Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

04 ion redline help!! Jumped timing??

3K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  goaliemo 
#1 ·
I need some help here guys I’ve been working on imports my whole life and found this ion for cheap and after I fixed all electric problems and other crap from it sitting for 2 years ..... week 3 of ownership it jumped two teeth (I think???) on timing chain on my way to my shop to actually replace the timing and balance shaft chains now here’s the question wtf do I do to check for problem or is it bent valves? I have just about every tool needed to Take it apart but need someone’s advice that’s worked on them I’m in eastern pa and if needed shoot me a txt or phone call car is at home currently and I can take pics or videos if needed car still runs no smoke oil clean coolant clean just horrible tap/knock noise when I start it also can I use a head from non supercharged 2.0???

#2 ·
If it's still running head is fine. Just stop driving it. And no. The head from a base model is not the same.
Dont really need any special tools. Cloyes has a good video on youtube to do the timing

#3 ·
Ok I did the timing chain and tensioner but not the balance shaft chain because of $$ issue put back together with a new (used supercharger) because the bearings were fried from never having a ic pump that worked car starts still have crazy chatter..... I’ll post video and pics of timing going to pull acc belt then start to eliminate acc thanks for ur input

#4 ·
Chatter could also be trans.
But if you're competent enough to do a timing chain in sure you can tell the difference.
Yea, 04s had the pump wired backwards.
Is it throwing any codes?

#5 ·
No codes at all car was perfect Until I installed a flow jet water pump that bolted in place of junk oem one then on day two of pump working I installed boost gauge and took it for a rip and being a dummy I was watching gauge in anger because it was only hitting 8psi when I was in 3rd gear hit rev limit at 6500 for a split sec and the noise began........ noticed the crank pulley destroyed itself replaced it then replaced the supercharger because it was also making grinding / dry bearing noise then I did the timing chain and that’s where I stand now ..... thought it was the clutch/trans but axles and peddle pressure are good going outside now to work on car do u have any tricks to testing for broken trans? And mine is not the comp package but does it have a lsd style diff inside?? I’m pulling my hair out over this lol and I’m the guy who fixes everyone else’s **** ups lol

#6 ·
Did the crank still have the keyway on it? Or did that break off?
The trans can be a bit chattery depending on clutch. Or the input shaft could be taking a chit.
And if you look at the tag on top of the trans, it would tell yuh. I doubt you have an lsd because that was an 05+ thing and theyre slightly different sensor wise as an 04

#9 ·
Did the crank still have the keyway on it? Or did that break off?
The trans can be a bit chattery depending on clutch. Or the input shaft could be taking a chit.
And if you look at the tag on top of the trans, it would tell yuh. I doubt you have an lsd because that was an 05+ thing and theyre slightly different sensor wise as an 04
I dont exactly remember where fuel cut is but it's around that area.
Does it sound like a spun bearing?
I doubt it. But anything is possible
i tried to send u a video but I was outside late last night and because it was 2 am my apartment complex was silent and I rotated engine and felt the knock coming from water pump area then I found a post on internet that said you have to synchronize the balance shaft chain with timing chain and I did not do that.... also the tension on balance chain was loose but in videos people said it was ok because it was oil psi that works tensioner??? I’m thinking I broke or have the balance shafts 180 out soooooo do I just pull both chains and re time them or do I need to buy new one ??? Ur input he’s helped a lot can’t thank u enough

#7 ·
The key was cocked sideways had to remove timing sprocket to remove then new one went right in place no issues but when the crank pulley failed it ground into front cover like 2 mm which strikes me as Odd and angry
( had a dsm that got crank walk ) Oil is still clean and was clean at time of over rev..... would it hit fuel cut at 6500 and because the crank pulley failed blow a rod bearing ?? I’m trying everything before I tear this bitch apart due to funds.... don’t have machine shop money

#8 ·
I dont exactly remember where fuel cut is but it's around that area.
Does it sound like a spun bearing?
I doubt it. But anything is possible

#10 ·
Well then. Your balance shafts very may be out of wack.
I'm not local, but could ship you a balance chain tensioner if you wanted.
Honestly you should probably do the water pump while your in there if money allows.

I would def try to retime all that and get it inline.

#11 ·
Well then. Your balance shafts very may be out of wack.
I'm not local, but could ship you a balance chain tensioner if you wanted.
Honestly you should probably do the water pump while your in there if money allows.

I would def try to retime all that and get it inline.
**** yea man I just ordered a tensioner and it’s next Tuesday at the earliest but I can cancel it my cell is 267-987-9103 shoot me a txt with price of tensioner and overnight shipping the wife has the Venmo thing or a few other payment methods lol I’m a cash kind of guy so the digital paying shit I leave to her I’m about to dive in and redue the timing hoping to sneak in and retime balance shafts without doing engine timing but we shall see thanks again for the knowledge and input man if I had full coverage on this bitch I would have let her burn in the parking spot lol

#13 ·
Andy,
The LSJ is a Valve Interference Engine. I'm not so sure its balance shafts. My guess would be that the chattering is coming from bent valves closing on the valve seat where you're getting 2 tics with the valve closing. That sound would transfer up into the cam follower, into the cam itself and down the length to the timing chain sprocket. The chatter would be from the side bent up hitting the valve seat first followed by the opposite side tapping against the other side of the valve seat when the valve stem is flexed back into position. When you jumped teeth you probably smoked the valves. Best way to find out is to run a compression test and/or check the top of the piston for valve pitting with a borescope or both. If you don't have one compression testers are sold at Harbor Freight for like $30 or you can rent one from O'Reilly's or Autozone.
Rick

#15 ·
Crap I forgot to text you. I did pull the tensioner for you. Get me a list.
As Rick is correct, I have seen the balance shafts shoot out the side from being off balance. May as well shove a borescope in their as well

#16 ·
Crap I forgot to text you. I did pull the tensioner for you. Get me a list.
As Rick is correct, I have seen the balance shafts shoot out the side from being off balance. May as well shove a borescope in their as well
I’ve given up I redid the timing on both chains and didn’t bother trying to start it because knock is still there when I turn crank by hand...... I think it spun a bearing but did so in a way that I can’t feel or test other then putting a scope into oil pan so I’m pulling it out and tossing a good motor in when I tear into current engine and find the problem I’ll let you know thanks for the help this past week I’ve learned a hell of a lot about these shitty American engines lol

#17 ·
These really are pretty solid engines if taken care of. Sounds like you got a lemon. I'm sorry about the bad luck man. Wish I could help you out some

#18 ·
Hey man I had to walk away from this car for awhile lol but I found out that the clutch pedal is shattered where rod locks in and there’s signs of fluid splattered around master sooooo I was reading a post guy said slave and master blew at same time and bearing and other metal knocking in bell housing ...... which I thought would be rod knock or spun bearing etc so does this sound possible or what’s ur opinion lol I’m dropping motor tomorrow first thing before I go buy and pick up parts car with good motor ..... thank u for all of ur help In the past it was definitely needed and appreciated

#20 ·
No it was hard to go third and no way on 4 th but 5th and reverse also I thought the trans gasket was leaking but now soaked everywhere and clutch was funky from the start because first owner paid for new clutch install at a dealership that he tried taking back to “adjust “ it lolsoooo I’m hoping all these clues add up to my big issue lol I need a win here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.