Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do more tutorials like this!

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Step 1. Place the steering wheel in a position where the tires are straight and the wheel is level.

Steering Wheel

Step 2. Look on both the right side and left side behind and on the side of the plastic steering column cover for 2 holes about the size of a screwdriver. (I drilled them slightly bigger to fit a nice flathead screwdriver in. I also cut the back plastic piece in half because I could not figure out how to remove it.)

Steering Column plastic with drilled hole and cut

Step 3. Using a flashlight locate a metallic pin in these small holes. This is why i cut it so that I can show the inside better. You are looking for this metal pin here.

Metal Pin as Seen from hole

This is the front view with the airbag off. However it will help to understand what the pin does. Notice the hole in the white plastic with that piece of metal going through it. Also note my screwdriver as if it was entering through the hole on the side.
Metal pin as seen from inside

As the screw driver pushes on this pin, the pin moves as seen here. Notice how the pin is no longer in the circle.
Screwdriver pushing pin

This is a lock mechanism and the metal poles on the airbag have a notch in them that is lined up with that pin to keep it in place. This pole with the notch gets inserted in that plastic hole.
Pole with Notch on back of airbag

Step 4. As you are pushing the pin on one side, pull on the airbag on the same side until it pops out a little bit. Repeat for other side.

Right side pin

Step 5. Remove airbag by unplugging 2 harnesses on the back of the airbag. These are easy to remove, using the release button.

Step 6. Use a (19mm - not sure if it was) socket and turn counter clockwise on the nut in the center. I used my hand to add back pressure to the steering wheel to keep in from rotating.
Brass colored nut in center

Step 7. Once nut is removed, pull on wheel while adding a little vibration to remove it off the grooved column.

Step 8. To remove the turn signal/wiper cluster remove a philips screw at the top of the plastic casing.
Philips screw

Step 9. Pull the tabs on bot the left and right side out slightly and pull on the cluster.
Tab
Tab

Step 10. Consume Ice Cold Hoegaarden and look at result
Wheel off

Let me know what you guys think and if you want me to embed the images!

-Jake

·
Registered
1 Posts
Step 1. Place the steering wheel in a position where the tires are straight and the wheel is level.

Steering Wheel

Step 2. Look on both the right side and left side behind and on the side of the plastic steering column cover for 2 holes about the size of a screwdriver. (I drilled them slightly bigger to fit a nice flathead screwdriver in. I also cut the back plastic piece in half because I could not figure out how to remove it.)

Steering Column plastic with drilled hole and cut

Step 3. Using a flashlight locate a metallic pin in these small holes. This is why i cut it so that I can show the inside better. You are looking for this metal pin here.

Metal Pin as Seen from hole

This is the front view with the airbag off. However it will help to understand what the pin does. Notice the hole in the white plastic with that piece of metal going through it. Also note my screwdriver as if it was entering through the hole on the side.
Metal pin as seen from inside

As the screw driver pushes on this pin, the pin moves as seen here. Notice how the pin is no longer in the circle.
Screwdriver pushing pin

This is a lock mechanism and the metal poles on the airbag have a notch in them that is lined up with that pin to keep it in place. This pole with the notch gets inserted in that plastic hole.
Pole with Notch on back of airbag

Step 4. As you are pushing the pin on one side, pull on the airbag on the same side until it pops out a little bit. Repeat for other side.

Right side pin

Step 5. Remove airbag by unplugging 2 harnesses on the back of the airbag. These are easy to remove, using the release button.

Step 6. Use a (19mm - not sure if it was) socket and turn counter clockwise on the nut in the center. I used my hand to add back pressure to the steering wheel to keep in from rotating.
Brass colored nut in center

Step 7. Once nut is removed, pull on wheel while adding a little vibration to remove it off the grooved column.

Step 8. To remove the turn signal/wiper cluster remove a philips screw at the top of the plastic casing.
Philips screw

Step 9. Pull the tabs on bot the left and right side out slightly and pull on the cluster.
Tab
Tab

Step 10. Consume Ice Cold Hoegaarden and look at result
Wheel off

Let me know what you guys think and if you want me to embed the images!

-Jake
How do you take out the clock spring without moving the blinker or windshield cluster? Trying to put a nrg hub on it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts