Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a problem with my old Malibu which was the AntiTheft system.

Easy fix for that:
Turn key to on position.
Antitheft light blinks on dash for 10-20 minutes.
Then antitheft light stops blinking.
Car starts.
I spent money on a battery, mechanic, tow, alternator and starter on that problem.

This Saturn seems similar.
Took to mechanic 2x.
Starter replaced.
Battery replaced.
Fuse box under hood was loose. I thought maybe loose wires. Replaced with used one.

Saw a clip on YouTube which I think shows the " lock picture/antitheft icon blinking. Think it said leave key in on position till it stops in 10 minutes.

This one lights up and shuts off in a second.
No blinking icon.
So I tried the reset somebody posted online which says turn key on for 10. Then off. Then on for 10 then off. Then on for 10 and off....and start.
Nope.

Starter kicks good but nothing after that.

Anybody have a clue?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this a manual or auto? Do all the lights go out when you try to start or do the normal ones stay on like if you just put it in accessory mode?
They stay on. Because I tried a antitheft reset for a 2007 which didn't work. 10 minutes on and off 3x.

The AntiTheft light comes on for a second.
And goes out. But for 2004 it should blink until reset, correct?
The rest stay on in on position.
The battery has been disconnected multiple times and I never had to reset. Which seemed strange that antitheft light immediately went out.
It used to start even like that. No reset needed after disconnecting battery

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It may or may not be the AntiTheft.
I'm just thinking it might be.
Had input from others that maybe it's air or fuel or flywheel....a bunch of things. maybe ignition.
I didn't take the column covers or anything off yet

It started happening once in awhile. Killed the battery. Replaced. Worked awhile then began not starting again.
Took to mechanic and they said " dead spot in starter".
Replaced starter.
worked a couple times.
Then quit starting.
Towed to another mechanic.
he noticed that the fuse block under hood was very loose. He replaced it with a used one.
We thought maybe a short or something.

It worked one time after that. Drive it home.
Started and used it for one day. And now it won't start again.

· Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
Clutch switch working?
I'm trying to remember what the symptoms of the "white wire" fix were for the early ions. It's base model, yea?
Think it was a security bypass

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There was confusion only if it is a 1 or 2 because of the year maybe.
The clutch does catch. The peddle hooks to a plastic arm and it catches sometimes.

Both mechanics assured me that what they fixed were the problems. The fuse block and starter.
Not the case. I'm driving home now(not in the Ion). I'll be back in 45 minutes or so.

· Super Moderator
1,874 Posts
There's a switch the clutch pedal hits as you press the peddle in. That switch needs to work for the vehicle to start also

· Registered
5,203 Posts
I dont think it is the clutch switch cause it is activating the slanoid in the starter. Try this, out it in nutral and roll the car back a few feet. This should move the fly wheel and then try again. I am wondering if the fly wheel is damaged and missing teeth so it is not connecting. I have my manual transmission class on Wed and will ask my teacher for thiughts and let you know

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I dont think it is the clutch switch cause it is activating the slanoid in the starter. Try this, out it in nutral and roll the car back a few feet. This should move the fly wheel and then try again. I am wondering if the fly wheel is damaged and missing teeth so it is not connecting. I have my manual transmission class on Wed and will ask my teacher for thiughts and let you know
Ok. Will do. Thank you.
If I can figure out how to a ctually film it on my phone and put it up here, I will. The sound might be helpful.
The type of click.
The initial kick shakes the engine a bit. So it's strong.
The clicking is after that if you hold the key all the way forward when starting.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Passenger side wheelwell has a manufacturers hole with access to a nut/bolt.
Is that the nut/bolt which turns the camshaft to turn flywheel an inch to check if broken teeth may be an issue?

Edited....I found the correct 22mm nut. Turned it easily 3/4 turn.
I guess it isn't flywheel teeth which is the problem.
Still won't start.
Putting my portable jumper positive right to positive starter post tomorrow and see what that does.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just talked to my teacher and he says it sounds like the starter is not getting enough power and you might have an voltage drop somewhere. Beyond that I really cant say.
I tested the positive post on the solenoid/starter as my wife turned key. It reads the same as if I test the positive battery post.
About 12v.
Surprised me.
I thought it might be weaker.

There is a positive post coming up out of fuse block under hood and that only reads over 7. Less than 8.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts