RAGEOUS - General update and lowering spring question - Page 4 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Alright, I know I am really slow in getting this but like I said, I'm an amateur.

So first, thanks 1313 in pointing out what I would need and what the conversion kit would entail. I would have to first find one and second, find a way to get it. So for slow, basic me, could you please point out in this diagram using the numbers, explaining exactly what from the conversion kit would go where? (eg. the washers go between #this and ##this, etc.)

Second question for Mr. conservative me playing it safe: If I were to get FE5 shock/struts and FE3 springs - would ANY additional hardware be needed or could I just reuse all my hardware from my stockers (top hats, everything else)? The FE3 springs would fit on FE5 struts, correct?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGEOUS View Post
Alright, I know I am really slow in getting this but like I said, I'm an amateur.

So first, thanks 1313 in pointing out what I would need and what the conversion kit would entail. I would have to first find one and second, find a way to get it. So for slow, basic me, could you please point out in this diagram using the numbers, explaining exactly what from the conversion kit would go where? (eg. the washers go between #this and ##this, etc.)

Second question for Mr. conservative me playing it safe: If I were to get FE5 shock/struts and FE3 springs - would ANY additional hardware be needed or could I just reuse all my hardware from my stockers (top hats, everything else)? The FE3 springs would fit on FE5 struts, correct?

The shims go one both sides of 17 if you buy Pedder springs. If you can find a set of redline springs you wouldn't need shims but you will need new top hats because I can guaranty yours will most likely not come apart well. They are about 50$ for the set. If you do fe5 struts/shocks you can get it all from Amazon and just go with the SSC or used redline springs and new top hats.

Just did mine these are 2 years old had to cut 2 bolts

New ones

Last edited by REDLINE1313; 06-14-2015 at 12:31 PM.
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

THAT'S the kind of completely obvious walkthrough I was needing 1313, thank you my friend!

Okay, so route 1 (conversion) - it's just two washers that sandwich #17 in the diagram? Are you guys using the terms "conversion kit" and "shim" interchangably? Because I liken a shim to a spacer, and that seems to be what you described.

Route 2 (FE5 shocks/struts & FE3 springs) - Completely fit together and no additional hardware needed? In the case that my top hats DO come apart nicely from my stock FE2 setup, would I even need to buy anything new aside from the shocks/struts/springs? I will if I need to but just want to know.

Thanks for the pics!

post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM

Getting an idea of what you want this is what I would suggest if you don't go with the YYZ setups.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YMPL1Y/?tag=viglink28012-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SGYDK8/?tag=viglink28012-20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SGYLO6/?tag=viglink28012-20 x2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026M5R0S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01 X2

http://www.amazon.com/Sachs-W0133-1697947-SAC-Strut-Mounting-Kit/dp/B00A7MKYAM/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Saturn%7C53&Model=Ion%7C2448&Year=2007%7C2007&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive x2

SSC Lowering Springs - Suspension & Brakes

Doing all new is the way to go. Your parts are going to be bad that is why you are replacing them.......why do half and half
Everything is on amazon cept the springs. Sign up for a 30day amazon prime trial and you get free shipping then wait a few weeks and cancel it.

Last edited by REDLINE1313; 06-14-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Look at you 1313 - going the extra mile and even finding links for me. And going even FURTHER to show me how to be a weasel and get free shipping lol! XD

Once again, those prices won't apply to me as I cannot order from amazon.com, I have to use the Canadian site amazon.ca and they likely won't have the parts but I will look. Also, I had NO intention of or idea that I'd need to do anything with the Sway Bar Links if non-stock springs were going to be installed so I think that just about seals it for me. I'm going FE3 springs with FE5 shocks/struts - all stock. I know, I think a bunch of you were rooting for me to finally do my first major aftermarket upgrade but hey - even THIS upgrade with all stock OEM components is way better than what I currently have so I'll be happy. I'll be lower and handle better, and that's what I was after.

Really appreciate all the help everyone. I'll start ordering tomorrow and everything will likely arrive in a few weeks to a month. I'll keep you apprised of my progress and also post if I have any further questions.

One last bit - While I'm doing all of this I'm planning on getting a front strut bar from ZZP and a Powell Triple X Rear Sway Bar unless anyone suggests I go with something different for those two.

post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Look at you 1313 - going the extra mile and even finding links for me. And going even FURTHER to show me how to be a weasel and get free shipping lol! XD

Once again, those prices won't apply to me as I cannot order from amazon.com, I have to use the Canadian site amazon.ca and they likely won't have the parts but I will look. Also, I had NO intention of or idea that I'd need to do anything with the Sway Bar Links if non-stock springs were going to be installed so I think that just about seals it for me. I'm going FE3 springs with FE5 shocks/struts - all stock. I know, I think a bunch of you were rooting for me to finally do my first major aftermarket upgrade but hey - even THIS upgrade with all stock OEM components is way better than what I currently have so I'll be happy. I'll be lower and handle better, and that's what I was after.

Really appreciate all the help everyone. I'll start ordering tomorrow and everything will likely arrive in a few weeks to a month. I'll keep you apprised of my progress and also post if I have any further questions.

One last bit - While I'm doing all of this I'm planning on getting a front strut bar from ZZP and a Powell Triple X Rear Sway Bar unless anyone suggests I go with something different for those two.

You don't need end links they were just on my list but they aren't a bad thing to replace while ya under there. Check yer brakes too. I would worry the redline springs might not be enough drop for you. You might wanna do SSC if ya ordering from zzp anyway.
Strut bar is almost worthless, rear is supposed to be worth it but I'm goin with the zzp one cause I can't bring myself to pay 325$ for a metal bar.
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

It's $325?! Dagum. Okay I might just do the ZZP one then too. I'll still pop for the front one though, it's pretty cheap. As for the springs, it'll be okay. There will be a drop from where I am so that's good enough. I still want a nice ride and don't know if SSC is just going to drop me and run harsh. FE3s for sure won't seeing as they're factory.

Already did my front brakes last year, was in the initial post of this thread. StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Haven't done the rears yet (in case you didn't know - ION 1-3 have lameo drums lol). Going to open them and see how they're doing. Shoes tend to last a while. ZZP has a disc conversion kit for the Sonic, wish they had one for IONs

Last edited by RAGEOUS; 06-14-2015 at 11:31 PM.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
It's $325?! Dagum. Okay I might just do the ZZP one then too. I'll still pop for the front one though, it's pretty cheap. As for the springs, it'll be okay. There will be a drop from where I am so that's good enough. I still want a nice ride and don't know if SSC is just going to drop me and run harsh. FE3s for sure won't seeing as they're factory.

Already did my front brakes last year, was in the initial post of this thread. StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Haven't done the rears yet (in case you didn't know - ION 1-3 have lameo drums lol). Going to open them and see how they're doing. Shoes tend to last a while. ZZP has a disc conversion kit for the Sonic, wish they had one for IONs

Ya for me the hardcore was 265$ and the 3X was 285$ plus 52$ shipping.

ZZP is 185$ plus 15$ shipping and is equivalent to the hardcore.

Last edited by REDLINE1313; 06-15-2015 at 10:11 AM.
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post

Hey 1313, which were you planning on getting? The second one, right?

Progress Progress - Progress Rear Sway Bar #PRG-62.0430
ZZP ZZPerformance - ZZP Rear Sway Bar for Cobalt #ZZ-RSWBR-CBT

post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post

Hey 1313, which were you planning on getting? The second one, right?

Progress Progress - Progress Rear Sway Bar #PRG-62.0430
ZZP ZZPerformance - ZZP Rear Sway Bar for Cobalt #ZZ-RSWBR-CBT

Yes the ZZP one. Wish they had them in red like they say they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in