Pedder Pedders on a Redline - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Likes "Cheese" and "Head"

Pedder Pedders on a Redline

I see this topic get brought up all the time so I would like to make a sticky of it. Here is all the information that I have found about it. Please feel free to add this this thread with anything else you guys think might be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikidoshadow View Post
Pedders (Cobalt Spring) Everything from CED and Qwik
I bought every piece new. It ran $900
Qwik makes you the spacers

Parts listing Cobalt
A STRUT ASM/FRONT; A STRUT ASM/FRONT (FE5); Z STRUT ASM/FRONT; ZF,ZG,ZH,ZK STRUT ASM/FRONT; ZS,ZT STRUT ASM/FRONT;. Fits: 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LEVEL 4 PERF/SC (SS) 2 DR | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Parts listing ION Front
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...modelYear=2006

Parts listing ION Rear
A SUSPENSION/REAR;. Fits: Saturn Ion | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Illustration Front

#1 (ION or cobalt) Shield 21992520
#2 (cobalt) Insulator 22716383
#3 (ION or cobalt) FE5 is cobalt naturally
#4(ION or cobalt) Bumper ION-22712118 Cobalt-22716381
#5 Pedder/Cobalt Spring
#6 (Cobalt) Insulator 22687776
#7 (Cobalt) Seat 22716379
#8 (ION or cobalt) Bearing ION-22687774 Cobalt-22712116 The new cobalt one stays in place easier, the ION was is cheaper. On each side of the bearing you would put one spacer from Qwik.
#9 (ION) 22687780 22687780
#10 (Cobalt) Nut 22716359

Illustration Rear

The rears are the same install as ION springs. Make sure that the rears look like a beehive or they are upside down.
You might have to lube up the bottom post and #10 to push it into the spring, but the car's weight took care of it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah View Post
When taking apart assembled struts, you have:

Strut
Spring
Hat
(adapter spacer)
Strut Mount

The struts are completely compatible between the Cobalt and Ion

The bottom of both springs are the same, where they attach to the strut.

The top of the cobalt spring taper and are narrower than the Ion spring, requiring a cobalt hat to be used.

The Powell adapter spacer is very small, and allows the cobalt hat to be used with the Ion Strut mount, because the hat and mount need to be able to rotate independent of one another for the car to turn.

The Ion and Cobalt strut mounts are COMPLETELY different. The cobalt uses a standard 3 bolt mount, which allows it to be shorter and really is a better design, but the Ion uses a single bolt mount, making it taller and generally silly in design.

So, to do TC struts, you don't need any adapters or cobalt parts.

To do ANY cobalt spring on an Ion, you need a cobalt hat and Powell's spacer or a similiar fabricated spacer. I will not give out the dimensions of the needed spacer, so please don't PM me for that.

06 Silver RL |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnbracing View Post
broken shit Is par for mcclure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm hungry

if you have high millage on your existing struts I highly suggest buying new strut mounts as well, this goes for any springs you will buy... When I did mine, those tiny bolts that hold it together were rusted threw, and basically snapped with the lightest of preasure...

and just so every one knows here is a pic of the hats you will need... with the spacers...

Mikeyredline, Audio God to the GMP-ONE

Page 1171 it's Eagle Time.

Last edited by mantiskungfu; 03-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
post #3 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Info via Flatgod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatgod View Post
So first start by removing stock front struts.

Disassemble them. You'll need a E8 torx socket to take the spring perch apart then there is a 21mm nut holding it to the strut.

Now take the new TC strut and put the plastic spring seat from your old strut in it.

I got the spring compressors free off charge from my local Parts source, just had to pay a deposit that was reimbursed upon return so that was sweet. Slide the old dust shield on.

There is a spacer in the bottom of the spring perch, in order to keep this in place you need to use the stock locknut that was on the original RL struts as the one for the new TC struts is to long. If you don't you'll end up doing it twice like me LOL.

Now take the spring hat from Cobalt front suspension with magic 0TTP shim in place, place plastic strut bearing on top and then RL spring perch on top of that.

Install the top bolt onto the strut and release the spring compressors being mindful of the positioning of the plastic bearing as you don't want to have it out of place and crush it. Also be sure that the tab (green mark) on the spring hat is facing the inside of the car upon assembly.

SS/TC Struts with Pedders

Then just bolt the RL strut cap back on and torque the E8 bolts to 124 inlbs. Mount the assembly back in place and TA-DAH, Pedders on a Redline. 81 ftlbs for the top strut bolt and 89ftlbs for the strut to steering knuckle.

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:

post #4 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 AM

Eric, where did all these "L's" come from?

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
post #5 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabodah View Post
Eric, where did all these "L's" come from?
I don't know what you are talking about...

Fixed!

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
post #6 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:16 PM

ok, from helping mantiskungfu with his pedders/ss/tc swap, you want/need/should get (from top to bottom) :

new saturn ion redline strut mounts
0ttp spacer (glue it to the bottom of the strut mount to aid assembly)
strut mount bearing (comes with mounts)
0ttp spacer
cobalt tc top spring perch
pedders spring
cobalt tc strut
new end links of your choice

you don't neccessarily NEED the end links or new strut mount, but if the little screws holding the strut mount together snap, you're stuck. if you can't undo the nut on the sway link(common), you're stuck. so, you might as well be prepared.

we also discovered that the spring coils hit each other near the top, causing a clunk in the front. a little bit of rubber hose helped.

you'll also want to lube the rubber spring isolator on the cobalt perch to allow the pedders spring to settle evenly.

that lube will also help with getting the rear springs onto the bump stops.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #7 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Ok I am clear on what I need now. But I could not find the stuff on powell. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Thanks gmredline !

233.73whp/204.75wtq Stock
14.941 @ 94.7mph
post #8 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM

you'll probably have to call them.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #9 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

You could try PM'm him on this forum.

https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...redline11.html

I am not sure how much he comes around anymore. But his 1 year ban was lifted a couple of months ago.

06 Silver RL |
|
|
|

Quote:
post #10 of 101 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMRedline View Post
You could try PM'm him on this forum.

https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...redline11.html

I am not sure how much he comes around anymore. But his 1 year ban was lifted a couple of months ago.
John is very active on gmsportscompact.com

Ok, so, like, yeah, umm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in