Upgraded pads and rotors. Do they make a difference? - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Upgraded pads and rotors. Do they make a difference?

I am thinking of going to powerslot rotors all around, Hawk HPS pads, and Goodridge stainless brakelines for the hell of it. That and the stock dusty pads sucks. Since the stock brakes are not all that bad for oem stuff, does upgrading the brake system on these cars really make a huge difference to be worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 AM

a lot off ppl will say no not if ur not auto x which is true but i have upgraded front rotors and pads and i know everyone who had the set up ur talking about loves them so id say go for it

bLaCK and SiLVeR KnIGhTz Member# 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaJaguar5 View Post
This car will be the coolest Redline ever. After I put about 15 grand in it, or more and if I have to, overnight parts from Detroit.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedlineS2 View Post
I am thinking of going to powerslot rotors all around, Hawk HPS pads, and Goodridge stainless brakelines for the hell of it. That and the stock dusty pads sucks. Since the stock brakes are not all that bad for oem stuff, does upgrading the brake system on these cars really make a huge difference to be worth it?
I bought that setup from Dezod's little sale about 2 weeks back...I don't have the SS brakelines though. I will let you know if I notice a big difference when I put them on next weekend. Will be slightly biased though I just got gripper replacements for my Stock lops (47k miles on them 2004).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedlineS2 View Post
I will tell you this. I just got the exact setup your thinking of minus the lines. I put them on thursday and i've noticed a huge difference in my braking performance. Stop are much more precise with pedal effort. Just make sure you burnish the pads correctly or they will make alot of noise. Most ppl don't do this and end up wondering y there brand new brakes squeak or make other weird noises. Good luck.

bLaCK and SiLVeR kNiGhTz Member#49

06 IRL- traded in
Hello 09 SS/TC- K&N SRI, Megan racing catless DP, Hahn 3" catback, 0ttp charge pipes, Forge BPV, Pedders, rack spacers, rotated mount.

To be installed- ZZP intercooler

To be bought- Tune!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:13 PM

I've had the powerslot/hawk from Dezod for 60K miles, love 'em! I used BG Stop Squeal when installing them. The stock brakes were good, but made lots of dust! And only lasted me 20K.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrred- View Post
I will tell you this. I just got the exact setup your thinking of minus the lines. I put them on thursday and i've noticed a huge difference in my braking performance. Stop are much more precise with pedal effort. Just make sure you burnish the pads correctly or they will make alot of noise. Most ppl don't do this and end up wondering y there brand new brakes squeak or make other weird noises. Good luck.
Nice I may go ahead and do all of this then. The stock brakes are alright to me but I hate having brake dust covered wheels in just a few days. So instead of upgrading the pads I'll just do it all.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Location: Wichita, KS (Most IRL's per capita with fewest forum members)
The Powerslots don't rust, either, so they stay nice & shiney.

'04 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Compact Car
(Rick) Kewley (GMPD) also told us the car was lowered, the shifter throws were shortened, and the pedals were moved closer together, which is why the Red Line's ridiculously tall ride height, its poorly placed pedals, and its long-throw shifter leave us shaking our heads.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Just make sure you burnish the pads correctly or they will make alot of noise.

what is meant by this? I had pads installed and they squeak like hell.

2006 Black Ion Redline/ comp pack/ stg 2

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:16 PM

I was going to chime in and say that my 04 redline bought in January already came with the drilled and slotted rotors, don't know the brands on the rotors or pads since I didn't buy them, but they stop on a dime. I have absolutely no brake dust either, but I do occasionally notice a squeal, so I'm currious as well about the above comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in