Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering pulling the backseats out and close in the back with either
fiberglass, aluminum, etc. Has anyone else done this mod? BeRad

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I did it in my old Dodge Shadow Convertable. Put some speakers there too. Too bad the system was worth more than the car :D.

It was made of wood covered with matching carpet.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Tek said:
I was gonna pull my backseats and have a custom stereo in back, cause I like my trunk space, gotta have space to put dead bodies..... LOL, I kid, I kid.
Man, we already got a 3-body trunk, whatcha need, a 6 person one? You gotta learn to deal with your problems one or two at a time!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seat Removal

Is this a permanent change? Is there a significant performance gain associated with the mass savings? It would be interesting to see how heavy the seats are,how difficult they are to remove, and how much additional space (I believe we have the most trunk space in our class) is available. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My idea is a bottom hinged deck that way you could open towards the front seats so that I'd still have cargo space if I needed it. Part of the reason of course is to reduce weight, a little less weight means a little faster. :D
With that in mind I was going to stay away from wood, it's heavy. I think fiberglass with light weight cloth similar to the car's carpet in color with a layer of light weight insulation material for trunk noise reduction and interior temp control.
I've pretty much made up my mind to go ahead with this mod, I'll keep the forum posted on my efforts. A two-seat RL! I love the sound of that! :D
BeRad

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
BeRad said:
Part of the reason of course is to reduce weight, a little less weight means a little faster. :D
That's why I don't let fat people ride in the car

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
IeatRice said:
That's why I don't let fat people ride in the car
That's a little mean, just don't allow them in the car when you plan to race...if its a street race, kick them out and tell em you'll be back to get them in a couple of minutes...lol...what, I've done it, they understood as he is a car nut..he laughed after cuz he knew he could've been in the car and I still woulda of won (cavi..pff). Tho I guess on his way out, he told the other driver "he needs to lighten up to beat your car"...I laughed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was wanting to have some sort of platform or cushioning designed, that i could swap in and out as easily as the seats come out. It would make it alot easier to haul my dog around. He's getting a little hefty.

Also, I took mine out for a little while and threw some blankets down over everything. While it did work for my dog it wasn't secure so he would slide a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts