Steering U-Joint and shaft separation... - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Steering U-Joint and shaft separation...

I'm trying to remove my transmission to swap the clutch following GM Performance Division's guide...

I'm running into a problem with the steering U-Joint and shaft, it says to pry them apart and I can't figure out how, or it's stuck.

Any tips to make this part easier?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM

put the bolt back in the steering shaft. its safer that way. ( if you disconnect it and spin the steering wheel you will fubar the clock spring in the airbag mechanism.) instead do this:
remove the rear engine mount complete, and then disconnect the 2 x 18 mm head rack bolts and the steering rack tie rods from the knuckle and drop the cradle leaving the steering rack hanging on the shaft it wont hurt it and its way faster to do the job this way

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM

but to do it that way remove bolt and put a large pry bar or chisel and hammer the slot open a bit/ I hate doing that anymore which is why I suggest you do it differently

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I'll take a look at it when I get back to this and hopefully that'll work better.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:21 PM

^^ that.

You can thread the seat belt through the steering wheel and latch it so it doesn't spin. put match marks on the steering intermediate shaft and the rack stem, but qwik's first suggestion is the best.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwikredline11 View Post
but to do it that way remove bolt and put a large pry bar or chisel and hammer the slot open a bit/ I hate doing that anymore which is why I suggest you do it differently
perfect!
worked great for me.

233.73whp/204.75wtq Stock
14.941 @ 94.7mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in