Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 week to find the best clutch i can find.
Please help me to find out who`s making clutch for the rl.
I can have mine rebiuld for about 725$ can, yes i know$canadian.
They promise me thats gonna be good for 350 whp, i think thats a way enough but still want to compare the price.
If you know cie who`s having something for th rl please let me know. :rolleyes:
Good news for canadian onwer, for the gear noise in the trans. my car gonna be fix.......with saab part.
They told me i will be the first canadian rl to be fix for that :rolleyes: .That is a good news, and my dealer in Aylmer QC is extremely kind to help me big time now, after difficult times they are giving me a great attention and the owner there know the reason i bought a performance division product, he own 2 :D .
Now seriously i need to find a cluctch.
Thanks and i really appreciate every one who gonna try to help me out.
Respectfully Chris.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
If the tranny noise is fixed, please tell them to tell GM so that they can fix everyone else's. And best of luck to you my fellow canadian.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
XeroState said:
If the tranny noise is fixed, please tell them to tell GM so that they can fix everyone else's. And best of luck to you my fellow canadian.
Actually, *** posted a TSB on the noise...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
call aci racing they can custom make anything you want. ill have to find the number or do a search i order from them all the time for anything that is not readilly available. they make them right there even the pucks and all are made in house. they are in cali. when i get i tomm ill get the number for you

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
spoke to my friend at aci tonight they will produce a clutch for us!!! there will be a few options available. because aci is a manufacture they dont sell direct to you through only through thier retailers. they have been around a long long time, i personally use thier clutchs in all my cars except my 300zx which when the hks goes i will install one of thiers. i have sold clutches fromthem for about 4 years with NEVER a problem, i think maybe once or twice in that time they may have shipped the wrong one but immediatly shipped the right one out to me before i even had the other one back to them!!! that is awsome no one else i deal with does that!!! we will have a few options. which can be stated when ordered.

a standard clutch with upgraded pads and hardened pressure plate for small gain over stock clutch about 25%

a 6 puck style clutch with fully hardened pressure plate for 300+ hp, this will vary depending on what materials you want for the pucks to be. they can be carbon, kevlar, copper ceramic, or sintered iron. the iron is NOT RECCOMENDED as a daily clutch as it is very hard on the drivetrain. the kevlar or copper is really the best way to go both are 350+ capable.

and a 4 puck style. which they do not really recc for daily driving, these engae even harsher than 6 puck ones tend to do. they can even do a three puck but i dont recc those reallu at all.

i will be setting this up with them and posting part number for each model here. they are made to order clutchs which means when you order one they make one. this only takes 2-3 days to make one and then shipping time depending on where you are. right now they said they may allow orders to be placed directly from them or through us. i will have further info tomm as far as pricing and thing like that for each kind as mentioned above. ill post back as usual tomm thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot everybody.
I am looking on my side to and i will post my results to.
And for the gear noisr in the tranny, the got a tsb since the 18th of may in canada, and i will give feed back on that, thanks again. :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Anyone who's bought a clutch without proper R&D knows the woes of rebuilding a blown trans. I've done it, and as have other S-Series owners.

Do yourself a favor, stick with stock until ACT comes out with theirs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
garland said:
Anyone who's bought a clutch without proper R&D knows the woes of rebuilding a blown trans. I've done it, and as have other S-Series owners.

Do yourself a favor, stick with stock until ACT comes out with theirs.
Couldn't have said it any better. :eek:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I was about to post a new thread, then I saw this, so I will throw my two questions in here:
1) ZFACTOR: Tell me more about this clutch you are procuring... How much, When, Where are you located (PM me this, if you'd like)
2) This ACT clutch? anyone have a $ and a time estimate?

I just put the K&N in last saturday, went to the beach, and ended up racing every sally, dick, and jane in the eastern half of NC, and when they weren't around, i would just race the imaginary skittle in the lane next to me.... Both on the highways to the beach and at the beach itself.... Just because that whine of WOT + K&N = Crack for me... So me, being the total douche bag that I am, f'd up my clutch a little... I normally don't drive like an ass, it was just this weekend, I was in a mood. It still engages fine for daily driving, but when I got WOT, it slips for a second or so before it drops back down and engages...

So the moral of the story is that I don't have to get this taken care of tomorrow, as I am not damaging anything else, but it will become an issue with time...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I believe the guys name was Dennis that I talked to with ACT. He said they just started R&D and not to expect anything right away. He said 2 months and they'll have some options.

Josh

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
spoke to aci racing i should have mine in hand by the end of the week. im not sure of price yet probably between 300-400 though.
and as far as act goes. you all will bash me im sure but....... i am not a act fan. i have had numerous act clutches and was never totally pleased with any of them. sorry to say this. my act in my nissan was horrible on acceleration as far as chatter was concerned and didnt last very lon either. i have had this experience ona few occasions with them. ever since i found this other company i have used thier clutches and sell them all the time. have never had the same problems in my nissan with them as with the act. not knocking act they do make good stuff but i believe thier stuff as with anyone will work better in some applications than other as is the way i feel with any company i dont believe that one company makes the best of everything. i have no idea how the aci racing clutch will work because its not installed yet. but i do know that i have yet to be let down by them and if i ever had a problem they took care of it right away. not the case with act. i will post pics of mine when i get it before it goes in so you can see it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yeah, I can understand where you are coming from - everyone has their bad experiences but honestly when it comes to saturn clutches for the s-series they were about the only brand to get it right. I personally have a spec stage 3 clutch in my white saturn but I know it's just a matter of time before that trans blows (especially with the phantom grip that is in it as well). When that one nukes an ACT street disk, mp3 trans, and welded diff pin are going in.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
The clutch on this car feels like a really weak link to me.
I Agree, but I would rather that be the weak link then the tranny or the engine. Both of those seem to be solid to me.

zfactor said:
spoke to aci racing i should have mine in hand by the end of the week. im not sure of price yet probably between 300-400 though.
and as far as act goes. you all will bash me im sure but....... i am not a act fan. i have had numerous act clutches and was never totally pleased with any of them. sorry to say this. my act in my nissan was horrible on acceleration as far as chatter was concerned and didnt last very lon either. i have had this experience ona few occasions with them. ever since i found this other company i have used thier clutches and sell them all the time. have never had the same problems in my nissan with them as with the act. not knocking act they do make good stuff but i believe thier stuff as with anyone will work better in some applications than other as is the way i feel with any company i dont believe that one company makes the best of everything. i have no idea how the aci racing clutch will work because its not installed yet. but i do know that i have yet to be let down by them and if i ever had a problem they took care of it right away. not the case with act. i will post pics of mine when i get it before it goes in so you can see it.
OK, Z keep me in the loop with this. Since I have less then 10k on this clutch, I probably can keep my berings, right? What about the flywheel, should I replace that? I do not have the tools to resurface it, so unless there is somewhere that will do it while I wait, I will just have to replace it or do nothing with it. What other seals/gaskets will I need to do this job? I have never done this on a FWD car, only once on an RWD S-10. But a coworker has done his focus, and he said that we could do it at his place one weekend. Could you PM me where you are located, if you are say within 300 miles, I might take a day trip out to your place.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
should be able to with the bearings, but the kit will come with new ones anyway so if you want to change them its up to you. i figure since ill have it open i may as well change them out. sorry im in florida

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
dazednconfused75 said:
The clutch on this car feels like a really weak link to me.
as it should be. i'd prefer my clutch to go out before i start to snap half axles...

after all the hell i give it, i can dump it at 3k and burn through 1st and 2nd before gaining traction. this even results in dual patches, which supprised me at the time.

though when more power becomes an issue, an upgraded clutch will likely be needed.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Well, here are the symtoms, guys, let me know if you think that it is the clutch... I am about 96.56546456546% sure it is... If i am in 5th going say 50 or 60 just plodding along, and I punch it, the rpms will go up to about 3500 - 4000 and then drop back down a second later... This didn't happen during the weekend, just when I got home from it. It happenes in other gears too, but that is the most noticable. I wouldn't think that I would have burned all the way through it, but who knows... I have less then 10k miles on it..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts