LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Tried to order the FE5/YYZ plug and play from CED yesterday had an issue with the web site and called them today to find out the YYZ springs are back ordered for like a month they said. LAME but I can wait. I also ordered the FE5 control arms and solid rubber bushings from ZZP. I went with the rubber bushings because they were cheep so I will have to see if I get what I paid for but I donít race or auto cross or anything like that. Iím wondering if the YYZ spring is going to lower the car enough to warrant a rotated rear trans mount? Also if anyone has used the steering rack spacers ZZP sells and if you all would also think that is necessary with the YYZ setup?
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevTech View Post
Tried to order the FE5/YYZ plug and play from CED yesterday had an issue with the web site and called them today to find out the YYZ springs are back ordered for like a month they said. LAME but I can wait. I also ordered the FE5 control arms and solid rubber bushings from ZZP. I went with the rubber bushings because they were cheep so I will have to see if I get what I paid for but I donít race or auto cross or anything like that. Iím wondering if the YYZ spring is going to lower the car enough to warrant a rotated rear trans mount? Also if anyone has used the steering rack spacers ZZP sells and if you all would also think that is necessary with the YYZ setup?
Sucks that the YYZ lit is back ordered but worth the wait... spring/ summer is coming up do it should time perfectly when you get it

YYZ will lower the front 1.50 back 1.25 inches after they brake in

The rotated mounts are to shift the engine so the axels are more in a perpendicular alignment rather than an angled alignment... this helps prevent axles from binding and creating wheel hop.. not necessary for lowering as the rotated mounts shift the engine in a more horizontal direction rather than vertical.. the mounts are a good upgrade if you are doing a lot of hard pulls from a stop... the car feels more solid with them but you will get vibes for awhile till they brake in as well...

Steering track spacers shouldn't be necessary.. I have trans/engine rotated mounts with YYZ and FE5 control arms and steering feels really good

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:53 AM

Garage
djames beat me to it.

The FE5/YYZ swap is not a huge drop. About 3/4" higher than my saggy Teins. The car looks good on them, and the feel is awesome. The car rides better than stock, and then you take the turns.

Go with the Powell front rotated mount, LNF rear mount, and spacer. It cured my wheelhop issues. Now the car just boils the tires, it doesn't make them hop. Your axles will thank you. The rotated mounts have nothing to do with ride height, and everything to do with the fact that the factory mounts were designed to line up an automatic transmission correctly, not the F35. The rotated mounts correct the alignment issue.

The steering spacers are for people who like to lower their car so much that the handling suffers. My Teins weren't low enough for spacers, and the YYZ's are higher than that.

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Gone but not forgotten.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM

The Powell rotated front mount and rear LNF with a spacer cured the wheel hop for me too.

How stiff are the YYZ springs? I'm lowered on SSC, they aren't bad, but I rub my rear tires because it squats on hard acceleration. Do you think the YYZ's would give better traction due to less squat?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:15 PM

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 PM

So I just want to put in my two cents here. Iím running a rotated rear trans mount and I went with Fe5 and the YYZ springs. Junk. Hit a pothole and say goodbye to your car lmao. I am running the ZZP rotated trans mount and solid engine mount with an ingalls stiffy as well. Put In a stock suspension from an 07í (car was a part out had like 12,000, on it, steal find I know.) and just installed the ZZP control arms. The wheel hop and torque the car still canít handle. Anyway Iím swapping in an LSD tranny from an 07 as well and just got new ZZP axels. Anyway, the Fe5 and sphericals, donít waste your time. Get the ZZP arms. As for the lowering, the car is low enough, unless you like bottoming out all the time when you hit a crack in the road, donít, if your dragging at the strip, YYZ it up. Trans mounts, and engine mounts will help, as I know all this from first hand a little over 2-3 years into building my RL, so take it from me go ZZP arms, LSD, ZZP axels, mounts, and hopefully Iíll find coil overs around eventually, if every brain dead making under 300whp with drivetrain loss would stop saying YYZ/FE5
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Garage
My 421whp/354wtq turbo car does just fine with the YYZ/FE5 combo, Powell rotated front mount, and LNF/spacer rear. Car doesn't wheel-hop anymore. It will blow the tires off, but won't hop. The top transmission mount and front engine mount are 120,000 mile stockers.

I also have an intercooler hanging lower than any part on your typical Redline, and have no problems with bottoming out over bumps and potholes.

From my experience, the YYZ/FE5 combo is hardly "junk".

2004 Saturn Ion Redline - S256ET | Ported Head
500whp/464wtq @ 28psi on E85

2000 Z28 -
318/304 NA - 435/380 N2O

, Gone but not forgotten.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Lowered cars look better. Gap between the wheel and fender looks fuggin stupid. I have an 07 with LSD stock suspension and it handles ok. Definitely could be better. I think if the FE5 suspension wasnít better than FE3 GM would not have made it. I canít speak on YYZ spring as I donít have them(yet). But what do I know as Iím a brain dead with less than 300 whp
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven LaBoif View Post
So I just want to put in my two cents here. Iím running a rotated rear trans mount and I went with Fe5 and the YYZ springs. Junk. Hit a pothole and say goodbye to your car lmao. I am running the ZZP rotated trans mount and solid engine mount with an ingalls stiffy as well. Put In a stock suspension from an 07í (car was a part out had like 12,000, on it, steal find I know.) and just installed the ZZP control arms. The wheel hop and torque the car still canít handle. Anyway Iím swapping in an LSD tranny from an 07 as well and just got new ZZP axels. Anyway, the Fe5 and sphericals, donít waste your time. Get the ZZP arms. As for the lowering, the car is low enough, unless you like bottoming out all the time when you hit a crack in the road, donít, if your dragging at the strip, YYZ it up. Trans mounts, and engine mounts will help, as I know all this from first hand a little over 2-3 years into building my RL, so take it from me go ZZP arms, LSD, ZZP axels, mounts, and hopefully Iíll find coil overs around eventually, if every brain dead making under 300whp with drivetrain loss would stop saying YYZ/FE5
Not sure what you are doing wrong but Iíve been on pedder springs and all original suspension with Powell mounts for 10 years now and have never had an issue. I just swapped struts lately they lasted 9 years. YYZ are the upgrade to my pedders so like I said not sure what you are doing wrong maybe itís the zzp control arms being I donít think Iíve ever heard anyone on here buy them in the time Iíve been here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Saturn ION RedLine Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in