure you don't end up with 4 rears!!!!!"

LMAO

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BigBrother; 03-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in