Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's the issue...

I've got almost 15k miles on my Red Line so far.. D3XXFR on the forums lives near me... Now his car has the update and so does mine... however, his shifts A LOT smother than mine does and everything just feels tighter. Needless to say... he has less miles on his, but I dont think this is the problem. My 2nd gear (and sometimes 3rd) is very "tricky" all of the sudden. When I shift, I must give it more throttle than usual to get a smooth shift. D3X's car is smooth no matter what. Also, it will hesitate to accelerate after I shift (almost like the clutch is slipping, but without the high-rev). Any techs know what would cause this? Could something be loose? Does it sound like I need a new clutch? I don't beat on it at all. No burnouts.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry if my post seems to run-on... It's just that it's hard to explain what is happening...

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
You sure you're not just being paranoid with the car now that it runs different? The same 'surge in power' that everyone seems to feel after the update, I thought it was my car losing top-end power on the way home. I thought for sure that they didn't fix the cam sensor right, the timing was off, I'm losing power at top rpms, etc, etc. I'm not saying you're dumb or anything, but maybe looking for a new problem? It's hard to compare 2 cars like that, especially when 2 different people have been driving them, in 2 different ways, for 2 different lengths of time. Is the car warm when you do this? Cold? Just having more miles on your car can make a big difference between them.

If it helps at all, I don't give my car any throttle after getting out of first to shift smooth. Just push in the clutch and let off the gas, then BARELY give it any to get into the next gear, usually none. I do have the update done as well. Any chance you have different updates? I'm assuming that you asked which disc it was and compared with your near-by friend.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I had this happen to me once this morning after dropping my daughter off at school. I put it in second and there was a slight hesitation and a small backfire.

I couldn't recreate it again though. I'm not too sure that GM has the A/F ratio down pact yet.

Metalhead26 (Austin) said he dynoed his after getting the updat and his A/F was all over the place. :confused:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sp00ner said:
You sure you're not just being paranoid with the car now that it runs different? The same 'surge in power' that everyone seems to feel after the update, I thought it was my car losing top-end power on the way home. I thought for sure that they didn't fix the cam sensor right, the timing was off, I'm losing power at top rpms, etc, etc. I'm not saying you're dumb or anything, but maybe looking for a new problem? It's hard to compare 2 cars like that, especially when 2 different people have been driving them, in 2 different ways, for 2 different lengths of time. Is the car warm when you do this? Cold? Just having more miles on your car can make a big difference between them.

If it helps at all, I don't give my car any throttle after getting out of first to shift smooth. Just push in the clutch and let off the gas, then BARELY give it any to get into the next gear, usually none. I do have the update done as well. Any chance you have different updates? I'm assuming that you asked which disc it was and compared with your near-by friend.
I'm pretty sure I'm not looking for a new problem... I've tried different shifting techniques and still get the same results... cold motor or not. After D3X and I did the road test, I think there definately is a problem. I'll take it to saturn in 2 weeks to see what they have to say. I would take it next week, but my car will be on 4 jack stands for a few days ( getting my rims powder coated gun metal :-D ).

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Don't mean to change the subject BUT.........

You MUST post pics of your rims after the powdercoating. :D

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JPK said:
Don't mean to change the subject BUT.........

You MUST post pics of your rims after the powdercoating. :D
Indeed I will! I'm dropping them off at the shop on Saturday... I should have them back by Thursday (or earlier).

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Hmmm... I can say that I get a little hesitation every once in a while, no real specific situations, usually when shifting up. I'm even hesitant (pun intended) to call it hesitation, cause it almost feels like my foot coming off the gas just a little bit. This has happened maybe three times, so nothing that would really make me think about it much. It's also VERY mild, enough to make me wonder, but not enough to make me SURE that it's hesitation. Keep in mind that I'm used to old V-8's when it comes to hard driving and performance cars.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have this same problem after i got the update my shifts aren't as smooth but the car feels like it has a lot more power to it. It's worse when its cold rather then when the car is fully warmed up. But im just going to live with it lol

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, its A LOT worse when it's cold.... I'm gonna have the dealer take a looksie.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Whats funny is when they did the update the car felt like it did when i first picked her up. They just did the cam sensor update with the extended crank ECU update. I gave the bulliten # on the update you guys were talking about and they said they didn't have it. But im guessing it was the same one.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had the update done about 3 weeks ago. Initially there was NO hesitation but I'm experiencing some slight hesitation in first gear again. Granted its not nearly as bad as it was initially but it feels like its resurfaced again. I've heard that there is yet another Program for this as well...........Back to the drawing board I guess............

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i have experienced this as well, but i've attributed it to being cold, not the engine, but the rest of the components. i believe the clutch is still cold and that's why it'll slip a bit, but after driving for a while it'll go back to normal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since I'm new to the car... got mine 3 weeks ago. YAY!!! However I don't have much history to work with...

So, I am wondering... why is the update to the ECU required?

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
My car feels like it should perfect power band all the way through no hesitation and no more long starts.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vita said:
i have experienced this as well, but i've attributed it to being cold, not the engine, but the rest of the components. i believe the clutch is still cold and that's why it'll slip a bit, but after driving for a while it'll go back to normal.
Someone mentioned to me that saturn should be tightening up our clutch every oil change? Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts