Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a fun night of pool a buddy of mine hadn't gone for a ride yet. So I decided to show off the redline. It was cold out and the streets were a bit wet so I didn't want to go to far. And it was 1:30 in the morning on a high cop volume area. We get into a group of 4 cars, me a yellow focus and 2 neons. Now the neons were no problem. Complete stock grandma cars driven by 18 year olds. But the Focus, a yellow one with the cool carbon fiber rear euro lights. He was interested. We run side by side for a few miles gunning it now and then just to get a feel for the other guy. We finnally get to a light. He had his window down so I rolled mine down. "Go on Green?" he said more like a question then a statement. I said sure why not. we decided on 50 mph and then let off. He actually said "let's keep it safe, how about up to 50?" I was impressed. I asked him what he had, he said exhaust and intake. Then he asked if mine was one of those new redlines, with a Big smile I said of course. He shook his head and let out a 4 letter word. Light turns green and off we went. Well more accuaratly off he went. I got into a wheel hop and the tires finnally caught in 2nd. He got about a cars length ahead of me but by the time we hit 50 we were neck and neck. Should have made it 60 mph and I deffinitly would have showed him what a redline can do. So a thumbs up from me and him and we made our turns and went off into the night. Both satisfied at a good run. So homeward bound, it started to snow, again. Can't wait until summer when the roads are dry and warm.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah. That is the killer. Just trying to get these cars to hook up. Alot of cars get the jump on me because no matter what I spin the tires through first and second, but I always catch up. :D

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Launching is tricky.

I have never had problems with spinning through second. Once I'm in second it's all pulling.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Ran a 98 or 99 5 speed mustang gt tonight. Was a good race. Even in first started pulling in second by 3 I had 2 1/2 cars on him. Then we slowed down. He asked what I had I told him a supercharged 4 banger with a smile. Got a thumbs up and went our different ways'

·
Registered
272 Posts
launching in slick conditions is very tricky...my first streetrace loss was becasue of my wheel hop and no traction through first and part of second to an srt-4..that was dissapointing.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So basicaly the general consencus is, is that first gear sucks. And that unless the rase is of decent mp (55+) we are going to lose. The redline's wi is dependent on 2nd and 3rd gear from a dead stop. I know that on the highway, if you just drop it into 4th you are going to take your advisary out. We learned that from the firebird thread. So the question is, what are we to do about 1st gear, any thoughts?

·
Registered
109 Posts
1st gear is pushing alot of torque im guessing, when I test drove I couldnt tell, I didn't try launching(dealer wouldnt of liked that one :)) but as for 1st gear it seems pretty powerful to me. I suppose LSD could definetly make the wheels grip better..you wouldnt need to launch at such high RPM's.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person that has a bunch of Foci (plural spelling?) trying to race. I guess they figure any car about the same size or close as theirs they're going to try to race? I'm yet to encounter an SVT focus but from what I've heard the stock ones are all bark and no bite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts