·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chevy announces Corvette Z06 0-60 mph time and base price
June, 13th, 2005
www.gminsidenews.com

Corvette outperforms key competitive supercars at 1/3 the price​

DETROIT – The ultimate Corvette—the 2006 Corvette Z06—is posting numbers at the track and on the window sticker that will get attention. Chevrolet has announced that the fastest Corvette ever—the 505-horsepower Corvette Z06—will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear, and pricing will start at $65,800, including destination and freight charges.

“Corvette is a global icon for world-class sports car performance at an incredible value, and offering the fastest production Corvette ever at this price is another testament to that reputation,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “When you compare the Corvette Z06 performance stats to other supercars, you see numerous examples where you’re getting better performance with Corvette for one-third the sticker price of the competition.”

Developed alongside the Corvette C6.R race car, the Corvette Z06 uses advanced lightweight materials typically found only in the most exotic supercars. Use of weight-saving materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, titanium and magnesium give the 3,132-pound car a highly competitive weight-to-power ratio of 6.2 pounds per horsepower.

“The new Corvette Z06 is the dividend from competing so successfully in endurance racing,” said Dave Hill, Corvette’s chief engineer. “It combines the strong attributes of the new, sixth-generation Corvette with the spirit, technology and know-how from the race program to form an American supercar with outstanding credentials.” The highly anticipated Corvette Z06, which will be available in the fourth quarter of 2005, completes the sixth-generation portfolio, which also includes the 400-hp Corvette coupe and convertible.

Previous Corvette Z06 models, from the original 1963 model to the 2001-04 editions, incorporated suspension and engine upgrades that complemented existing Corvette systems. The 2006 Corvette Z06 is more differentiated from the standard Corvette than any other Z06 in history with every design element serving a performance function.

Corvette Z06 features include:

* LS7 7.0-liter/427-cubic-inch Gen IV V-8 engine with lightweight reciprocating components
* 505 horsepower (373 kw) @ 6300 rpm
* 470 lb.-ft. of torque (657 Nm) @ 4800 rpm
* 6-speed manual transmission,
* 7000 rpm redline
* Aluminum body structure with one-piece hydroformed perimeter rails frame and magnesium engine cradle
* Carbon-fiber composite front fenders, front wheelhouses and floors
* Dry-sump engine lubrication system
* Hand-built engine at GM’s new Performance Build Center
* Unique design styling that includes a larger grille, cold-air scoop and lower air splitter, wide-body front and rear fenders and a taller rear spoiler
* Engine, transmission and differential oil coolers and steering cooler

For all its race-inspired functionality, the Corvette Z06 also is designed to be refined as a daily driver with a sophisticated and comfortable interior and generous cargo volume. The Z06 will be offered in Machine Silver Metallic, Victory Red, Daytona Sunset Orange, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat and Black exterior colors.

General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM), the world’s largest automaker, has been the global industry sales leader since 1931. Founded in 1908, GM today employs about 321,000 people around the world. It has manufacturing operations in 32 countries and its vehicles are sold in 200 countries. In 2004, GM sold nearly 9 million cars and trucks globally, up 4 percent and the second-highest total in the company’s history. GM’s global headquarters are at the GM Renaissance Center in Detroit. More information on GM can be found at www.gm.com.

Taken from GMInsideNews.com http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15947

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just drove my dads 04 Z06 around the block...they are really fast cars and really fun to drive but I like the old body style much better the new one may be faster but the old one still has that old corvette style.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
"will achieve 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds while still in first gear"...oh GOD :eek: !!! We almost hit redline in 2nd at that speed at nearly double the time...(lol, I know I know, you'll say you can't compare the two cars, but watch me). It weighs more than we do by a bit by having twice the cylinders and over 3 times the displacement making over twice the power. I think the race would be over in oh a rough estimate of 1.7 seconds....lol. But DAMN! If only I had money to spend, the RL would be the winter beater and the Z06 would by the money roller in the summer.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Well guys, interestingly enough, I got home tonight from work and there was a blue one (i.e. new Z06) sitting in my driveway. Sure as shit, my dad's going on a captured-fleet drive for the higher-ups at the tech center, so he has one for a couple days, I'll be driving it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it makes me feel :D

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
You lucky son of a bitch. You truely are the monkey god. Take pics and drive the hell outta of it for all of us...(you better have pics of many black marks on the ground)

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
Well guys, interestingly enough, I got home tonight from work and there was a blue one (i.e. new Z06) sitting in my driveway. Sure as shit, my dad's going on a captured-fleet drive for the higher-ups at the tech center, so he has one for a couple days, I'll be driving it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it makes me feel :D
Hmmmmmmmmmm, is he going to have it until Saturday?

Can you get some pics of it?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
He's in bed right now, it's dark out, and i don't know where the digi is. I'll get some photos as soon as I can; I think he's only got it for a couple of nights though. I'll let you know how it pans out though, I should have the opportunity to drive it when he gets home from work tomorrow evening. He has to go w/ me when I drive it, and I have this nagging feeling that the only words will be "slow down, you're going to kill us, slow down, you're going to get arrested, you're doubling the speed limit on the interstate . . . don't you DARE try to triple it . . . oh my god, why did you do that with the brakes? My teeth are on the dashboard right now . . . wait shouldn't you slow down for this . . . AUGH! Oh my god, I can't believe you took that corner THAT fast!" LOL. Sorry guys.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
urbanmonkeygod04 said:
He's in bed right now, it's dark out, and i don't know where the digi is. I'll get some photos as soon as I can; I think he's only got it for a couple of nights though. I'll let you know how it pans out though, I should have the opportunity to drive it when he gets home from work tomorrow evening. He has to go w/ me when I drive it, and I have this nagging feeling that the only words will be "slow down, you're going to kill us, slow down, you're going to get arrested, you're doubling the speed limit on the interstate . . . don't you DARE try to triple it . . . oh my god, why did you do that with the brakes? My teeth are on the dashboard right now . . . wait shouldn't you slow down for this . . . AUGH! Oh my god, I can't believe you took that corner THAT fast!" LOL. Sorry guys.
Yes thats all good and all...but shouldn't you start it off with a nice smoke show (its not your car, screw the tires) till you can't see much than go and see what the speedo says.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
OK guys, I well, I just got back from my drive in the 'Vette, with several things to report!

First of all, I was wrong, it wasn't a Z06, I couldn't tell in the dark, HOWEVER, it was an impressive show. Also, I was unable to get pictures; it's a pre-production model with options that even the media doesn't know about, so I was told explicitly by my father that I couldn't take photos.

As for what the car was, it was a 2006 coupe, and it had a few new things; the first was the XLR-borrowed lack of door handles & keyless ignition system, which was pretty cool. It had navigation, the Z51 suspension (magnetic shocks), upgraded brakes w/ drilled rotors, and a few other options.

The "Top Secret" part, which I PROBABLY shouldn't be writing about here, was the transmission. It was a 6-speed automatic with the paddle shifters, a la Ferrari. Oh yeah. The transmission was strong, and INCREDIBLY smooth - even at WOT, shifts were nearly imperceptible and it just kept going and going. The numbers on the heads-up display seemed like they were having a hard time keeping up with the acceleration numbers that this thing put down.

It was way too fast, even with just (I say JUST like it's not impressive) 6.0L LS-2. I definitely kicked the rear end out coming onto the freeway, hit about 110 before my dad made me shut it down. In manual shift mode, which I tested out on the windy road home, it was a whole lot of fun to just click down 2 gears and wail up an S-curve. The lack of a clutch was a little unnerving while selecting my own gears, but it definitely felt like I was in a damn race car, and it was lightning quick and also smooth. I felt like I was playing Michael Schumacher.

It handled flat, and smooth, and soaked up Michigan road bumps like a Caddy. Turns I would have taken at 50 and been a little concerned about in the Redline were good for 60 in the Corvette, and I didn't even feel like I was at the limit.

The brakes were good, but I didn't dig into them too hard for the sake of my dad's heart; the forays into the acceleration & handling were coronary-inducing enough.

The cockpit was EXTREMELY nice; all of the bits felt really good in your hands, from the short shifter to the leather-wrapped steering wheel. The seats held you in during the fun maneuvers, and still felt like they'd be comfy for a long haul. A few too many buttons for me though, and I'd probably have to own the car for a while before I'd figure out what they'd all do. The best part was the view from the cockpit; the fenders and hood are clearly visible from your seating position. The view out the front was good, aided by xenon head lamps, but I was a little leery changing lanes on the interstate because the mirrors on the sides didn't afford me a very good view, and when I checked my blind spots I'd find the B-pillar in my line of sight. I'm sure with a little more seat time, I'd get used to it.

The best part? It gets gas mileage comparable to the Redline. The average for the 500 miles on it was 23.1 (apparently, before my dad got it, the average economy was 24.7 :p ) Not too bad for a 6-liter 8 cylinder. I have a feeling the 6-speed automatic played a part, because at 70 mph it was humming just above idle.

All in all it was great, sorry for the exasperatingly long post!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.