Saturn ION RedLine Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bit of a long story but I'm going to shorten it up. All started on a road with no lights for about 6 miles with no traffic lights. Bout a 92 corvette (Seemed stock) and a 2003 350z (modified) were racing and i decided to play some. Needless to say they decided to stop playing before I could even switch lanes to catch up. I slowed down and a SRT-4 showed up beside when i was crusin at about 55-60MPH (Speed limit 45). He took off and i decided to follow. For about 2nd and 3rd I held right next to him and it seemed like his turbo spun up enough to start pulling away but he only got 1 car length away b4 he changed gears. I wanted to race him at the next light but he didn't wanna play. I have a feeling that I could have took him from the light. By the way my 04RL has no mods and it didn't seem like he had any either. But that's soon to change :D .

Recent Killz -> Lexus IS 300 2001, Mini Cooper Turbo (Modified), Focus SVT 2002, BMW 330i 2001, F150 Harley Davidson Edition, Jetta VR6, Civic SI (Modified) <- Feel like i'm starting to be a bully, gotta stop picking on little kids. :confused: . (Orlando, FL)

·
Registered
575 Posts
The only SRT4 in my area wanted another try. So far he is 0-1 against me. I contribute it to lack of driving skills cause i know it should be faster. Again, I beat him. We pull over in our usual meeting area, and he is just amazed. He said he read the numbers on both cars, and can't figure out why he can't beat me. I switch him cars and we race again. now, only driving an SRT4 2 times before (and once on an Autocross track), i decided it was about time to see if it was him or the car. I liked the fact that i could launch, but believe it or not, my RL was ahead of me for about 2 or 3 seconds. I tried to keep the turbo spooled, but couldnt keep it and i only beat him by a fraction of a second (maybe a fender length). This kid is seriously thinking about trading in the SRT4 for an RL. I see a bunch of people have done this so far. I've driven the SRT4 and still bought a redline. I just don't see what the beef is with these SRT4 guys. Stock SRT4 vs RL, the SRT4 needs a perfect launch and needs to keep the turbo spooled to beat us as bad as they think they can. I havent seen it or a video of them vs a RL. Anyone have one yet?

·
Registered
291 Posts
someone said they have one on here and they where looking for a host but i haven't heard anything since

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
nduchene said:
The only SRT4 in my area wanted another try. So far he is 0-1 against me. I contribute it to lack of driving skills cause i know it should be faster. Again, I beat him. We pull over in our usual meeting area, and he is just amazed. He said he read the numbers on both cars, and can't figure out why he can't beat me. I switch him cars and we race again. now, only driving an SRT4 2 times before (and once on an Autocross track), i decided it was about time to see if it was him or the car. I liked the fact that i could launch, but believe it or not, my RL was ahead of me for about 2 or 3 seconds. I tried to keep the turbo spooled, but couldnt keep it and i only beat him by a fraction of a second (maybe a fender length). This kid is seriously thinking about trading in the SRT4 for an RL. I see a bunch of people have done this so far. I've driven the SRT4 and still bought a redline. I just don't see what the beef is with these SRT4 guys. Stock SRT4 vs RL, the SRT4 needs a perfect launch and needs to keep the turbo spooled to beat us as bad as they think they can. I havent seen it or a video of them vs a RL. Anyone have one yet?

Is it the older model SRT-4 with 215 HP?

That's the only thing I can figure. I raced a stock '05 from a 50 mph roll and he ate my lunch.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
nduchene said:
Here they come... any second now... floods of 'em...

·
Registered
43 Posts
First off good kill..... it doesnt matter if the guy can't drive....cause a race isnt 100% car... its also driver skill

second.....

nduchene said:
Stock SRT4 vs RL, the SRT4 needs a perfect launch and needs to keep the turbo spooled to beat us as bad as they think they can.
What are you trying to say? When the turbo isnt spinning the SRT is less than a regular neon....it just simply isnt making any power.... thats like saying a RL isnt as fast without the supercharger..... Duh! if you are talking about brake boosting from a roll.... well yeah you have to keep the turbo spooled to get a good start... but thats a fact of life with any turbo car.

Sp00ner.... grow up man... the past few days the SRT owners that have posted have been positive... with even one SRT owner talking of making parts for the RL.... dont ruin the calm with your pessimism.

·
Superd00d
22,040 Posts
SporkLover said:
First off good kill..... it doesnt matter if the guy can't drive....cause a race isnt 100% car... its also driver skill

second.....

What are you trying to say? When the turbo isnt spinning the SRT is less than a regular neon....it just simply isnt making any power.... thats like saying a RL isnt as fast without the supercharger..... Duh! if you are talking about brake boosting from a roll.... well yeah you have to keep the turbo spooled to get a good start... but thats a fact of life with any turbo car.

Sp00ner.... grow up man... the past few days the SRT owners that have posted have been positive... with even one SRT owner talking of making parts for the RL.... dont ruin the calm with your pessimism.
Well, seeing as how that post has been there for a couple of days, right about the time all that was going on, it's a settled issue. Don't tell me to grow up, check your timelines better...

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
no you need to keep a load on the motor though. Bad for a clutch and brakes good for off the line performance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you shift quick enough you can keep the car in its powerband and the turbo spooled

·
Registered
683 Posts
(in my old SRT) I was near full boost at 2,300 rpm, If you float the clutch on a launch, and WOT shift, it is an entirely differnt car. Despite what most may thing the turbo lag is not a big issue, at least for me. I guess the compressor housing of the turbo being incorperated into the exhaust manifold is a good thing (unless you want to upgrade)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts