Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my friend at work (sprint) has an 05 STi I convinced him to buy in place of his 04 lightning. He loves the thing and for good reason. He let me drive it and it is well and truly an amazing car.

So I took the woman's redline to work today and proceeded to tell him that I was down for a race. Now we both knew he would smoke me. But he just got done blasting the hell outta our friend Aslam's 04 RSX-S and he started talking shit :)

So I just shut my mouth and laid out the terms - 40mph roll till we're satisfied. I didn't want to go much beyond 90. 3rd honk of the horn.

So we go out to 81, past the area where there's a "double fine" for speeding and drop it to 40mph. There was no traffic for miles. He let me get a little jump not sure how much but at LEAST 1.5 cars becuase he knew he'd catch me (he told me this later, I just knew I got a good jump and he'd be coming hard). So we took it up through 2nd, 3rd and a bit through 4th before he finally passed. He was pulling pretty hard but I was satisfied I held him off until 115mph.

We backed off and that was it for the night. I followed him on some back roads assuming he wanted me to follow. Turned out he was taking an alternate route home. He started taking some corners on a road I had never driven on (at night) and I simply didn't have the balls to try and keep up. That thing was making 25mph right angle turns at ABSURD speeds. I was absolutely amazed and watched in awe.

I caught him at another light and he got out smiling. I told him I didn't want to wreck it tonight so I didn't follow him hard on the corners. He told me that he gave me the jump expecting to catch me but that my car was so fast he was surprised that it took him as long as he did. He then said "that's one quick little car!" (comical given the ION seems massive compared to that tiny STi). We then parted ways. I'll talk with him at work tomorrow but it was alot of fun.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Great run!!! Just by holding them off for a while gets that respect.
Keep the rep up for the Redlines

·
Registered
683 Posts
My roomates husband bought one, First thing I said was "If you want to learn how to drive it come and see me" SInce then he has been through 2 clutches and a set of tires, and somthing with the center diff. (4 months)
I guess he didn't think I was serious. If he ever gets back from Iraq i am going to run him (he still cant drive for shit so I might get a vid of the satty whoppin his ass, I mean hell all it would take is a missed shift or two :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ya, you gotta treat AWD cars nicely and not roast the hell out of them to get them going. Good race with him. Next time your around him, tell him to shift at 6k if hes stock or even on the stock turbo/ecu system. Its been backed up many times that 6k is where to shift as the stock turbo seems to run out of steam afterwards. He'll see probably around .2 or so faster quarter times.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He told me he was at 4500 rpm or so in 4th gear, whereas I was in 2nd. He should have downshifted into 3rd and gone from there - so as to get a better start. But he flat out said he underestimated the redline and that it wouldn't happen again :-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts