Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im thinking of removing my catalytic converters...can someone tell me the pros and cons of this and what work load this job would be.

also since our tach is like 600 rps slower than the actual rotations of the engine im wondering if i complain to the dealership and tell them to re flash my computer with the 2005 program it might fix this problem?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
it shouldn't make much of a difference, GM used their biggest truck cat for this car, so essentially you have a high flow cat already. you MIGHT see some extra performance, but i'd say it isn't worth it until the cat is actually restricting things, which will be a while

·
Registered
168 Posts
the 05 tach is off also so it wouldn't make any difference

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well it depends, other than voiding your waranty, are you planning any other exhaust modifications??
Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but the O2 sensor requires a certain ammount of back pressure to opperate corectly, also if we have more than one O2 sensor ( example one before and after the cat) one will get a bad reading and potentially throw a code) which could have detrimental effects on performance, unless there is a way to give the computer a constant good on the one after the cat (if it even applies to us, I have not had a chance to go under the car) IMO especially if you have any kind of state inspection i would leave the cat and upgrade everything else (headers and 2.5+ cat back) and see comprobale gains, like Vita said, we already have a "high flow"

·
Registered
767 Posts
It will sound like crap, smell like a lawnmower, smoke bad when its cold, and you might not even gain any power. I had my stock cat blow out after 200 miles. It was replaced a couple days ago, and it feels stronger with the cat compared to when there wasnt one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
unknownsuperhero said:
Well it depends, other than voiding your waranty, are you planning any other exhaust modifications??
Anyone correct me if I am wrong, but the O2 sensor requires a certain ammount of back pressure to opperate corectly, also if we have more than one O2 sensor ( example one before and after the cat) one will get a bad reading and potentially throw a code) which could have detrimental effects on performance, unless there is a way to give the computer a constant good on the one after the cat (if it even applies to us, I have not had a chance to go under the car) IMO especially if you have any kind of state inspection i would leave the cat and upgrade everything else (headers and 2.5+ cat back) and see comprobale gains, like Vita said, we already have a "high flow"

meh, you dont need backpressue for the 02 sensor, and you will throw a code, but the limp code isnt thrown by the after cat 02, just the first one, an 02 simulator will fix that anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts