Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up with the 2nd gear lag... it's killer in first gear and then when you shift to 2nd at times it seems to wanna buck and back off.... then at times it justs roasts the tires off... what will fix this?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I have this problem also, but it only seems to happen when the car is cold. I talked to someone at the dealership about it and they told me I would need to leave my car there overnight to have the problem checked out. I plan on leaving it there I just haven't had time.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
The 1-2 shift is the largest ratio change in the shift sequence...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Just about everyone has this, some may not even realize it. Sometimes it it bogs, sometimes it hesitates & then goes, sometimes it's a rocket ride like you expect. I've found no relation to engine temp, either. It'll be fine cold & bog after it's warm or vice-versa. I'm not going to speculate what it is but be sure to tell your dealer so that enough of us complain so Saturn will find a solution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Myself personaly i belive it has to do with the car being fuel injected. The cylenders become backed up. When your shifting the engin starts to slow down and the comp stops feeding fuel. then you hammer on it again and it takes a sec for the comp to start feeding it fuel again. Then you have the S/C pumpin air into the cylinders and it developes an influx. Your air to fuel mixture is not balanced. I could be totaly wrong but this is what i belive it to be.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wrong thread?

This may be the wrong thread to mention this but I heard from my friend at a dealership that when he was testing out his redline the person working on his found out that it may be limiting boost in first and second gear. I doubt this would show up on the boost guage, its probably releasing boost after that reading. Can anyone verify this or can anyone please tell me I'm wrong. That would be skeet if it were.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i've found that when it's cold it does it more... then sometimes it doesn't do it at all.... it's getting to be a little annoying though i hope that if any saturn or GM guys are on here maybe enough complaints will find a remedy... i'm sure it has something to do with the s/c but in what way i'm not sure.... then again it could be the gear difference or maybe a combination of the two....

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Redline686 said:
This may be the wrong thread to mention this but I heard from my friend at a dealership that when he was testing out his redline the person working on his found out that it may be limiting boost in first and second gear. I doubt this would show up on the boost guage, its probably releasing boost after that reading. Can anyone verify this or can anyone please tell me I'm wrong. That would be skeet if it were.
I'd tend to agree with your friend because the supercharger is definently louder in second gear than it is in first.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
my solution worked 100% I put the air box back to stock. I had the Barrys intake for quite a while now. Last week I was fed up with the car acting differnt day to day. I put the air box back together and its smooth as silk again. Before it would lag bad in every shift when it was cold and still the first few when it was hot.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
max_boost said:
I'd tend to agree with your friend because the supercharger is definently louder in second gear than it is in first.
My boost gage consistently hit 11.5psi in second and third. I'm assuming that it's about .5 psi low. It seems to be a bit below 0 when the car is off. The distance it goes below zero, is also about the same distance it's off from 12 psi. It's hard to see it in first, since I have to pay attention to too many things at once...

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
goofyguy said:
my solution worked 100% I put the air box back to stock. I had the Barrys intake for quite a while now. Last week I was fed up with the car acting differnt day to day. I put the air box back together and its smooth as silk again. Before it would lag bad in every shift when it was cold and still the first few when it was hot.
that's what i've done, and it's smooth as can be now, also "feels" more torquey than with the K&N on...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Mine is completely stock so no prev. set-up to revert to. Just doesn't make sense. I think there needs to be a new ECU update.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
and you get it after it's warmed up? strange.

just to confirm, but you've got the latest reflash?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
As far as I know, I have the latest update. I'm about due for maintenance so I'll see what the service dept. can do.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
Im going to try barrys mod again once I have some time to play with it and get the MAF perfect in there. That is what most of hte problem is caused by is that damn MAF makes no sense.

·
Registered
196 Posts
sgoodhope said:
Myself personaly i belive it has to do with the car being fuel injected. The cylenders become backed up. When your shifting the engin starts to slow down and the comp stops feeding fuel. then you hammer on it again and it takes a sec for the comp to start feeding it fuel again. Then you have the S/C pumpin air into the cylinders and it developes an influx. Your air to fuel mixture is not balanced. I could be totaly wrong but this is what i belive it to be.
I, too, believe this is more or less the case. The car runs much too rich at low rpm. When shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, the rpm drops rapidly and the extra fuel causes the engine to bog down and stumble. I noticed this after I had the latest reflash update. Then, after I installed the K & N CAI, I'd get a CEL from the car running too lean. This actually seemed to be the cure for the problem. The 1 - 2 stumble was completely gone. There were no more hesitations of any kind. Shifts were totally smooth in every gear every time. But I was worried about what the lean mixture would do in the upper rpm range. I couldn't get the CEL to go away, so I removed the CAI. Oh, well maybe after the PSI-FI kit I'll be able to put it back on.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
Mine came on and off for a week and a half, and now it's been gone for quite some time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well my car is completely stock and doing this... i just got my k&n cai today and haven't put it on yet.... i can't wait though... where is it you can get the ecu reflash?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts