Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to the forums.

I'm finally fed up with no aux input for my ipod on stock '04 head unit with the advanced audio system. Want to replace the unit with something that has an aux in because I think fm modulators are garbage.

My questions are:
1) Can I buy an official saturn ion unit with the aux in from '05-07 off ebay and install that? has anyone here done that if it's possible in the '04 model?
2) if i go the aftermarket route at circuit city what should i look for in a unit? i want to keep the same audio quality..any minimum watts, etc?

·
DSLSJA Godfather
12,303 Posts
The harness you may get/need may be different. They changed many things from the 04 redline to well, all other RL's and balts. It also depends on whether you have the AAS or not as far as a harness go.

Other than that you can do it, not sure why you wouldnt just get a nice upgraded aftermarket head unit imo.

Welcome to the boards btw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the AAS.

I don't want to sound snobby but i want to get a saturn unit with the aux input to maintain the normal look. Some aftermarket things look odd to me.

Has anyone done this? I mean swapped the 04 head unit for an 05-07 unit with the aux input? Does it request some special code or something I've read about?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody?

Has anyone on this forum swapped out the stock AAS '04 cd player for an '06 or '07 stock unit with the aux in outlet?

Can I do this or not?? If anyone could let me know I'd appreciate it. I'd like to buy an '06 or '07 player off ebay.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have an 04 as well, and i would like to do the same thing, i dont like the look of aftermarket simply because thats when people start peeking their heads in your car, and shit gets jacked, so i dont want to do that. i have 2 12' subs and a 1000 watt amp already, i had that installed at Mobile 1 (sp?) so i knew it was installed right, and if i had the money would go back, but again i dont want to have an aftermarket head unit. do you know if its possible to just get like an aux - headphone jack and wire something through the XM box???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C'mon guys, need some help!

I thought practically every single '04 owner would have done this or asked this question over the past several years.

Anyone?

·
Registered
12,221 Posts
I don't know anyone who has done this. But I know who can tell you what you need to know. Call 800-221-0932

And welcome aboard man.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ive tried to ask this same question because I would like to do the same. From what I've been told, you CANNOT put an OEM radio from an 05-07 into your 04 IRL.

So it looks like we are stuck with an aftermarket radio :(

On a side note to people with an 05-07, does that radio have a bass and subwoofer control? Or is it just bass like my 04's radio

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
:shrug03: The radio was the same for the 04-05 year.

IN 06 and up they used a different radio that had an input, but it was bigger. So it will not fit in your dash, without updating your center console completly, wich would be pointless as it would cost more than aftermarket. Here is an idea though, the six disk, wich I assume you have, holds six disks of MP'3, just burn your files onto disk, and play them through your factory radio..............and there you have it, way to many hours of music, over 60, and no need to swap radio's out..............

I am sure there must be an aftermarket adapter out there that allows you to go through FM modulator though............:shrug03:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

I caved in and went the aftermarket route. I got a Pioneer unit with an ipod interface so it seems nice. I would have rather had the official Saturn head unit with the aux in but oh well.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
vlipke said:
I am sure there must be an aftermarket adapter out there that allows you to go through FM modulator though............:shrug03:
There is, it's been available for the Ipod for years.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Auxiliary input adapters, add I-pod, ipod adapter for your car, mp3 player, dvd player or any audio into your car stereo - PIE - PERIPHERAL - PAC - SOUNDGATE - BLITZ
Theres a few.

I know theres a way to swap to the newer style radios, but it requires you having to get the newer center cover (has a/c vents in it, says ION at the center top) Something along those lines. I know someone here has done it.
In my opinion, i would just get a new headunit. Prolly not a good answer, but im not too fond of these radios.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts