Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I recently purchased my redline around two months ago. I love the car, and I learned to drive stick in it. Three weeks ago, 2nd gear started grinding out of nowhere. I got off the freeway, and when I went to put it in 2nd after the light turned green, it grinded. The grind isn't too bad, but it definitely was not like that before. I did some research and I'm thinking it is the synchro for 2nd gear.

The car isn't too old, only 89,000. It probably was partially my fault since I learned to drive manual in the car, but there is no way I could've ruined the synchro in just a month of having the car. Anyways, I took it to two tranny shops, who both said it has something to do with the transmission for sure. The problem, since these cars aren't easy to come by, is that they couldn't find any rebuild kits or low mileage used transmissions. The car is still driveable, but the fact that second gear is almost shot at this point really sucks.

Now, I'm feeling kind of stuck. They basically told me my only options were to wait until I find a transmission that is low enough miles, and pay more than what I bought the car for to do a tranny swap. Otherwise, I can pay the same price to put a high-mileage transmission in now that isn't guaranteed to last. Do I have any other options? Has anyone had a similar experience? I was thinking of selling it to prevent having to dump that much money in the car, but wanted to see if I could get some other opinions first. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably needs a trans. Not uncommon at all.
Is it worth replacing the trans? I don't know how long these cars usually last, but I heard 2nd gear problems were common. Apparently the owners before me maintained maintenance fairly well. The car only has 89,000 miles and is in great condition, so I feel like the car has a decent amount of life left.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They last if you keep up with maintenance like any other car.
Its worth doing the trans. Its normally 3rd gear to go though, from people beating the crap out of them. Just show it respect, and it'll last.
And make sure you keep up with oil changes as well otherwise you'll be doing the timing chain sooner than later. Wouldn't hurt to replace the old tensioner with the new style one while youre at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They last if you keep up with maintenance like any other car.
Its worth doing the trans. Its normally 3rd gear to go though, from people beating the crap out of them. Just show it respect, and it'll last.
And make sure you keep up with oil changes as well otherwise you'll be doing the timing chain sooner than later. Wouldn't hurt to replace the old tensioner with the new style one while youre at it.
I think Rebel said this in his post above, but the redline runs with a F35 trans right? ZZPeformance sells a new F35 transmission that I'm thinking might be the way to go. That way I don't have to hunt down a low-mileage used one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its gonna cost some but its really only the synchronisers that are worn out from hard and fast jamming the shifting knob

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've driven only manual transmissions all my life, with my Redline being the most recent. It has performed wonderfully for 210,000 miles. So as others have said, take care of it, and shift properly ... it will last! But I've also had an old transmission rebuilt on my classic Ferrari, where replacements are not available at any price. A good mechanic can properly do it. And worth it if you cherish your Redline and want to enjoy it for years to come in its original form.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yup you synchro is going out. Get on zzperformance site. They have new trans for 750. Plus shipping. Not cheap but the best solution. Just broke mine outta storage l. Got greasy hands now from an oil change and new muffler. These cars are awesome, you should definitely fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts