Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2003 ION stick shift 2.2 engine. Having an annoying problem that I'd like to clear. When driving at low RPM and low speed, the car will buck and even start to missfire. I do not have any check engine lights on. I recently replaced downstream O2 sensor due to CEL but this problem was there before this.

Example: Today I was driving at 45 mph in 5th gear (1500 RPM) going up a hill (route 6) and the car jerked/bucked. I pulled back on the gas and the jerking stopped. I know 45 is a little slow for 5th gear but the jerking should not happen.

Often when the car is cold, and sometimes when warm, I'll be pulling out of Turkey Hill in first, shifting to second and the car jerks.bucks until the speed is compatible with a higher RPM.

Overall the car runs good but this jerking bucking might get me killed because sometimes when pulling out in a busy traffic area if I don't rev the crap in first gear, when I shift to second the car will start missing and sputtering until I downshift and start over to clear the misfire condition (No CEL).

I'm thinking the EGR valve is dirty or a fuel injector?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Have you checked your spark plugs? Coil pack may also be bad. Not as common on the cassette style, but I have had it happen.

May be worth it to put a thing of fuel cleaner in, new plugs(check gap, use a.c. delco) and let it idle a bit.

See if there is any pending codes. There could be stored codes that haven't displayed yet.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Check electrical..check fuel.. clean throttle body but it may be you timing chain tensioner.. symptoms sound similar to what mine was doing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts