Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the parts catalog there is a place for a bypass/blowoff valve to go in the picture but no valve itself. It shows it right on top of the plate where the Intercooler Coolant lines go on the right side of the Intake manifold. Is this a known subject or could you guys with 04's check and see if you have a valve on top of that plate. I looked at an 05 on the lot and didnt see anything..

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Partsspec said:
In the parts catalog there is a place for a bypass/blowoff valve to go in the picture but no valve itself. It shows it right on top of the plate where the Intercooler Coolant lines go on the right side of the Intake manifold. Is this a known subject or could you guys with 04's check and see if you have a valve on top of that plate. I looked at an 05 on the lot and didnt see anything..
Isn't it an internal system?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A valve that bypasses the compressor but not a blowoff type valve. I didnt see it on the 05 that I looked at so check your 04's

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Partsspec said:
A valve that bypasses the compressor but not a blowoff type valve. I didnt see it on the 05 that I looked at so check your 04's
I have an '05...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Partsspec said:
The only valve I know of that bypasses the supercharger is inside the supercharger itself. Incoming air bypasses the supercharger's rotors until it is spinning fast enough to be effective.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I look at it this morning with a cup of coffee. This tube I was looking for looks like it might lead into the bottom of the supercharger for that bypass system.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Signals said:
The only valve I know of that bypasses the supercharger is inside the supercharger itself. Incoming air bypasses the supercharger's rotors until it is spinning fast enough to be effective.
I think it just bypasses when you're not running 100% throttle. I know there's a real difference between pushing my foot down 90% of the way, and when I just smash it. I believe that's how the system works, opens the bypass valve under part throttle/cruising conditions. So when you're on the highway doing 70, you're not using the supercharger and sucking down gas. It's also what opens at around 6,000 rpms to keep the boost levels in check.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyways there isn't a difference in the intakes. I need to look at another one to see how that tube works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
is their any "bolt-on" bov's yet for the Redline? I know that my srt4 had the same type of setup stock, which was a "surge" valve that opened up to relieve the trapped boost pressure and it recirculated it back into the intake right before the turbo. They now have a bunch of varous ways to use a "external"/aftermarket bov and bop (block off plates) to seal up the stock surge valve location.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BOV's only work on engines that have boost entering the throttle body. The redlines boost after the throttle body.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts