Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving one of the streets on my neighborhood when I saw this Mitsu drop top pull up next to me. It didn't appear to have anything special done to it, but I noticed the driver was of the "fast and furious" variety (young buck). I didn't think he was going to run me but seeing as I was on the road for about 2 hours, had only slept a total of 3 hours the prior night and was ready to get home, I did a typical Jack-Rabbit start. I'm guessing he thought I was running him because I saw him try his best to stay with me out of the corner of my eye. Initially we were side by side, but when I saw that he was trying to run I gunned it and slowly started pulling on him in 3rd gear going about 45 (the zone is marked 35 for whatever reason). We pull up to the next light. He had to change lanes and get behind me to avoid a car ahead of us, so I did the "gentlemanly" thing and pull over to the next lane to allow him to pull up next to me at the next light. At this point I am well aware of his intentions. The light turns green, and I hear his tires squeal in his attempt to get the jump on me which fails, we I'm 1/4 a car ahead of him through 1st gear, and quickly shift to 2nd gear. I pull 1 car ahead of him in 2nd gear and take it up to 50 MPH in 3rd which at this point I'm a good 2 car lengths ahead of him. A good 4 car lengths ahead is another car in his lane so he has to pull in behind me. At this point I begin to slow down (this part of town always has a cop lying in wait for just such an occassion) and watch him get behind me. I downshift to 3rd gear while he's behind me again and pull on him like nothing. As I am watching in my rear-view mirror I see him give me what appears to be a grin of disgust as he notes that a Saturn just handed him his lunch twice. Ahhh I love shaking up the automotive Status-Quo :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,868 Posts
Shaking up the automotive status quo is ALWAYS a good time - got a few bizarre looks from a Corvette driver on the road today who thought he'd blow my doors off just driving easy & I raced right by him.

However, I can't figure out why a Mitsu Spyder was giving you so much trouble . . . I used to have a 6-cyl 4-spd auto 2002 Firebird that would walk all over a new-model Eclipse any day, and the redline is faster than that Birdy by a long shot. I would've thought you could've put distance on that thing by the middle of 2nd gear. IIRC, their 0-60 time (for the Spyder) was like 9.0 seconds, cuz they're lugging around 3800 lbs of convertible equipment & chunky car.

There's a black Eclipse that is parked up at the Library near me all the time (coupe, 5-speed) that I'd like to have a run against, just to know. That and my buddy's 1995 TSi . . . (Sorry the TSi isn't TECHNICALLY an Eclipse, but you know all that DSM b/s.)
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
There's a black Eclipse that is parked up at the Library near me all the time (coupe, 5-speed) that I'd like to have a run against, just to know. That and my buddy's 1995 TSi . . . (Sorry the TSi isn't TECHNICALLY an Eclipse, but you know all that DSM b/s.)
and we're not TECHNICALLY the same car as the Cobalt but...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
However, I can't figure out why a Mitsu Spyder was giving you so much trouble . . .
Well the 2nd stop light I took him easily. The area I was in has cops all over so I only took him to about 40-50 though, the 1st "stop light" race was me just doing my normal jack-rabbit start (not foot to the floor but almost) and I still handled him with ease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok along these lines I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. This guy at work claims his eclipse will do all of 163 MPH. I told him that I've never heard of the STOCK eclipse doing that kind of speed. He claims his is FACTORY TWIN TURBOED but I don't recall hearing this nor have I been able to find anything online about a factory twin-turbo 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I'm tempted to have him pop the hood for me so I can see but I'm thinking he'll find some other B.S. to pull out of his ass. Anyone here ever heard of a FACTORY TWIN TURBOED eclipse and if its even a modded eclipse does 163 sound reasonable?
 

·
Superd00d
Joined
·
22,040 Posts
TXRLU said:
Ok along these lines I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. This guy at work claims his eclipse will do all of 163 MPH. I told him that I've never heard of the STOCK eclipse doing that kind of speed. He claims his is FACTORY TWIN TURBOED but I don't recall hearing this nor have I been able to find anything online about a factory twin-turbo 03 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I'm tempted to have him pop the hood for me so I can see but I'm thinking he'll find some other B.S. to pull out of his ass. Anyone here ever heard of a FACTORY TWIN TURBOED eclipse and if its even a modded eclipse does 163 sound reasonable?
I would think that a factory twin-turbo Eclipse, would have to be running in the 300hp area, no? Oh wait, are you talking about the V6 with a twin setup? That thing would be pushing, should be pushing, well over 300hp. I mean, it's 200-210 with the V6 in there. Not sure where he would get the top-speed from, unless he's taking to top speed himself, I've never heard of one either. Although, most people never heard of the ZL-1 Camaros that got put out the last year the Camaros were made either, and those monsters are out there. VERY few of them, like 30 or something, I would think the price for a one-off Eclipse like that would be astronomical. I'd call BS on it, without visual proof that is. Even then, there's no way of knowing if it came from the factory like that, or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
i don't think there speed-o's go that high to get a reading like that but i could be wrong
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top