Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

New struts/shocks & ?

8K views 38 replies 6 participants last post by  REDLINE1313 
#1 ·
My car has about 80-90k on this set of OEM replacement struts/shocks now and I'm going to replace them.

I've read a bunch on the FE5 kits and that seems the way to go.

HOWEVER, I do want a good amount of performance out of this thing as far as handling goes. Would some kind of Konis be a better option? I do not want to go coilovers.

This car has Eibach lowering springs as it sits on Sparco wheels with fresh Continental DW tires.

Also, while I'm doing struts/shocks, what else can I add that will improve the handling on this without spending a fortune? Do strut braces help much? What else can I do? Thanks in advance :cool:

#9 ·
Rear bar is more worth it over the strut bar specially for autoX cause it keeps the rear more stable, something the ions lack. Personally I get nothing from the strut brace but it looks good and in theory it should do something. LSD and rotated mounts are great upgrade and Powell cabs are good too when ya have the cash.

#16 ·
Could you guys post links to both the strut and rear bars you're talking about/have? While upgrading my suspension I might as well looking into them at least for consideration.

Further, this YYZ plug and play kit from CED - is it just an upgrade to FE5 or are those also lowering springs? Description doesn't say. Thanks again for all the help!

:cowsmile:

#24 ·
Get yhe zzp LCA'S If you factor in the powell cabs and spherical bushings is actually cheaper and the zzp arms have more availability for repalcmet parts and bushings, however they are backorderd right now at zzp.
I was thinking about doing that actually. Doesn't matter they're on backorder as I won't be needing them for another 2 months or so. Thanks!

#32 ·
Mine is finshed, I did have a brake caliper brack bolt sheer off under some hard braking so TITAN is down for a day, But the ride was leaps and bounds better, I found my self reaching the limits of my NT05 tires (very cold summer day @ 60f) which I can honestly say was the first time I have ever reached that point in the ownership of the car., I also no longer rub from lock to lock :)

#33 ·
Decided what I'm going to order for this thing. Most likely in the next 3-4 weeks, possibly earlier.

-YYZ package from CED (to replace my old, tired Tein springs(no they're not eibachs like I said))
-Powell XXX rear sway bar
-ZZP control arms
-Subframe Connectors

AND - Some ZZP Stage 1 axles to hopefully eliminate this vibration under acceleration. Then, other than some slicks, I should be ready to do some road carving :cool:

#34 ·
The axels are napa brand re-labeled. Youre better off with the GM performance upgrade.
Also get rotated tranny mounts. Those will help better than the axels.

#37 · (Edited)
I put all of ZZP's solid mount in already, as well as the rotated front/rear tranny mount. I did all of that when I replaced the slave cylinder/TOB and master cylinder a few weeks ago.

I'm almost positive it's my axles that are making the vibration. I will order some next week and put them in.

Also spoke to John Powell via email and he suggested I use the alloy FE5 control arms with his bushings, so that is what I will be doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.