Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen my first one on the road yesterday at my gf's school. When it went to take off i seen smoke coming out of the tailpipe allready. I wouldnt think an 04 have that many miles. Are they known to do this? At first I thought maybe it was an regular 2 door ion but it had the wing, badge, and rims...didnt see the front bumper tho.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Without seeing/smelling it, I couldn't say for sure, but I doubt it was oil.

Two things:
1) If the car's cat hasn't yet warmed up, a little carbonization (i.e. partially burnt fuel) could be coming out the tail pipe.

2) If he is burning cheap gas (i.e. 87), the ECU may be running it a little rich causing the same effect listed above. Especially if he switches between high and low octane gas often.

He also could have a gasket leak, but these little Eco's are tough machines.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Smoke doesn't always mean something bad, and it's not always smoke. It could be one of the two things listed above, or it could just be steam, like all cars have right after they start up on days under 50°. Since you're in Ohio, I know that most days it hasn't been reaching 60° until late afternoon or evening, so if you saw it when it was cooler outside, it may have just been starting up and still getting all the steam out of there. Your car does the same thing, I promise. ;)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
violakat03 said:
Smoke doesn't always mean something bad, and it's not always smoke. It could be one of the two things listed above, or it could just be steam, like all cars have right after they start up on days under 50°. Since you're in Ohio, I know that most days it hasn't been reaching 60° until late afternoon or evening, so if you saw it when it was cooler outside, it may have just been starting up and still getting all the steam out of there. Your car does the same thing, I promise. ;)

you are right..mine does what u stated..but this was yesterday at 4 in the afternoon and it def was smoke..not steam. Bluish color to it as well. I am not knocking the redline quality was just wondering, maybe bad maintenance>?

·
Registered
524 Posts
You have to remember the Redline uses synthetic oil right off the bat. Which most people know isn't the best to seat rings. With that said the car will take longer to seat properly and will burn some oil. Many cars have this problem that use synthetics right off the bat. For example, S/C Benz's and Mini's...

Tom

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did not know that! Thanks. I run synthetic for the last 4k miles..but before it was conventional oil. I never seen any smoke except now that i have no cats and an offroad pipe when i get on it sometimes there is a little bit but its not hardly at all, but i know its the pipe...at least i think it is, it never did before the pipe and its only got 61k on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. A little puff from a wide open throttle run is perfectly normal. When full throttle is activated, the PCM goes into an open loop mode and starts dumping fuel into the chamber. Thus, the car runs quite rich and at upper RPM you are seeing the effects of the rich mixture. I wouldn't worry at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.