RAGEOUS - General update and lowering spring question - Page 3 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry to be asking so many questions but again, I am not a pro and if I do this I only want to do it once and do it right.

I've been reading through this old thread about YYZ springs and it is basically saying ANY Cobalt FE5 spring will need a conversion kit to work on a Redline (and hence, my ION) https://www.redlineforums.com/forums/...edline-10.html

From what all of you have been saying so far is that as long as I use the upper mounting hardware from my stock onto the new struts I should be alright. This seems contradictory. Am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 PM

No, for that you need the shims also, I believe, since the springs are for Cobalts.

I haven't really been following the latest Powell parts, though, so a simple phone call to CED should get you the right stuff. They know what's up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Man....as much as I want to go as far as FE5s like the rest of you, I'm thinking I might need to scale it back and just do FE3 to ensure compatibility.

Of course I would want the furthest evolution for our platform but I don't know how to go about modifying with conversion kits and shims. I just need a simple plug and play unless the conversion is REALLY easy. And I need to see what is involved.

Youtube has shown me how to do rear shocks and springs, and front struts and springs as long as you are replacing with stock. Beyond that I don't have any resource for further modification to make Cobalt FE5 fit in my original FE2 housings without a detailed walkthough. Anyone have a link to this conversion kit I could look at?

post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
No, for that you need the shims also, I believe, since the springs are for Cobalts.

I haven't really been following the latest Powell parts, though, so a simple phone call to CED should get you the right stuff. They know what's up.
Call them say you want the complete set for the ion. They supposedly took the ion set off for a few but you might be able to get it by phone.
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:50 PM

FE5 is not the problem. The spring you choose is the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

But that's the further problem 1313, CED doesn't SHIP to Canada so I can't even contact them.

Chicken man - from what everyone is saying, YYZ is apparently the best and if I'm going to spend money I'd prefer to get the best I can. If I don't go YYZ, what would you recommend as an alternative?

post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGEOUS View Post
But that's the further problem 1313, CED doesn't SHIP to Canada so I can't even contact them.

Chicken man - from what everyone is saying, YYZ is apparently the best and if I'm going to spend money I'd prefer to get the best I can. If I don't go YYZ, what would you recommend as an alternative?

I mentioned before if you would like you can ship them to me and I'll re ship them to you, just a thought.

YYZ, Pedder, SSC, everything else are pretty much a drop spring = slammed and horrid ride. Pedder are cobalt springs so ya need new top hats and the shim kit from Powell, think they like 15$. I think the SSC springs are ion drop springs for the regular ion with a huge drop but when put on a redline it's only like a 1.5 from stock. They don't need the shims.

Just remember no matter what spring you go with you will need top hats cause they are prone to rust and most likely won't come apart nicely. I just took mine apart today to replace my struts and they were rusted up. Local part place had new ones luckily so got them back together hopefully get my stage2 axles in tomorrow, driver side done passenger side bein a pita.
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-13-2015, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks 1313. I think I'm just going to go FE3 stock. As much as I'd like to do FE5 I know FE3 will slip right in no problem. The money saved can go toward front and rear sway bars I guess.

A bit of a let down seeing as I got my hopes up after all the cool stuff I heard about FE5 but skill ad logistics seem to be against me so I'll just revert to my original plan of trying to turn my ION3 into a factory Redline. Good enough I guess.

post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 02:17 AM

Youre still missing it. Fe5 shocks and struts will bolt right up. Its the SPRINGS you choose that cause the extra work. Yes, youre going to need new top hats, regardless. Yyz and pedders will require the extra work to make the SPRING fit.
Like I stated before, I use the SSC springs that were designed for ions. It will be a drastic drop for your car. For my redline it was 1.25 front, 1.5 back. But the redline sat lower then a base to start with.
I bought my redline in disappointment that I couldn't boost my 03. And didn't know crap about anything other than changing a tire and my oil. It really isn't hard to do this stuff if you just pay attention to what youre doing and do your research.
Were all here to help each other out. If you want yyz's with fe5s, just take our advice.

Billy
Louisiana
03 Ion-1 Sedan (Topanga)
06 Ion Redline

Last edited by goaliemo; 06-14-2015 at 02:23 AM.
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGEOUS View Post
Thanks 1313. I think I'm just going to go FE3 stock. As much as I'd like to do FE5 I know FE3 will slip right in no problem. The money saved can go toward front and rear sway bars I guess.

A bit of a let down seeing as I got my hopes up after all the cool stuff I heard about FE5 but skill ad logistics seem to be against me so I'll just revert to my original plan of trying to turn my ION3 into a factory Redline. Good enough I guess.

Like goal said it is the spring that requires the shim kit not the fe5 update, the fe5 parts are a direct swap. The shim kit isn't a big deal. All it is is 2 big washers that sandwich the top hat bearing. You will want new top hats anyway so it's no big deal putting them in.

You will want
fe5 strut new
Spring retainer old
Spring new
Spring top old
1 shim from kit new
Bearing new comes with top hat
Other shim from kit
Center hat rubber from top hat
Old strut nut, fe5 nut won't work use stock nut
Top hat cover bolt it down
Stick it in car done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in