Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post! Anyways I'll get to it, I recently installed a new double din raidio. And you guessed it... Have power but no sound. I can't find any solid info on how to get sound. I have AAS with OnStar, however OnStar is not active. Also there is no subwoofer or tweeters either? I've read you can bypass the amp, I'd prefer to keep it wired in if possible. But my question is, what do I need to do to get my speakers to output? Is there an adapter I can buy? Do I need to wire a remote to the amp? I'm kinda stumped here! Thanks for any help!
06 IRL

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
First post! Anyways I'll get to it, I recently installed a new double din raidio. And you guessed it... Have power but no sound. I can't find any solid info on how to get sound. I have AAS with OnStar, however OnStar is not active. Also there is no subwoofer or tweeters either? I've read you can bypass the amp, I'd prefer to keep it wired in if possible. But my question is, what do I need to do to get my speakers to output? Is there an adapter I can buy? Do I need to wire a remote to the amp? I'm kinda stumped here! Thanks for any help!
06 IRL
Believe you need to make sure the stereo is only putting out signal to the amp and not power. If you put power to the amp you will overload it. Did you also get the bypass for the door bell?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dash kit came with a little box to plug into, I was told that would solve door chime and key off issues. My HU turns on I can cycle the menues but the speakers will not turn on at all. And a little red light flashes on my HU I assume a safety mode from over loading the amp? I've wired plenty of radios before but nothing like this.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My dash kit came with a little box to plug into, I was told that would solve door chime and key off issues. My HU turns on I can cycle the menues but the speakers will not turn on at all. And a little red light flashes on my HU I assume a safety mode from over loading the amp? I've wired plenty of radios before but nothing like this.
Check instructions there may be an option in setup to adjust output to line level signal for amps. You may get better power bypassing the amp though because the stereo prolly makes more power.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check instructions there may be an option in setup to adjust output to line level signal for amps. You may get better power bypassing the amp though because the stereo prolly makes more power.
That's what I was thinking bypass it completely for some more power, to do this I think I will have to splice the wires that run in and out of the amp? So I might have a professional audio guy do it. Or maybe I can find a diagram for it? I miss having tunes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your stereo has preamp outputs (most modern aftermarket stereos do) it'll be fine to connect the amp inputs directly to it. The stock amp is switched to only turn on when it gets a 12V "remote" input from the stereo. The remote wire should be pink.
If there's no 12V output on your stereo, you can connect it to an open 12V auxiliary fuse so it'll come on whenever you turn the car on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After all my headache I realized I was given the incorrect harness. None of the pins were even close. So I have another one ordered. Hopefully should solve all the issues. Nobody stocks the harness apparently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the correct harness all plug and play no bypass BS.
P/N 70-2202 metra is the company that makes it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm about to upgrade an '06 Redline with a Pioneer NEX 2330. I believe the car has AAS (has the 6 disk changer).

Anyways, Crutchfield only shows the 70-2202 Metra harness. I don't care about losing OnStar.
But Axxess has a GMOS-LAN-06, which includes not only the radio harness, retains OnStar (don't care), but also retains the Retained Accessory Power as well as all the warning chimes. The reviews on Amazon are 50/50 good/bad.

If I just use the 70-2202 harness, do I lose any capability?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm about to upgrade an '06 Redline with a Pioneer NEX 2330. I believe the car has AAS (has the 6 disk changer).

Anyways, Crutchfield only shows the 70-2202 Metra harness. I don't care about losing OnStar.
But Axxess has a GMOS-LAN-06, which includes not only the radio harness, retains OnStar (don't care), but also retains the Retained Accessory Power as well as all the warning chimes. The reviews on Amazon are 50/50 good/bad.

If I just use the 70-2202 harness, do I lose any capability?[/Q

I ran around to different audio stores for weeks, the crutchfeild I believe is pinned for a base model ion, so you will need to repin to get speakers to work. I ended up special ordering a harness from Best buy that had the correct pin order. It took them a while to find. But I was able to keep my AMP and OnStar not that I use it. But it was direct plug and play.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If I just use the 70-2202 harness, do I lose any capability?[/Q

I ran around to different audio stores for weeks, the crutchfeild I believe is pinned for a base model ion, so you will need to repin to get speakers to work. I ended up special ordering a harness from Best buy that had the correct pin order. It took them a while to find. But I was able to keep my AMP and OnStar not that I use it. But it was direct plug and play.
Was it the GMOS-LAN-06 part you got from BestBuy (with a separate box/module)? They list it at $130. It looks to be the only aftermarket part I can find to retain OnStar (which again, I don't care about).

I did get a response from Crutchfield that the 70-2202 works with both 4/6 speaker systems.

So now I have an inquiry into Metra/Axxess - hopefully their tech will be helpful, since they make both parts.

BTW, the car is in Mt. Pleasant (my son goes to CMU) - maybe I'll just have him stop by and have you install ;)

There is a good write-up in the forum on how to do with for AAS systems - but I'm not allowed to post. Search post # 47087.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The installation was suprisingly way smoother than I thought. There is no box on the harness I purchased from Best buy. Those harnesses are wrong. The guy I talked to was one of the actual radio installers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I can find online is the Metra 70-2202 or the GMS-LAN-06. I think I'm going to move forward using the Metra 70-2202.
Am I going to lose my chimes?

the radio I have (Pioneer 2300NEX) has a built-in amp (50Wx4), and if using an external amp (as AAS has), it indicates I need to connect via RCA rather than using the speaker leads in the harness - and it looks like the AAS amp only has a harness/connector, so I assume I need take the RCA's out of the head unit, and feed them into the harness! I think it's time to crawl through my kid's car and see what things look like back in the trunk.

This task is getting more involved/complicated than I wanted - and it doesn't help than an Ion Redline with AAS is far from a common vehicle!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All I can find online is the Metra 70-2202 or the GMS-LAN-06. I think I'm going to move forward using the Metra 70-2202.
Am I going to lose my chimes?

the radio I have (Pioneer 2300NEX) has a built-in amp (50Wx4), and if using an external amp (as AAS has), it indicates I need to connect via RCA rather than using the speaker leads in the harness - and it looks like the AAS amp only has a harness/connector, so I assume I need take the RCA's out of the head unit, and feed them into the harness! I think it's time to crawl through my kid's car and see what things look like back in the trunk.

This task is getting more involved/complicated than I wanted - and it doesn't help than an Ion Redline with AAS is far from a common vehicle!
I will search to see if I still have the harness bag from the one I bought. I didn't lose any chimes, all my features function. All those harnesses make things frustrating. I'll get back with a number if I find it. I rode around with my dash and trunk torn up for weeks before I finally got the right part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Success!

Installed the Pioneer AVH-2300NEX head unit today with no issues!
The Metra 70-2202 harness worked perfectly on my 2006 Redline with AAS. I did ignore the speaker leads on the radio harness, and instead connected RCA's to the Metra harness so that I didn't put an amplified signal into the AAS amp.
And all the chimes and warnings are working too.

I do have a backup camera yet to install, but my 19yo has limited patience - so perhaps next weekend (all the wires are in).
The most difficult part was getting the radio back in with all the wires - it took a few tries.

More importantly, my 19yo now had Android Auto and CarPlay!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you got it figured out, I got all mine together and forgot to plug in the mic for voice command and hands free phone ? still gotta do that

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, so it has been a long time since I did anything with radios and never really got into that part much so...I am looking to replace my Saturn head unit with something similar to this android version http://www.ebay.com/itm/332212692834 I am guessing that it has a built in amp also since it lists power output at 4x45? however it does appear to have it's output in the form of rca cables. I have an 07 Irl with Aas, Onstar, xm, 6 disk with amp. I am not planning on doing anything crazy and only want audio quality similar to factory. No new amps, no subs and would prefer not to replace the factory speakers if I don't need to. I want to keep all the original functionality if possible. Think this head unit will do that without re wiring the car?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, so it has been a long time since I did anything with radios and never really got into that part much so...I am looking to replace my Saturn head unit with something similar to this android version http://www.ebay.com/itm/332212692834 I am guessing that it has a built in amp also since it lists power output at 4x45? however it does appear to have it's output in the form of rca cables. I have an 07 Irl with Aas, Onstar, xm, 6 disk with amp. I am not planning on doing anything crazy and only want audio quality similar to factory. No new amps, no subs and would prefer not to replace the factory speakers if I don't need to. I want to keep all the original functionality if possible. Think this head unit will do that without re wiring the car?
that should work as long as you have the proper wiring harness. Read back a little bit and there might be some info in here to help. No re wiring should have to be done. All plug and play, with proper harness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK so on the new head unit the instructions say- Gray/white/purple/green audio outputs with 45w of power- connect to original speakers.-- However since we are already amped we need to connect to the preamp outputs. In this case the RCA jacks on the back labeled for front/rear-L/R. "Notice the RCA audio outputs need to connect to extra AMP". Correct?

Also nothing in the instructions about the polarity of the RCA jacks, but I am guessing that audio RCAs are pos (colored) inside terminal and neg (black stripe) outside terminal?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts