RAGEOUS - General update and lowering spring question - Page 9 - Saturn ION RedLine Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
If you buy new drums and either have them powdercoated or degrease them and paint them yourself, you might have a decent finish. Or you can buy covers that look like disc brakes. Drums are fine unless you need repeated hard braking when their inability to dissipate heat compared to discs shows.
Yeah I know, my brakes work fine I just don't like how they look. I've never once had the opportunity to race her on a circuit so I don't *need* discs, I just want them. I WAS going to do my rear brake job but after taking off the drums and seeing the amount of meat still on the shoes I'm opting to delay new drums. Easily have another 3 years of life left.

As for those faux disc "drum hubcaps" as I call them, appreciate the suggestion but I laugh at that kind of thing. It's like when spinner wheels were the shiz and people that couldn't afford them got spinner hubcaps lol. I'd rather just people know I have drums than fake wannabe discs a la Bumblebee in the first Transformers film with the fake concept Camaro XD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 02:20 PM

I hear ya. I always chuckle at the guys who paint their drums bright red and then put some thin spoke wheel on the car and it becomes VERY obvious that it has drums.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Q: What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
A: First, you screw. Then, you bolt.
post #83 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone - so I got all of my gear and I've started the install. Noob question though: here's a pic of my rear YYZ springs - which side is UP? lol. It's not marked but the one end is more tightly coiled and has some sort of black coating (sound dampening?) on it while the other side is loosely coiled and bare.

Also, how do I get my old springs out? I loosened (actually removed) the shock and the suspension dropped to maximum extension but I still can't remove it. I know you're supposed to push down but I don't want to break it. Please advise, thanks!

post #84 of 90 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGEOUS View Post
Hey everyone - so I got all of my gear and I've started the install. Noob question though: here's a pic of my rear YYZ springs - which side is UP? lol. It's not marked but the one end is more tightly coiled and has some sort of black coating (sound dampening?) on it while the other side is loosely coiled and bare.

Also, how do I get my old springs out? I loosened (actually removed) the shock and the suspension dropped to maximum extension but I still can't remove it. I know you're supposed to push down but I don't want to break it. Please advise, thanks!

Tight coil are top I believe and you wont hurt anything push down and pull em out. you might have to stick a pry bar under the spring to pop it up off the bump stops. If I remember right I pryed under the bump stop and it all came out together. Did you remove your shocks? They wont come out if you don't unhook the shocks to let the rear drop.
post #85 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLINE1313 View Post
Just ordered my ZZP bar and a magnetic oil plug.
Hey 1313, I'm wondering if you've installed your sway bar yet. I'm done the install of my FE5/YYZ suspension parts but have yet to bring it in for alignment so I haven't driven it yet. Also haven't installed the front strut bar/rear sway (will do that after alignment). Pics will come soon though friendlies - she did drop although not as deep as most of yours. But I'm okay with it - much improved stance over FE2 stock and I shouldn't have to worry about any scrapey scrapey!

Anyway, while I was under the rear I saw WHERE the bar should bolt on but don't exactly understand how. I have the bar as well as a bracket/washer with the two bolts on it. How exactly are you supposed to put the bracket onto the frame?

post #86 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Hey 1313, I'm wondering if you've installed your sway bar yet. I'm done the install of my FE5/YYZ suspension parts but have yet to bring it in for alignment so I haven't driven it yet. Also haven't installed the front strut bar/rear sway (will do that after alignment). Pics will come soon though friendlies - she did drop although not as deep as most of yours. But I'm okay with it - much improved stance over FE2 stock and I shouldn't have to worry about any scrapey scrapey!

Anyway, while I was under the rear I saw WHERE the bar should bolt on but don't exactly understand how. I have the bar as well as a bracket/washer with the two bolts on it. How exactly are you supposed to put the bracket onto the frame?

Ill post a pic tomorrow.
post #87 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:

OK not sure these will help but Ill try to explain because they didn't send me directions either. If you look at the area just up from were your spring seats you will see 3 holes in the axle beam. If I remember right there was 2 larger ones and a smaller one almost under your spring perch. You will want to slide the nut bracket nuts up into the cross member from the spring perch so the nuts line up with the farthest to the rear holes, should be the smaller one and the first large one. The bar follows the curve of your cross member, I put a jack stand in the middle to hold the bar up so its easier to lift the side up and put a bolt threw it and your axle to thread into the nut bar. Get both bolts in and threaded but leave them loose. Then do the other side same way. Lift the bar and snug them up. Once all snug then tighten them up and it should be good. They are good size bolts so I torqued em the german way, gootentight.

Yes my springs look like shit. Pedder springs tend to get that way for some reason I hope yours hold up better.

Last edited by REDLINE1313; 08-03-2015 at 08:48 PM.
post #88 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I was looking at some old threads and think I figured it out - will have to wait until the alignment though. Just couldn't see where the hole was to slide the bracket into the frame but I see that it's just under the spring perch. Thanks for taking the time to take/post the pics though, and hope you notice a difference when cornering!

Looks like you didn't paint yours though, thought you mentioned you would for extra protection given the winter salt conditions.

Last edited by RAGEOUS; 08-04-2015 at 02:48 PM.
post #89 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was looking at some old threads and think I figured it out - will have to wait until the alignment though. Just couldn't see where the hole was to slide the bracket into the frame but I see that it's just under the spring perch. Thanks for taking the time to take/post the pics though, and hope you notice a difference when cornering!

Looks like you didn't paint yours though, thought you mentioned you would for extra protection given the winter salt conditions.

Nah just tossed it on. You can't really see it where it is unless you get down and look under. I might spray it down with undercoating next time I get under there. You shouldn't have to wait for the rear bar I don't think there is anything to align back there.
post #90 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

It's Okay, no rush I'm not driving her. I have my company car. I'll get the alignment done as well as the power steering recall and put the rest of the stuff on after. Going to paint my bars too so there's also that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in