Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i really don't know much about vw's, but i ran into this guy back when i had my old Red Line who said he was pushing 23 psi with his stock turbo on a turbo golf. Is the stock turbo capable of 23 psi, and for that matter, can the engine even handle it? I think he was just talking out of his ass trying to scare me or something, cuz he didn't seem like a fan of Red Line's. I just want to know cause i want to race him and show him that my car isn't a pos just cause its made by GM.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't everyone post all at once. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You'll never know until you try. Besides maybe it'll make him change his opinion of Saturns. Oh and not to get all Yoda-ish after your trouble with your other Red Line but, "Mind what you have learned, save you it can"

·
Registered
679 Posts
i have put multiple cars on a 18psi gti aniv. edition. on stock turbo and internals. 23psi would be pushing it w/out any piggy back system. but anything is possible.. go from a stop and let him spin all the way as you pull. then spank him from a 40 b4 his turbo has time to spool up. good luck man

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I knew a guy who had a golf turbo. I can't recall all the specifics but IIRC those are like low 16 second cars stock. 23 psi on the turbo is probably fathomable but just not real effecient.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
23 psi is alot in a car that's not made for 'racing'... hell, some people think 12 is alot in a street car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
yes they are like a 16.3 second car stock, weighing in at like 3200 pounds also. stock they put like 160-170 hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The golf R32 is the only vw you really need to worry about.
they do about 5.9 seconds to 60 mph and low 14's in the 1/4 mile.

HPA has turbo kits out for them but they are real expensive. motortrend did a review on their stage 2 kit a while back. the car put out 550 hp did 3.2 seconds in the 0 to 60 and mid 11's in the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Sp00ner said:
23 psi is alot in a car that's not made for 'racing'... hell, some people think 12 is alot in a street car.

Yeah I know everytime I tell people about my car they are like, oh really that thing has a S/C!!!, I though you just had ground effects on it. Then they ask how much boost and I say 12 pounds and they are allways supprised :rolleyes: . I love it :D

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
12.5 on cold days :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I havent seen many fast saturns, so I dont know what they run in the 1/4. But if you think a SC car will hang with a turbo car on the streets, you are mistaken. Now there are of course exceptions to the rule, but a stock turbo on a small 4cyl, vs a stock S/c on a small 4cyl, the turbo will be faster.

With just a chip, you can get a golf into the mid 14's, and some have touched low low 14's with a great driver. Put on a Turbo back exhaust, and a CAI, and a FMIC, and you will see 100+mph and high 13's with drag radials.

BTW, at 40mph, our turbos are fully spooled.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
That's cute...

Ummm... my blower is spooled at 0 mph... I have 5 psi of boost in 5th gear and doing 30 mph...

The Redline's hit low 14's stock... if you want to use best times...

You're logic about turbos and superchargers is not entirely accurate either. There's alot of big variables that you left out in your magazine racing comparison.

Our trap stock is around 98 mph, so your 100+ with mods is kinda pathetic.

I have 12 pounds of boost at 20 mph in first gear, and my blower dosen't gasp for air at my Redline like that itty-bitty VW turbo does. I've seen it before, and it's cute little intercooler.

Anything else?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Fuhkenmoven said:
I havent seen many fast saturns, so I dont know what they run in the 1/4. But if you think a SC car will hang with a turbo car on the streets, you are mistaken. Now there are of course exceptions to the rule, but a stock turbo on a small 4cyl, vs a stock S/c on a small 4cyl, the turbo will be faster.

With just a chip, you can get a golf into the mid 14's, and some have touched low low 14's with a great driver. Put on a Turbo back exhaust, and a CAI, and a FMIC, and you will see 100+mph and high 13's with drag radials.

BTW, at 40mph, our turbos are fully spooled.

So from this statement, and mine....

1) We have more power stock
2) We have more boost sooner
3) We need no mods to hit mid 14's, and the GM Engineers here claim more than one engineer has pulled of a 13.9xxxx with a great launch
4) Our boost dosen't need to spool
5) You need $500-$1000 in parts an labor to into the high 13's.....

Hmmm.......

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Even with my affinity for turbos I see the absolute complete bullshit in your post. To say it would automatically be faster is asinine. I seem to remeber my stock 1991 Talon turbo only ran mid 15's. It had a turbo, why isn't it faster?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
clownhair said:
Even with my affinity for turbos I see the absolute complete bullshit in your post. To say it would automatically be faster is asinine. I seem to remeber my stock 1991 Talon turbo only ran mid 15's. It had a turbo, why isn't it faster?
Seriously, I've went rounds with this guy over turbos, and if he ain't taking your side, it's all over...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sp00ner said:
So from this statement, and mine....

1) We have more power stock
2) We have more boost sooner
3) We need no mods to hit mid 14's, and the GM Engineers here claim more than one engineer has pulled of a 13.9xxxx with a great launch
4) Our boost dosen't need to spool
5) You need $500-$1000 in parts an labor to into the high 13's.....

Hmmm.......
1) Yes
2)Depends on how you look at it. I hit 20psi @ 2800 rpms now and when I was stock I hit 14psi @ 2000rpms from a stop of course.
3) Great I ran 14's stock also
4) LOL! If I'm going 60mph put it in 3rd the second I hit the gas I have full boost. You have more drivetrain loss to spool your charger...where with a turbo you don't.
5) So do you until you provide a slip otherwise what you heard is just that what you "heard".

Let me clear a few things up.

Stock GTI's 02-present are fully capable of nailing 14's in the 93-94mph range.

Chipped GTI's are fully capable of running low to mid 14's in the 96-98mph range.

Chipped modded GTI's on a stock turbo run anywhere from a documented 12sec pass to high 13's. On the average mid 13's to high 13's is the norm. Trap speeds ranging anywhere from 100mph to 105mph.

Redlines are cool cars you all just need a little education on VW's thats all. :D

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hey... who came trolling in here???

Do you see anyone hating on V-dubs? I sure dont....

There's at least one 14.3 slip on the board, you're more than welcome to look at it.

We can go round over the turbo-super thing, been there, done that 100 times. Turbos have some lag, your turbos are undersized, and have little lag. My supercharger takes A LOT less power than you turbo guys seem to think. You need a little more education on the Eaton Gen IV blowers apparently. You're also gonna have to show me the turbo that makes full boost instantly, there's a list of performance comapnies that would like to know about them. Your statement about 'spooling' the charger makes me wonder about how much you know about blowers.

Whatever forum you guys are coming from, go back there.... we've been through it with all sorts... this would be round 3 from the VW peoples. I've yet to loose to one on the streets. Of course there are ones out there that are faster but....

Again, we didn't come to your board, now did we. Unless you'd like to post what board you're coming from, and then we'll be more than happy... :D

My suggestion is to move on, you have nothing to gain, and no way to win this lame arguement again. Sigh...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
I also find it pretty odd that EVERY speed rating went up from the original troll to the second troll, so untill YOU provide some slips, then we're back to the beginning...

Hey, you guys are from a forum, I'm sure... gotta have people in Chicago right? Lets meet up. I'm down. I'm stock. :D Find me a stock VW to run with. THEN we can start comparing dick sizes with mods and shit. We don't have any, you have decades of them so....

I don't know how all of them compare to a 2002 Jetta with the 1.8T, but my buddies falls back REAL fast. I'm not gonna claim bus lengths, but he won't even joke about it anymore...

Christ, I just read the inital post, I thought it was a kill story for christ's sake. What, are you guys slipping down the totem poll so far that you have to troll around for this??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
If informing you about your ignorance is trolling then so be it.

Timeslip and times for you to look at click on the 1/4th mile times in the right hand corner. Click on the MKIV body style since that is what's talked about here in this post. You sort through them like I have to on your board.

http://www.18turbo.com/enter.html

I don't think I've bashed the Redline once. I've only stated info about VW's because of your lack of knowledge about them.

Your the one who's got sand in their vagina for no reason.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
G.T.I. said:
If informing you about your ignorance is trolling then so be it.

Timeslip and times for you to look at click on the 1/4th mile times in the right hand corner. You sort through them like I have to on your board.

http://www.18turbo.com/enter.html

I don't think I've bashed the Redline once. I've only stated info about VW's because of your lack of knowledge about them.

Your the one who's got sand in their vagina for no reason.
Ok, well there ya go! Have a nice life...

We asked for no information on VW's... I wont be looking since I don't care, you're buddy hopped in making very incorrect blanket statements...

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts