Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lasts weekend at work a coworker was talking about how fast his new ’96 Eclipse RS is and how its way faster than my car. So I tell him we should race and find out for sure. He agrees so I tell him we should make it interesting and place a $500 wager on it. His eyes get really big and says he doesn’t have $500 but can put $250 on it. We made arrangements to meet up after work, we are both delivery drivers and drive beaters to work. So on my way to meet up with him and he calls me saying his car broke down and he can’t race it but he has his brothers ’02 vette. This was one hell of a jump but I figured I am young and have time to make the money back if I lose. We meet on a back road in the middle of nowhere line up at a stop sign and we were to race to the tractor crossing sign down the road. His girl friend gets out of the car and stands between the two cars. She raises her arms and throws them down to start the race. I got a jump on him while he was sitting there spinning his tires with every shift I could see him creeping up on me but as we passed the tractor crossing sign I was about a fender length in front of him. Taking my $250 and sending him home with his tail between his legs.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Just goes to show you that the driver can make ALL the difference.

Be glad he sat there and spun or you'd be the one coughing up the 250 bones. :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
If it's true, it sounds like a fun kill. One thing though, I thought it was supposed to be very hard or close to impossible to burn rubber on the C5s due to their crazy traction control. Maybe that's just in autos, but I'm pretty sure it goes both with autos and manuals. I don't know though, have never driven one, just have heard this from multiple vette owners...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
jpapa said:
If it's true, it sounds like a fun kill. One thing though, I thought it was supposed to be very hard or close to impossible to burn rubber on the C5s due to their crazy traction control. Maybe that's just in autos, but I'm pretty sure it goes both with autos and manuals. I don't know though, have never driven one, just have heard this from multiple vette owners...
Hey, I'm voting on truth. Last Sat I beat an '04 GTO at the strip in front of MANY witnesses. Sucked for him. I had wheel hop like a mother, but still pulled a 2.43 60' time and ran a 14.846/96.74mph. He ran a 2.32 60' time and a 15.95/81.62mph. I passed him by the 1/8 mile mark after staying right with him, no doubt his concentration was broken by trying to figure out how the little Saturn was staying beside him. A race can be won or lost depending on the mental state of the drivers involved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
using the trip odometer from the stop sign we measured a 1/4 mile and it was the closest land marker but was a bit short.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Umm, i honestly don't know what to say. i guess the kid can't drive for shit because a vet would hand a RL its ass. It also must of been a real short race cause the Vet would gain and pass in no time even with a crummy driver. Only thing i can gues is if he was manual he missed every gear. But i know a4 in the c5's is sllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww. Slow enough that my Srt-4 can keep up with it. Yah never know, he could of beat him and then again it could be a story he made up. I'll give it to yah though no sence in argueing. if a c5 owner gets wind of this i would put money down that he would say,

"THAT IS TOTAL BS, I COULD BEAT YOU FROM A ROLL OR A DIG WHILE IN REVERSE!!!"

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Wow... I can't even comment on this one.... I can't see how the hell that would happen. I'm up for calling any Redline win a good one, but I'm having a hard time with this one... With all the electronics on the Vette, he never should have been able to smoke up the tires like that, unless he turned it all off. If so, that's his own damn fault. Other than driver error, serious error, this should never happen....

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
You also have to take into account that the guy he was racing normally drives an eclipse, and that the C5 was his brother's car. He might not really have a good sense on how to drive it to it's potential, unless he's driven it a good deal before. If any of you get put into a Ferrari from our RLs, we would not be able to show the true strength of a Ferrari right away. It'll take a good short time to figure out the best combination of clutch/throttle and all that.
I'm just not sure on how truthful this kill is, given it's his first post, and the smoking of the tires in a C5 and all that I've heard about that. You can't just turn the traction control off in those cars (I don't think?). You'd have to modify the car to be able to do that.
And Blu, you beating that GTO, I know these things are possible, but that seems like a real slow time for a GTO...he must have had one bad run and missed a gear pretty bad.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
jpapa said:
You also have to take into account that the guy he was racing normally drives an eclipse, and that the C5 was his brother's car. He might not really have a good sense on how to drive it to it's potential, unless he's driven it a good deal before. If any of you get put into a Ferrari from our RLs, we would not be able to show the true strength of a Ferrari right away. It'll take a good short time to figure out the best combination of clutch/throttle and all that.
I'm just not sure on how truthful this kill is, given it's his first post, and the smoking of the tires in a C5 and all that I've heard about that. You can't just turn the traction control off in those cars (I don't think?). You'd have to modify the car to be able to do that.
And Blu, you beating that GTO, I know these things are possible, but that seems like a real slow time for a GTO...he must have had one bad run and missed a gear pretty bad.
The GTO did have a bad run, Blu knows that. Point is, he won. A Vette and a GTO are pretty different though. The Vette as an amazing system to launch you, that's how you launch a Vette, rev it up and go. Let the electronics modulate things for you. Of course you can still go too much, but it's hard, UNLESS he turned off all the driver aids. That's his own damn fault then. I can believe that he beat the driver of the Vette, but there's no way the Redline beat the Vette.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I believe you can turn off the traction control in those Vettes.

A guy I used to work with had an '03 Z06 and he could turn his on and off. In fact, one of his excuses was he left it on when he lost to my buddy's SHO.

Next time they raced, he made sure he turned it off and still got his ass handed to him by the SHO. :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
JPK said:
I believe you can turn off the traction control in those Vettes.

A guy I used to work with had an '03 Z06 and he could turn his on and off. In fact, one of his excuses was he left it on when he lost to my buddy's SHO.

Next time they raced, he made sure he turned it off and still got his ass handed to him by the SHO. :D
I think the Z06s give you the option to play with traction control..but I'm not sure if the stock C5s have that kind of control...I'm going to look into it though.

·
Banned
189 Posts
A corvette runs high twevles he would have to burn out in all gears to lose to a redline alright u guys are so fucking funny ur faster then evos and stis now ur faster then vettes.No.

·
Registered
291 Posts
silver05srt4 said:
A corvette runs high twevles he would have to burn out in all gears to lose to a redline alright u guys are so fucking funny ur faster then evos and stis now ur faster then vettes.No.
dude go away

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm gonna believe it just because I want to believe its true. But if it was me and the guy told me he was going to bring a vette to the race, I would have called it off unitl he got his car back. But I have seen a few Vettes run 13s at a local track, they were old men. My guess is the kid launched to hard and spun the [email protected] out. My first time down the drag strip with my mach1 resulted in a 15 second pass because I launched to hard, so who knows.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I tried looking into what kind of controls there are in the C5s. It looks like you can put the car into a regular mode, competition mode, and turn everything off mode, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find any clear cut descriptions on what controls the driver has, just a lot of aftermarket products to easily switch traction control off an on. If anyone knows for a fact you can easily switch stock C5s (not z06s) into different modes, it would be nice to know, I'm pretty curious.
That's the other thing about this story, that when he heard that the person he was racing was bringing a corvette, that he still accepted the $250 challenge...I'm sure it's possible for us to beat a corvette, but it will take a really crappy driver in the corvette for us to do so. It just seems there's some oddities to this kill story.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now that i think about it i'm gunna call bs on it. Where does it say he was roasting the tired through all his gears? also how long was the race 200 ft or 3 miles? we don't know. All we know is he supposedly raced a vet for 250 and beat it. I dunno about you but i don care what driver was in the vet i would not race one if there was money for grabs. Would you race a vet even if you had no clue about the drivers driving abilties for 250? i mean dang i could use that 250 and put it towards my car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My guess is the kid was too much of a newbie driving the 'Vette. While I do call BS on him losing in the "supposed" 1/4 mile, I can believe him losing to the IRL in, say, the 1/8 mile which is where the IRL would be ahead since the 'Vette got a ridiculously poor launch, and would play catch up the rest of the way.

I've had some pathetic launches in my day at the track (hell, they still suck... a 2.1 60'? blah, of course i'm still on shitty street tires), but I will have to call BS on this race because throughout the whole 1/4 mile run, I have MORE than enough time to catch up and pass cars running 14's (high 14's is where I assume stock IRL's run) if my launch is nothing but either wheelspin or bogging.

I'm with the rest of you guys: BS on this one.

·
Registered
291 Posts
there's only on way to find out the truth some one get a vette rev it up to redline dump the clutch and see how many gears we can keep the tires smokin in

1 - 20 of 65 Posts